Online postgraduate courses providers in Australia. Any opinion ?

Cedric

Hi everybody. I haven't been online for a while. Hope you people are all doing alright :biggrin:

As the thread's title suggests, I will start a postgraduate degree online from january on in order to diversify my skills and job opportunities when in Australia.

Being interested in environmental management, I have considered so far the following providers: Maquarie, UNE, university of Newcastle and Edit Cowan, all proposing online postgraduates courses in environmental or wildlife management.

I have so far search trough this site http://www.gooduniguide.com.au/ and e-mailed all the providers to get more informations, but since the required investment is huge I would be interested to learn about other people experiences or advices, comments on e.g reputation, things I should be aware of, etc..

Thanks in advance :notworthy:,

Cedric

Guest littlesarah

Are you talking about MSc (or similar) by coursework? How well such a course would be considered would depend on your field and practical experience. I know that in health care (which is my area), a higher qualification would only be considered of value for employment if it related one's area of practice. But I cannot really comment on any other area of work than my own. Hopefully someone with a better understanding than I will be along to provide their wisdom.

In terms of how the course works, you need to be aware that distance education obviously requires a lot of input from you, and that contacting a tutor can be even more difficult when you're in a vastly different time zone! I speak as a Uni academic (not that I deliver any distance programmes, but it's hard enough with students in the same State!).

Some universities have a 'better' reputation than others - a lot of that is down to how they select students and maintain their 'elite' status. On a practical level, that doesn't mean much - not all universities offer all programs, so it often comes down to choosing between the ones that offer the course of study you're interested in. Once you get some info from the Universities, you should be able to find out the specifics of the program you're considering. Bear in mind that unis put a Program Handbook on their website, which should contain info about the program content. Obviously, the general guff about how great the area is and how much there is for students to do won't be of so much interest/importance, if you're not in the locality!

Sorry I can't be more help.

Sarah

Can't comment on the reputation of any of them, but from experience with distance post grads the easiest way of doing them is when they give you a week long bootcamp then you go away and finish the coursework. It's a hell of a lot easier and more motivational than pootling along at your own pace.

The traditional off campus, distance and/or online provders are USQ, CQU, UNE, CSU and to a lesser extent Monash. In recent years Open Universities Australia has created a consortium, with one of them, Swinburne expanding independently too.

I would suggest that if study is not central to your existing occupation (?) to start with one or two units that are common to several institutions' courses to keep your options open.

You may not know what pros/cons, personal preferences etc. are till you start studying and have time to reflect.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for sharing your opinion Daniel. As regards my specific case, I am envisioning a postrgrad as a way to retrain/specialize myself in another field as I am anxiously stepping upon a growing body of evidence pointing out that there is no shortage of secondary school teacher in South Australia at the moment (http://foi.deewr.gov.au/system/files/doc/other/anzsco_241411_secondary_school_teacher_sa.pdf) and that current immigration-friendly policies are based on mere speculations about future retirements of the current workforce. Since I already hold a BSC in biology and a MA in development studies with a major in global ecology and have a long-lived crush on the australian wildlife, I thought that I could try to gain some qualification of some sort in the field of environmental management which, along with volunteering work, could open the door to new opportunities.

@Ratchet: Charles Sturt is indeed one the leading provider, and seems to have good records for both student satisfaction and employment outcomes (http://www.hobsonscoursefinder.com.au/ratings/institutionFOS/CSU/PG/8#.UdVWtlM72Cg). On the minus side, though they have on-campus mandatory units, which could be a problem considering that due to a constraint of my visa, I'll have to be based in South Australia.

So lately, I have been considering this: http://www.gradschool.com.au/master-environmental-business-management/overview, which apparently in fully delivered online. But given the investment required, I would like to be sure that it is worth it. So any comment or suggestion, especially on that particular institution from those who may have attended it would be very welcome !!!

Wish you all a great sunny Day ! :wink:

Cedric

Thank you Starlight for sharing your kid's experience. Yes, there is a wide range of modalities regarding the way courses are offered: some are fully online, whereas others have lots of on-campus components. But my question is rather directed on the "social" value and perceptions about this kind of education. I.e: how those kind of courses would be generally perceived compared to "regular" diplomas (for instance, by potential employers) ? I know that in my own country, diplomas gained online would be regarded with caution, primarily because this kind of education is currently underdevelopped. But I wonder what it would be for a country like Australia which has historically be more innovative with its educational sector for obvious reasons.

Cheers,

Cedric

Thank you Starlight for sharing your kid's experience. Yes, there is a wide range of modalities regarding the way courses are offered: some are fully online, whereas others have lots of on-campus components. But my question is rather directed on the "social" value and perceptions about this kind of education. I.e: how those kind of courses would be generally perceived compared to "regular" diplomas (for instance, by potential employers) ? I know that in my own country, diplomas gained online would be regarded with caution, primarily because this kind of education is currently underdevelopped. But I wonder what it would be for a country like Australia which has historically be more innovative with its educational sector for obvious reasons.

Cheers,

Cedric

In Australia it is not noted on the diplomas and degrees whether the course has been completed via external education or not.

Australia is a vast country and as such external study is widely used, well regarded and has been for a number of years.

More emphasis is placed upon whether the university has a good reputation or not.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing at Masters in Inclusive Education by Distance Education at Charles Sturt University (Bathurst). It is excellent and the support is excellent too. I do not have to complete any residential courses but the coursework is quite full on - luckily we have moved to Bathurst so the Uni is just up the road for getting books! Most of the students on our course forum live a considerable distance from the uni. Not sure what visa you are on, but there are differences in prices if you are not on PR. I am, but had to pay all fees up front and am not eligible for HECS help (like student loans in the UK).

good luck!