DBC

Advice on Melboune Appreciated!

Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in St. Kilda, Melbourne and we are hoping to be over by the beginnning of January as his company is in the process of sorting out our visas.

We have a 4 month old baby and 2 labradors and so have been looking at Altona as a possible place to live - it seems to have lots of nice parks/walks and is much cheaper than the Eastern suburbs by the sea. Does anyone know this area and would recommend it? I know that we may be limited in terms of rental choice because of the dogs - any advice???

His company have offered us two weeks accomodation so we can sort ourselves out - is this enough time to find a rental or does the process take longer (therefore making it worthwhile arranging something before we go?)

I would also like to get an idea of monthly outgoings - e.g. is there a form of council tax etc? Based on this we may up or lower our rental budget - at the moment we are looking to spend no more than $400 a week.

Does anyone drive from this area to around St. Kilda and have any idea how long it would take? My husband doesn't want a huge commute and would prefer to drive.

Last question (promise!) - as I have just had a baby I go to lots of classes over here like swimming lessons, tiny talk etc, are there similar things in Melbourne?

Thanks in advance if you can help with any of this!

Hello, you could commute by car from Altona to St Kilda, the Westgate bridge is a bit of a bottleneck but it'd probably be 30-40 mins most days I'd guess, don't know about public transport. There are rates (council tax) over here but if you are renting it's paid by the landlord not the tennant, hope this helps.

Jeremy Corbyn on the EU  " A European bureaucracy totally unaccountable to anybody"

Travel to work could be an issue from altona, you either have to use trains and trams or do battle with the westgate bridge. From looking at altona last year it was still pricey don't know about you but i've rented where i could afford to buy, it saves uprooting the family too much. Try to negotiate for longer its a whole new country i'm only just starting to figure out where i want to live and thats 2 years in?

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar

Hi,

My husband has been offered a job in St. Kilda, Melbourne and we are hoping to be over by the beginnning of January as his company is in the process of sorting out our visas.

We have a 4 month old baby and 2 labradors and so have been looking at Altona as a possible place to live - it seems to have lots of nice parks/walks and is much cheaper than the Eastern suburbs by the sea. Does anyone know this area and would recommend it? I know that we may be limited in terms of rental choice because of the dogs - any advice???

His company have offered us two weeks accomodation so we can sort ourselves out - is this enough time to find a rental or does the process take longer (therefore making it worthwhile arranging something before we go?)

I would also like to get an idea of monthly outgoings - e.g. is there a form of council tax etc? Based on this we may up or lower our rental budget - at the moment we are looking to spend no more than $400 a week.

Does anyone drive from this area to around St. Kilda and have any idea how long it would take? My husband doesn't want a huge commute and would prefer to drive.

Last question (promise!) - as I have just had a baby I go to lots of classes over here like swimming lessons, tiny talk etc, are there similar things in Melbourne?

Thanks in advance if you can help with any of this!

You could try Mentone or Seaford, they are gettable to St Kilda and cheaper than the Beach Road suburbs such as Brighton and Sandringham etc. Or even Bentleigh or East Bentleigh that is a nice kind of suburb, strip shopping and good community round there. I guess the traffic is the main thing in the morning wherever you are, but some of the suburbs I have mentioned are okay, not too far out.

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

Altona is around 40 mins to St Kilda on a good day, but as others have mentioned, the Westgate bridge is the only way in by car, and can be very congested. The train would probably be far less stressful. Altona has a decent beach and Pier Street has cafe's, bars and decent every day shops. Lots of parks too as you know - perfect for walking the dogs.

Rental wise - we have friends who have just rented their lovely 3 bed in Altona Meadows (slightly further away from the beach) for $375 per week: 3 beds, polished floors, new kitchen and bathroom, large garden - so your $400 a week budget sounds reasonable.

Have you considered Newport/Williamstown/Yarraville? They are older areas with more character and much prettier, and a bit closer to the city.

Partner visa lodged 5/7/10, subclass 309 Partner visa granted on 29/10/10. Permanent Residency visa granted 15/11/12. :cool:

Lived here a long long time and I would never live on the other side of the city from where I worked. Its dynamite in rush hour and there is no avoiding the congestion.

The suburbs Olly mentions are fine for St Kilda commute as are Caulfield, North and South, Ormond Moorabbin, Cheltenham.

Have a look at the http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ if you follow the train routes you will find suburbs along them.

Parking in the inner areas such as St Kilda can be a problem as most of it is on street if not provided by the company people work for.

Good luck

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Yes, starting to see that living in the west might not be the best idea! Thanks for all the help, still looking, quite like the look of Cheltenham but it is really difficult when we only have pictures and Google maps!

We stayed in a short term rental in highett $100 a night it was really good for loking around that area.

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar