Leaving for Brisbane tomorrow!!

paisleylass

In the process of packing right now and all is on schedule. We are now completely unfurnished, 2 sets of keys gone to letting agency (there's a viewing on Monday!) and a third to go through the letterbox when we leave for the airport. Countdown is now 12 hours til taxi time! OMG.

Just bought some extra cash currency for USA stopover and Aus to tide us over til our bank appointment. Hope we'll remember to stop at the Travelex counter at Glasgow Airport!

Really looking forward to my first beer of "tonight", which will in reality be at Heathrow Airport tomorrow morning after a sleepless night!

Guest Karenphil67

Good Luck......I know exactly how you feel. I left work yesterday, leaving party was last saturday (i dont think i have ever cried so much) We Fly out from Heathrow next Wednesday and arrive on Thursday 3rd!

Cheers folks! Taxi's coming in 6 hours, hubby said to make sure it's a Hackney to take all our bags!

I was off crying again earlier when we said goodbye to MIL - it was heartbreaking seeing her waving us off outside her house. She's not even my mum heheh!

Aww we miss this year's Paisley Christmas lights. I love the crazy old ones and the string lights across the river. Mind you we only miss the switch on by a week. Bet it'll be October next year!

I have goosebumps for you! I'm still feeling sick every time I think of all the goodbyes we'll have to make.

We're going to see the Paisley lights/firework display next sat so don't worry about missing them - I can always send you a pic!

Good luck - keep us up to date and have fun.

Ah, cheers folks! Now arrived at hotel in Hollywood and chilling a little, I slept well on flight to LAX but hubby didn't, so am gonna grab a shower then go shopping, weather's fab and will help acclimatise to the warmer Brisso!

Sioban, enjoy the Christmas lights, a piccy would be great but no worries if you don't get a chance! Went for a final visit to The Last Post, our usual haunt, on Wed. None of the usual staff were on which was sad, wanted to say goodbye. Had my final haircut at Duffy, will miss going there too!

Michele, will give you a shout if we get stuck on anything! Plan for first full day (Sat) is to do the touristy bus tour to get a bit of an intro! Monday we'll meet with NAB and get bank sorted, and hopefully also get TFN, medicare and drivers licence done - can we do all that in the CBD? Am hoping we can co-ordinate to do all these quickly!

Time to shower off the plane/luggage handling sweat! Never carried so much luggage before, really maxed out the allowance thanks to the handy luggage scale we have. Funniest thing was trying to spend all the sterling cash, as you might get rid of Euros etc at the end of a holiday! I still have 7 useless pound coins bah!

Went out for a couple of drinks on Sunset Blvd last night in spite of being done in, then slept about 6 hours so in no way caught up yet!

Then hubby told me about the Qantas strike. Looks like we may be here some time if nothing is resolved. I can think of worse places to be stuck, but would rather liike to get to Brisbane as planned!

Sorry to hear you are stuck in LA, hope Qantas gets their act together soon.

You can get everything sorted in the city for TFN, Medicare and Driver's License and they are actually in reasonably close proximity to each other:

Tax File Number - ATO

Level 1, 140 Elizabeth Street

Brisbane

(If you find the Dymocks book store you are in the right area)

Driver's Licence:

229 Elizabeth Street,

Brisbane

Medicare:

Shop 225, Level 2,

Myer Centre

Queen Street Mall

Have fun!

You can get everything sorted in the city for TFN, Medicare and Driver's License and they are actually in reasonably close proximity to each other:

Tax File Number - ATO

Brisbane

Driver's Licence:

229 Elizabeth Street,

Brisbane

Medicare:

Shop 225, Level 2,

Myer Centre

Queen Street Mall

Have fun!

Wow, invaluable info and looks great for convenience! Thanks so much :oD

Not stuck as such yet, but Qantas is already offering refunds up to the day we're meant to fly (Wednesday) so not holding out much hope. Having read the main Qantas thread, I think our best option is to chill until Tuesday, keeping an eye on things, and head to LAX to deal with Qantas in person if it's still not looking good. There are better things to do in LA than spend the day on a hotel room phone.

And there are far worse places to be stuck, with the airline covering expenses - but would rather stick to the plan and get settled in Brisso!

Guest Karenphil67

Tax File Number - ATO

Brisbane

Driver's Licence:

229 Elizabeth Street,

Brisbane

Medicare:

Shop 225, Level 2,

Myer Centre

Queen Street Mall

Have fun!

Great info...thanks! we arrive in Brisbane on Thursday so will definately come in handy. I may be picking your brains for more info if thats ok

Karen

Great info...thanks! we arrive in Brisbane on Thursday so will definately come in handy. I may be picking your brains for more info if thats ok

Karen

Feel free to pick my brains - moving house at the moment so not too sure how good the brain is working but I will help out where I can. :spinny:

.... Aww we miss this year's Paisley Christmas lights. I love the crazy old ones and the string lights across the river. Mind you we only miss the switch on by a week. Bet it'll be October next year!

Have a great adventure .... and about the lights .... you must go trawling round the houses here - the local papers will tell you which streets have the best displays. I have to say we were blown away by them all last year .... tacky heaven .... but a sight to behold I can tell you :wacko::laugh:

Thanks again for good wishes :wubclub:

We had some encouraging news re. our house which went up for rent last Thursday. People viewed it today and I had an email asking if it's OK to have pets in the house as some people are very interested. Well, it's fine with us so hopefully we'll have tenants soon.

Even better hearing of Qantas returning to the skies, so we should be on schedule to arrive in Brisbane Friday morning. I looked at the seatmap online and got a shock - not many seats left! So made an executive decision to pay to reserve 2 adjacent aisle seats so we're not stuck in middles nowhere near eachother (and I don't think I could stay up late enough tomorrow to check in online!). Oddly I got a message saying the request failed and no payment was taken, but the seats still show against the reservation so all being well we'll still get them?

Disneyland was fab yesterday, loved it! Amazing weather and we managed to do loads of the rides. Santa Monica looks good for today - we went in Feb but it was cold and drizzly, so will make the most of the summer-like weather and head for the coast. Definitely helping to get used to warmer weather, I think Paisley to Brisbane direct would have been too much of a shock to the system!

Just so weird to be on a holiday knowing we're not going back to our little house - which always felt depressing! On the other hand the prospect of finding a house in Brisbane is not something I look forward to with all the hoops to jump through. That said, it's nice to think I can start arranging viewings very soon instead of just window shopping!