Land and home Packages

derham

We are hoping to move out to Perth next year and due to the high costs of buying a home it seems the best option would be a land and new build home package and move on after a few years after finding our feet. My big worries are as follows:

1. Are these estates miles away from any amenities (can't tell from web sites and Google), schools, shopping etc.
  2. Are they just for first time buyers.
  3. Do they have good broadband connections.
  4. Do they sell any better or worse than older properties.
  5. Is the quality good/bad.
  6. Would we be better buying an existing property on an established estate

I know it would depend on the location of the estate but I am looking for any general advice ideally from someone who has bought or is living in one of these land and home sites.

My wife is adament she is not moving to a run down 3 bed or a new build in the middle of no where, were we can't meet anyone ( more for the kids than us). Any help or advice would be helpfull.:huh:

G'day mate, had to have a gentle smile at that...:wink:

"My wife is adament she is not moving to a run down 3 bed or a new build in the middle of no where, were we can't meet anyone ( more for the kids than us). Any help or advice would be helpfull."

In 1963 I went from Smellbum to Perth. Had a trip down to Mandurah and several areas were being opened up where a block of land was £250, equivalent to 25 weeks' wages...These places were "in the middle of nowhere"

Today, 48 years later, these places are in Mandurah... almost city centre...Avalon Drive...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=West+Australia:mandurah+map&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x2a327ec8052c132f:0x504f0b535df4a60,Mandurah+WA&gl=au&ei=MRurTs3EOeqWiQeau6zEDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ8gEwAA

Cheers, Bobj.

New estates are in areas that have not previously been built up. Depending on what else is around they can be in a location between two parts of a town, or several miles outside it. You've got to bear in mind that the price quoted will probably be for the lowest spec and assuming that it's a class S site (less concrete needed for the slab). By the time you put on all the things you want you can easily add 30 - 50% onto the price.

Quality depends on the builder and what you pay; you can get brick vaneer places based on a softwood frame, or go the whole hog and get a double masonary place built, it all depends on what you want to spend. Having been personally involved in a lot of investigations as to why new builds are cracking and falling down I personally wouldn't buy one less than 3 years old - if it's going to be a lemon everything that could happen to it would have by then.

There are no generic yes or no answers to your questions. If you're prepared to pay for it, you can get the best quality, highest spec thing going, but if you go for the cheap option you'll know about it in the long run. You'd be better off finding out who the developer/ builders are and seeing what their reputation is. And remember that the prices quoted are probably not what you'll pay in the end.

Guest widesheds

I guess so, being from the construction industry will indeed help you to have a better outlook about the things and be able to diversify things efficiently. I would suggest you to look for some of your contacts as being from the construction business you ought to have plenty of them that would help you have some useful inputs.