Drivers Licence

Guest Lpkm

Hi, Ive just passed my bike test here in the UK (wooo!). Whats the deal with driving over in QLD can I just transfer my licence? Dont tell me I have to take more tests over there pleaseeee! :cute:

Hi, Ive just passed my bike test here in the UK (wooo!). Whats the deal with driving over in QLD can I just transfer my licence? Dont tell me I have to take more tests over there pleaseeee! :cute:

congrats on the bike license.

according to this, you will be fine. I thought some states might require that you have held the license for a certain period, but QLD seems fine.

Getting a Queensland licence (for overseas licence holders)

Car and motorbike licence holders

If you are applying for a Queensland car or motorbike driver licence (class C, RE or R) and you hold, or have held within the past five years, a driver licence other than a learner licence, that corresponds to a class C, RE or R licence, granted:

• from New Zealand or a prescribed country, you will not be required to complete a written road rules test or a practical driving test

• from any other country - you will need to pass a written road rules test and a practical driving test to be eligible for a Queensland driver licence.

Prescribed Countries

The following countries are recognised by the Department of Transport and Main Roads as prescribed countries, as defined in schedule 4 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010 - (external territories of recognised countries are excluded):

• Austria

• Belgium

• Canada

• Croatia

• Denmark

• Finland

• France

• Germany

• Greece

• Guernsey

• Ireland

• Isle of Man†

• Italy

• Japan

• Jersey

• Luxembourg

• Malta‡

• Netherlands

• Norway

• Portugal

• Singapore

• Spain

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• United Kingdom

• United States of America

Guest Guest31881

When you apply for your QLD license, politely point out to them that it is for car and bike or the bike may get missed off. They tend to just look at the car license part.

If you've had the licence for less than a year, you may get put on P plates, but wouldn't have to take any more tests.

I know this applies to cars, don't know about bikes, but would assume this would be similar. P's just have slightly stricter limits on things, think can't go above 100kph, and zero blood alcohol instead of the 0.05 allowed once you're off the P's, that sort of thing.

If you've had the licence for less than a year, you may get put on P plates, but wouldn't have to take any more tests.

I know this applies to cars, don't know about bikes, but would assume this would be similar. P's just have slightly stricter limits on things, think can't go above 100kph, and zero blood alcohol instead of the 0.05 allowed once you're off the P's, that sort of thing.

must be different in QLD, I had passed my test in July and we got here in November and I didn't have to have P plates, just got put straight on an open licence. :smile:

must vary state to state then. In South Australia:

• If you hold a full (unrestricted) foreign licence and are under the age of 16 years you are not eligible to hold a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence.
  • If you hold a full foreign licence but are under the age of 16½ years, you may be issued a learner's permit.
  • If you hold a full foreign licence but are under the age of 19 years, you may be issued a provisional licence.

Thanks for the replies guys! looks like its not a retest which is good news, the bike test here is pretty intense (for a good reason I know) so glad I dont have to do it again! :cute: