How much does it cost you to fly back to the UK?

bell123321

Hi,

Just seen some family who are visiting the UK but live in Perth. We were discussing the cost of flights and I was shocked to find out they have paid $2000 each for a return flight. Does it cost that much from Australia to come over to the UK? I have no immidiate plans to go back to the UK once we get over there but it is worth keeping the money spare in case of emergency's. It seems a big difference considering it is technically the same flight but just in the opposite direction. (I know things are relative) but they were compeltely shocked by how little we pay to visit them in comparison.

I just wondered what other people have paid to come back to the UK?

Yes it is a hell of a lot more to travel from Oz to UK. I just been away in the States and we met an oz from Melbourne, he was pretty much quoting the price you are saying above. I am looking at getting an open return for when we go so if we want to return for a visit later on. Then we can buy another one from Uk again, not sure how it works thought.

I was thinking on the same lines of you. Buying an open return but with flexible change of dates and if/when buy a single from the Uk to oz. I always knew it was more expensive but never realised how much more!

I thought open returns were only valid for a set period of time. Something like a year. Not really worth it if you spend a small fortune to go over there to fly back within a year to then have to fork out the airfare back to Aus again.

Personally when leaving the UK to emigrate I'd go on a one way ticket as unless there was an emergency I'd not be planning to return to the UK in the first year (nor the year after).

I always bank on $2500 for a return trip from Aus to UK and back. If I can get it for less than that then I am happy. I just got a return for my Dh for $800 but that was using points and pay so there are benefits of getting enrolled on Frequent Flyer programs (even if the airline does decide to ground ALL of its planes from time to time). Much cheaper going from UK to Aus

I was thinking on the same lines of you. Buying an open return but with flexible change of dates and if/when buy a single from the Uk to oz. I always knew it was more expensive but never realised how much more!

yes you can do open return some airlines do it 11 months in advance and some 12 months in advance......depending in the ticket you buy, a cost to change the dates will either be 100 per ticket or 135 per ticket and some time more - again depends on airline..... major bit to consider is that one way tickets are about 75% of return tickets...but when you add on changing dates etc......is it really worth it...and some times you end up not using the return leg, because your having fun in auz, or can not find the money to buy yet another ticket to come back.......

as some one said in previous post, stick to one of migration one way, you get better baggage allowance which you need, and also save cash for an emergency as it might not happen..........and i wonder when you get to immigration desk saying you are there to stay in auz, how to show them that with a return ticket ?????

this is something i worry about, what if theres a emergency and i dont have enough cash to get back!

stacey...no easy answer to that one...calculate it into the cost of emigrating, so its always there..... some friends have signed up to be a courier with companies like dhl or ups, as last minute stand by passenges, but they are not allowed to carry baggage....thats taken up by courier company, and you clear customers and deliver parcel or documents to office or place, where a car awaits you at airport.......that can work out about 50% of normal costs.....worth considering as an action plan if need be

Hi,

Just seen some family who are visiting the UK but live in Perth. We were discussing the cost of flights and I was shocked to find out they have paid $2000 each for a return flight. Does it cost that much from Australia to come over to the UK? I have no immidiate plans to go back to the UK once we get over there but it is worth keeping the money spare in case of emergency's. It seems a big difference considering it is technically the same flight but just in the opposite direction. (I know things are relative) but they were compeltely shocked by how little we pay to visit them in comparison.

I just wondered what other people have paid to come back to the UK?

we paid $2600 return with emirates to fly home on 21st dec for christmas .....and we booked it at the start of this year ....so well in advance ......i believe the prices have now jumped to about $2800 return .....but the average for anytime of the year is around the $2000 / $2200 mark .....defo not cheap :nah:

mrs keily

Thanks everyone for your answers :biggrin: I think we will just have to make sure we have enough in the bank to cover an emergency that would mean we would have to fly back over. I do not think we will be back for a visit in a long time, as there are so many places to explore first that will be cheaper to visit, so will get just purchase a single instead when we do go. :witch-smile:

Thanks everyone for your answers :biggrin: I think we will just have to make sure we have enough in the bank to cover an emergency that would mean we would have to fly back over. I do not think we will be back for a visit in a long time, as there are so many places to explore first that will be cheaper to visit, so will get just purchase a single instead when we do go. :witch-smile:

Returns are almost as cheap, if not cheaper and you never know when you might need one!

thanks quoll, i was thinking about getting a credit card, we dont have one here tho. do you know how long i would have to wait over there till i could get one

Another strategy is to get a credit card which accrues frequent flyer points with one airline or another. We are in the throes of emergency travel at the moment and I got DH a ticket (with Qantas, so that will be interesting) for $800 using my points and pay. Last year I used points and got DS a return from UK to Aus for $350.

No idea how long it takes to get a credit card but you definitely need one if you are going to do things like rent cars - it might almost be worthwhile you getting a UK one, you can use it in Aus just the same.

We flew Air Asia and after all taxes had been added it came in at $3600 for 2 adult return tickets

I paid around $1400 return. It does depend on the time of year, and if you can book quite a way in advance you get the better prices.

They do have good specials from time to time too.

But probably no good for an emergency airline.

There are cheaper alternatives. If you are happy to go with Air Asia it should only be about $800 each way.

we looked at them ...but by the time we added on flying from stansted to glasgow it didnt come in that much cheaper ....plus we would have had about 4 stops .....thats just a pain in the ass as far as im concerned :biggrin:

mrs keily

Another strategy is to get a credit card which accrues frequent flyer points with one airline or another. We are in the throes of emergency travel at the moment and I got DH a ticket (with Qantas, so that will be interesting) for $800 using my points and pay. Last year I used points and got DS a return from UK to Aus for $350.

No idea how long it takes to get a credit card but you definitely need one if you are going to do things like rent cars - it might almost be worthwhile you getting a UK one, you can use it in Aus just the same.

I have a UK credit card, had not thought about keeping it, but I guess that is a good idea until it is possible to get one in Oz. :biggrin: It also sounds a good idea with getting one that gives you frequent flyer points. I am flying over in January for a trip with the OH and younger one, and have signed up to the airlines frequent flyer points scheme, hopefully will get some points in the bank (as such) :wink: