2nd stage spouse visa timeframe

Guest Cimbom

Hello,

My husband applied for a spouse visa in June 2010 and it was granted a few months later. I was just wondering when he will get the info for the 2nd stage processing? I have heard that it is a few months before the 2 year date (since application) so I'm guessing around March-April next year.

Would it be possible for him to send in the info say a month or two early? He is really keen to get back to uni to complete his science and medical studies and we can't afford international student fees so I would hate for him to miss out by a month or so. It's a bit frustrating as well since we were 6 months off the 3 year defacto period (for straight PR) when his temp spouse visa was granted.

DIAC should send the request for information a couple of months before the 2nd anniversary but they didn't in my case and I had to phone up every day for 2 weeks to get them to send the paperwork.

I doubt that they will allow you to start the process early. They work to their own timescales and will take as long as they need. It took me 3 months to get the PR.

Guest GeorgeD

There may be a bit of random flexibility in that tiemscale, but not much, maybe a week or two.

The other thing to remember is that it can take a while to get the second stage processed. Boganbear's was done in 3 months, but I've seen others on this forum who have taken 9-10 months. Again, seemingly random timescales for different applicants. Luck probably plays a bigger part in the timescale than personal circumstances.

Guest Guest31881

I do not think they will allow you to apply early, The idea is that you have remained together for the 2 year period, and knowing how the DIAC operate they will not settle for 20 or 22 months, they will wait till the 24 months has passed before making decision.

Thanks for your replies. How much info do they request? If it's pretty straightfoward, I would prepare it in advance so I can send it in immediately.

I would include:

- Marriage certificate (we got married in January this year)

- Travel documents from our honeymoon

- Joint lease, bank account, health insurance, bills, etc

- Legal documents for property we purchased a few months back (currently being built)

- Written statement from each of us

Would this be sufficient?

Hi Cimbon

The info required may vary for each person but the info the asked me for were the following:

Statutory decs from applicant and sponsor

Original National Police Check (we don't have children so I only have to do for myself)

Original penal certificate for any country visited for cumulative period of 12 months or more since 820 grant date.

Acknowledgement card (if you want to know they received application)

Certificate copy of personal details pages of most recent passport

Certified copy of personal details of sponsors most recent passport (or drivers licence)

Form 80

Overseas travel details since 820 grant date.

I received my letter from immigration requesting the above info about 2 and a half months before the 2 year date. It seems almost definite that immigration will not consider your application for PR until the 2 year mark and then it can be 6 - 9 months after that - although the card I received to acknowledge immigration received my application stated it will take up to 3 months from the 2 year mark. I would also like to so some part time study so I understand your partners predicament.

Hope this helps

Smiler :biggrin:

(Melbourne)

I can't remember all the details of what happened for my stage 2 but get your documentation ready and collected together so you can send it off quickly so all of the stuff you mentioned will help, although as you got married I don't think they will ask for everything. You will need an AFP police check but that is easy to get. We were not asked to show rent agreements, bills etc and our referees were not even contacted.

What was a pain in the neck was having to provide again information on the form 40SP (I think) - details of all of the places you have been abroad in the last 10 years and of all the jobs you have had since school. If you have a copy of your original application docs and an up to date CV this should be easy to copy out again. Our written statements were less than 1 typed A4 page each and much less than what we wrote for stage 1.

Woo! Speak of the angel and they are sure of appear! - After just sending my last post I got my approval for PR in the post!!! So my application took 5 days after the 2 year mark!

Hope your one is as speedy Cimbon

Smiler :biggrin:

Congrats Smiler!!

Another question - do we need to contact DIAC and inform that we're now married? I did send in the form specifying change of address earlier this year but not sure if I need to tell them about this.

Another question - do we need to contact DIAC and inform that we're now married? I did send in the form specifying change of address earlier this year but not sure if I need to tell them about this.

Yes you do. I advised them by email and attached a scanned copy of our marriage certificate (the official one from births, deaths and marriages) for their records.