Student visa chances of refusal?

Guest shelley32

Guest shelley32

Hi all,

well everything is in place for me and my three children to make the big step of coming over to Australia in March next year (2012). Because of logistics and trying to enable my kids are as safe and as settled as possible I am arranging for all of our furniture etc to be sent before we leave the UK, in fact the furniture is leaving before I am even allowed to apply for our visas. The visa will be a student visa so there are certain restrictions on when to apply etc.

I have been accepted onto my chosen course, my children have been accepted and enrolled in school and childcare and I am able to declare that I can financially support us for the duration of our stay (apparently due to me being a British passport holder, I only need to declare it, I dont actually need to submit evidence of funds)

Can anybody think of any reasons why I may be refused my visa to study? I am panicking a lot as all of our things will be in a boat by the time I can apply! But I have no other option but to do it this way.

So any reasons, any reasons at all that you can think of that may come up, please, please let me know so that I can be aware of them. Also, as a British Citizen will I need health checks, police checks etc for the children and myself?

Thanks very much in advance for any responses.

Shelley x

Hi all,

well everything is in place for me and my three children to make the big step of coming over to Australia in March next year (2012). Because of logistics and trying to enable my kids are as safe and as settled as possible I am arranging for all of our furniture etc to be sent before we leave the UK, in fact the furniture is leaving before I am even allowed to apply for our visas. The visa will be a student visa so there are certain restrictions on when to apply etc.

I have been accepted onto my chosen course, my children have been accepted and enrolled in school and childcare and I am able to declare that I can financially support us for the duration of our stay (apparently due to me being a British passport holder, I only need to declare it, I dont actually need to submit evidence of funds)

Can anybody think of any reasons why I may be refused my visa to study? I am panicking a lot as all of our things will be in a boat by the time I can apply! But I have no other option but to do it this way.

So any reasons, any reasons at all that you can think of that may come up, please, please let me know so that I can be aware of them. Also, as a British Citizen will I need health checks, police checks etc for the children and myself?

Shelley x

As long as you can afford to pay the tuition fees for yourself and your kids without having to work more than the regulated 20 hours you should be fine.

You do realize, though, that this isnt a migration visa, it is purely temporary and there is an even chance you will have to ship all your belongings back once your visa has expired and your course is completed. It seems that the once natural progression from student to long term resident is a door which is slowly but surely closing. If you can afford the experience then go for it. Hope you enjoy the course!

Guest shelley32
As long as you can afford to pay the tuition fees for yourself and your kids without having to work more than the regulated 20 hours you should be fine.

You do realize, though, that this isnt a migration visa, it is purely temporary and there is an even chance you will have to ship all your belongings back once your visa has expired and your course is completed. It seems that the once natural progression from student to long term resident is a door which is slowly but surely closing. If you can afford the experience then go for it. Hope you enjoy the course!

Yes its ok, I know, its a huge risk but no one ever got anywhere without taking a risk! and if it doesnt end in a permanent visa at least we'll have between 3 and 7 years of experiences! Thats what I say lol.................... Can you tell me any more about medical checks etc for a student visa for british citizens?

Thanks a lot for replying

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

I'm here on a student visa (since 2009), so things may have changed, however, we were not required to do a medical.

Neither OH or myself are in the nursing profession or work with children so medicals were not needed.

The only other thing I can think of for visa refusal would be a criminal conviction.

Any other questions/queries please ask!

Where are you heading to?

PP

xx

PS All of our belongings were shipped before the visa was applied for!

Guest shelley32
Hi Shelley,

I'm here on a student visa (since 2009), so things may have changed, however, we were not required to do a medical.

Neither OH or myself are in the nursing profession or work with children so medicals were not needed.

The only other thing I can think of for visa refusal would be a criminal conviction.

Any other questions/queries please ask!

Where are you heading to?

PP

xx

PS All of our belongings were shipped before the visa was applied for!

Ahhhh great :) someone else did what everyone else is telling me im crazy to do lol!!

I dont have any criminal convictions and nor do my children so thats a bonus :wink:

were heading to Brisbane, arriving end of Feb beginning of March hopefully. I cant apply for the visas until the end of January so Im hoping it quite a quick process. Ive been told 14 days, how long did it take for you?

Thanks a lot x

Ahhhh great :) someone else did what everyone else is telling me im crazy to do lol!!

I dont have any criminal convictions and nor do my children so thats a bonus :wink:

were heading to Brisbane, arriving end of Feb beginning of March hopefully. I cant apply for the visas until the end of January so Im hoping it quite a quick process. Ive been told 14 days, how long did it take for you?

Thanks a lot x

It took a while, but we had an a**e of a case officer, so I phoned his boss, and she just pressed the button and granted it there and then! Straight off to the travel agent to book the flights and flew 5 days later!

Where and what are you studying? I think I applied for mine in November, my course started in the March and at the time, the earliest we could apply was 90 days, so I applied on the day!

Everyone said we were mad, but I don't regret it, we love it here and I love Uni! although I can see it being quite expensive for you, we only have one child so only one lot of school fees to pay.

PP

XX

Guest Peanutbutter

i dont understand why you would want to do this unless you are a millionaire. Wouldn't it be better to study and finish a degree in uk then apply... A U-turn is never too late i say...

Guest shelley32
i dont understand why you would want to do this unless you are a millionaire. Wouldn't it be better to study and finish a degree in uk then apply... A U-turn is never too late i say...

Why? well im not a millionaire so maybe im crazy! Maybe in 7 years it will come to no permanent visa, maybe ill have run out of money, maybe maybe maybe......... but maybe ill be fully qualified to earn more money, maybe it will have opened my eyes and my kids eyes to new life and new experiences, maybe I will have had 7 years respite from my SAD (seasonal affective disorder) of which isnt an excuse or a cliche, if you suffer from it, its horrendous! Maybe I will be granted a permanent visa, maybe ill get married! Who knows, nobody knows anything in this life, there are no cast iron guarantees about anything, who's to say id be granted a visa if i did a degree in the uk and then applied? whos to say id even find a job in the UK after i graduated? in 7 years ill be 40 years old with time running out and seven miserable years in the UK that I loathe and not being close to my brother, niece and nephew who Im moving to be closer to....... It would be very easy to sit in my little comfort zone, safe and secure in my mundane little life taking no risks, achieving pretty much nothing of any relevance to me and certainly not finding out 'if' my life could be better and more fulfilled........................

"

Of all the people I have ever known, those who have pursued their dreams and failed have lived a much more fulfilling life than those who have put their dreams on a shelf for fear of failure. ~Author Unknown"

Lol rant over! its ok, listen ive said to myself exactly the same words you have spoken, ive laid in bed at night telling myself how ridiculous i am.....but if i dont try, i will never know will i?

Guest jilkfree1978

You say because you are british you dont have to show funds only declare you have enough money, where does it say this???? I am sure you will have to show funds it is not that easy.

Hi all,

Shelley x

Guest guest30085
Why? well im not a millionaire so maybe im crazy! Maybe in 7 years it will come to no permanent visa, maybe ill have run out of money, maybe maybe maybe......... but maybe ill be fully qualified to earn more money, maybe it will have opened my eyes and my kids eyes to new life and new experiences, maybe I will have had 7 years respite from my SAD (seasonal affective disorder) of which isnt an excuse or a cliche, if you suffer from it, its horrendous! Maybe I will be granted a permanent visa, maybe ill get married! Who knows, nobody knows anything in this life, there are no cast iron guarantees about anything, who's to say id be granted a visa if i did a degree in the uk and then applied? whos to say id even find a job in the UK after i graduated? in 7 years ill be 40 years old with time running out and seven miserable years in the UK that I loathe and not being close to my brother, niece and nephew who Im moving to be closer to....... It would be very easy to sit in my little comfort zone, safe and secure in my mundane little life taking no risks, achieving pretty much nothing of any relevance to me and certainly not finding out 'if' my life could be better and more fulfilled........................

"

Of all the people I have ever known, those who have pursued their dreams and failed have lived a much more fulfilling life than those who have put their dreams on a shelf for fear of failure. ~Author Unknown"

Lol rant over! its ok, listen ive said to myself exactly the same words you have spoken, ive laid in bed at night telling myself how ridiculous i am.....but if i dont try, i will never know will i?

Good for you :hug:

It isnt an easy route to take, I looked into it myself, but for various reasons it wouldnt work for me. So I have completed my studies here in the UK. I admire your decision and I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on x

Guest Aussie4ever

By the way, relating to a course in Australia, the advanced diploma which is expended to last 2 years, does it count as a 5 points for a PR visa?

I guess the reason for a person to go as student is to first know better the country and definitely decide or not to migrate, but as the new rules apply, I won't recommend no one, who has no work experience from his/her home country, before trying to migrate, or having a occupation which is not on the SOL list.

Having the change of speaking English 24/7 and having a course in Australia, is a good path to find a job, and being accepted, I speak for myself I rather employ someone who has a course in Australia than another professional who has nothing.

Guest shelley32
You say because you are british you dont have to show funds only declare you have enough money, where does it say this???? I am sure you will have to show funds it is not that easy.

I thought this as well! I still do to a certain extent, keep thinking that someone must have got it wrong lol! but my migration agent said I just need to sign a declaration and also Australia house advised the same - I need to sign a declaration stating that I can financially support myself and my children for the duration of our stay - thats it! im still a little sceptical but thats what Ive been told :)

Guest shelley32
Good for you :hug:

It isnt an easy route to take, I looked into it myself, but for various reasons it wouldnt work for me. So I have completed my studies here in the UK. I admire your decision and I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on x

Thank you so much! its good to get a positive response rather than fear fear fear and negativity all the time :) I understand the fear but positive thinking is a better stance to take.........Either that or im deluded lol thanks :)

Hi all,

Shelley x

Hi Shelley

Not being negative or bursting your bubble just trying to advice.

I was on a student visa but had to give up due to high costs and I had to provide evidence of my finances when applying not just declare it so I would check up on this.

Good Luck with it...

Emma