Cost of living in Penrith/Blue Mountains

Guest jamisonanne46

Guest jamisonanne46

Hi,

Am currently considering a job offer based in Penrith (on a 427 visa) but have no sense of how far my salary will go in this area. I'm in the UK at the moment and the move would mean bringing over two young children (1 and 3) and my husband. Initially, we would be looking to rent and would probably be living off my salary alone for the first 3-6 months. My salary would be in the region of $114000. Have been looking at lots of information about the area and house rentals etc., but it's hard to gauge what price rental bracket we should be aiming for without having a real feel for how far my money will go. We will potentially have some savings to bring with us, but we want to keep that fairly intact in the hope of buying our own place in a year or two if we decide to stay.

Leonay, Emu Heights, Glenbrook, all look like nice family friendly areas, but what are the costs of living in those areas? I'm also interested to know what the primary schools/preschools are like there. I should be able to get discounted child care places at my work for the children, so am less concerned about that. My husband will also probably only look for part-time work at the start, to be at home with the children and ease the transition, so initial child care costs will hopefully be minimal. My husband's currently in IT, but only new to it and still doing some studying/training, it's a bit of a career change for him at the moment. What is the job market like for IT in that area? Is it an easy-ish commute to inner Sydney if that's where most of the jobs are?

Would be grateful for any advice. Feeling very daunted at the enormity of the decisions we have to make!

Anne

Hi Anne we are currently living in st Clair with a 3 1/2 year old (a little east of penrith) and found it very family friendly out this way, a car is a must here but if your debt free 114 k would have you living. What sort of property and lifestyle are coming from? or more looking for might be a better question, how many beds, size, pool etc ? Might be able to give some more idea of cost as it sounds like we would have similar budgets.

By the way IT is always a demand, plenty of IT gurus and jobs to match around.

For commute I travel to homebush for my office, which should take about 25 mins, on average I double it each way in the week, i find the weekend is much quicker for heading to the city etc.

Guest jamisonanne46

Hi,

Thanks so much for posting. Good to know that we're not too way off track in hoping that we'll manage in the short-term on just my salary. If we go ahead with this, my job will be with the University of Western Sydney, working mostly at the Penrith campus. My husband will eventually try and get an IT job, but will probably go part-time to start if possible. It's more likely that he will commute than me, and we would be looking to live close(ish) to my work. At the moment my workplace is an hour and a quarter drive away and I'm really looking to get away from that.

At the moment, we live in a 3-storey, 5 bedroom house, but would be willing to downsize while renting for the first year or so and while my husband's not working, or only working part-time. I think as a base minimum, we would probably be looking to try and get a 3 or 4 bedroom place with a bit of outdoor space for the children. We'd be looking to live in the suburbs, somewhere safe and quiet, but not too isolated. A pool would be lovely, but realistically it might be something we would aspire to when looking to buy, rather than when renting in the short term. Though if it was available and within budget, I'm sure we'd go for it! I've heard that finding a rental can be fiercely competitive out there?

I've been looking at rentals in the lower blue mountain areas, and rental prices can vary quite a bit from area to area. I just don't know what price bracket would be available to us on my salary and with a family of 4 to keep. We have some savings and our debts here are quite minimal, so should be able to clear a lot of it before we would have to move out to Oz. Useful to know that we'll have to budget for a car, but we have a car we can sell over here, so that might partially cover it. We're quite good at living on a shoe string when we have to, as my husband's been studying IT for a while now and only working minimum part-time hours, and we just about make do.

Just looking for a break really and some real job opportunities for my husband - recession has hit hard here and there's not much about, even in IT. And I'm increasingly disillusioned with higher education, the government's cuts to teaching budgets and increases to student fees is making a shambles of most university's budgets and I'm keen to get out.

How do you find living out in Australia? Have you been there long? Any advice on rental prices etc. would be great.

Anne

Hi again Anne,

I can understand why you would want to get away, we thought we would be back in blighty by now but to be honest things dont appear to be getting any better. We have been out here some time now, coming up to 10 years. The three year plan kept being extended, as every time we went home it just felt better back here in Oz, just wish we could move all the family and friends here.

Cant say I know all the western suburbs all that well as we spent most of our time close too the City for friends and entertainment, but with the little one coming along we bought a place out west to survive on one salary, which is a little more than yours but not by far. Saying that I know Emu hts and Leonay are great areas we looked at these when moving out, we went with st clair only as it would save me a little motorway time each day, also more than happy with the area. We run two cars, a 4 bed house with pool, and we head back to the UK every 18 months. So far from a gloomy life style, with two kids you will probably want a little extra room specially if like us you get bombarded by visitors from the UK.

Having a quick look around rent I guess would be between 550 - 650, it can vary dramatically, neibouring suburbs can be like chalk and cheese, so investigate wisely.

Somethings we think we notice costing more is; weekly food shop, running of cars, (petrol is cheaper but insurance is more), white goods, our electricity is crazy ($1000 per qtr avrg) keep in mind thats with a pool and everything electric, but I think we have a minimum 3 Tvs on all day, (dont ask I dont know why).

There are some more western suburbs poms around which I'm sure will jump in and fill some more gaps, not met them yet but hope too soon, generally a friendly bunch here.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anne

We live in Leonay at the moment and love it. The local Primary School is lovely and my daughter will be starting next year. We live in a 4 bed house with huge living areas, a massive outdoor entertaining area and a reasonable garden. 10 min walk to the river and we overlook the golf course! We pay $500 a week to give you an idea. Houses here tend to be a little more pricey to rent, than Penrith.

We started renting in Blaxland which is just up the mountain a bit, but it was just too far for us. Glenrook is nice, but pricey and can be noisy due to the highway! Emu Plains also nice but we prefer the houses in Leonay and I prefer the school here! Only my opinion! Also Leonay is less fierce for rentals as most people want to live in Glenmore Park or Penrith. We got our rental very easily and there are usually a few in Leonay as opposed to queuing with 60 others for houses in Penrith and Glenmore Park!!

Leonay is also close to M4 which is great for getting into the city. If your husband needs to commute you would be better off here than Glenbrook as trains from Penrith go direct to city, mountain trainlines are slow and he would need to change at Penrith.

To give you an idea of costs we pay $1000 a qtr for electric, $150 for water, $200 food (2 kids as well) we have a loan for our car but we only need one as hubbie gets a company one!

If I can help with anything else feel free to ask.

• 1 year later...

Hi Loretta

Rebrol (Becky) lives in Emu Plains now just down the road from Leonay I live in Jordan Springs not that far away, I met Becky on pio 3 years ago and we have been friends since. We could arrange a meet up when you get here my mum and sister are also moving here in June i can't wait. You will be fine here on that wage me and my husband don't earn as much as that and we have 3 children (17,7 & 5)

Ah feeling re-vitalised by pio, just picked up again after an email from an old thread.

​We are west sydney in St Clair with a 5 year old and love the area, but after reading a few pom lines missing the old friends again so if anyone's up for a meet up when we have some more newbies count us in.

Joanne

We have just found out my girl has a place in the first grade at Leonay and will start in term 3. Very happy.

Now just got to get my 3 year old a pre-school place and a house.

Any advice and tips on pre-school and nursery would be amazing. I have booked into see Lapstone preschool but there are no spaces in July and a wait list for January.

I might also have a job so will need childcare or a live in nanny, as well as preschool.

Its becoming very real now.

Loretta

Hi Loretta

Rebrol (Becky) lives in Emu Plains now just down the road from Leonay I live in Jordan Springs not that far away, I met Becky on pio 3 years ago and we have been friends since. We could arrange a meet up when you get here my mum and sister are also moving here in June i can't wait. You will be fine here on that wage me and my husband don't earn as much as that and we have 3 children (17,7 & 5)

Hi there,

This thread is proving to be invaluable to us as we are flying out on 1st July (me, hubby and our 2 kids aged 5 and 2) and are hoping to move to the Penrith area. We are hoping to rent a house in Jordan Springs.

Joanne P, how do you find Jordan Springs? Would you recommend it? What primary school do your youngest children go to? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm just trying to do as much research as I can before we make the move.

Thanks in advance,

Kirsty :biggrin:

Hi there,

This thread is proving to be invaluable to us as we are flying out on 1st July (me, hubby and our 2 kids aged 5 and 2) and are hoping to move to the Penrith area. We are hoping to rent a house in Jordan Springs.

Joanne P, how do you find Jordan Springs? Would you recommend it? What primary school do your youngest children go to? Sorry for all of the questions but I'm just trying to do as much research as I can before we make the move.

Thanks in advance,

Kirsty :biggrin:

Kirsty

Where you coming from? I fly out with 6 n 3 yr old May 29th, hubby coming later.

NSW School starts back term 3 July 15th if your 5 year is already in school. If you want to exchange notes please do email me.

And lets all hook up for a BBQ (winter one).

L

Kirsty

Where you coming from? I fly out with 6 n 3 yr old May 29th, hubby coming later.

NSW School starts back term 3 July 15th if your 5 year is already in school. If you want to exchange notes please do email me.

And lets all hook up for a BBQ (winter one).

L

Thanks Loretta, that's really kind of you. We are from East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire and my hubby is actually out in Sydney just now, however, 1st July is the official date for me and the kids to fly out and start our new life. :chatterbox:

Good luck for May 29th; you must be so excited!! And yes, a winter BBQ sounds like a plan :cool:

• 1 year later...

Just a quike note to all who posted please feel free to join our new group Penrith Poms we cover from the Blue Mountains to Blacktown.

I have raised 4 Sons in Jamisontown ,and St Clair.

Loved St Clair save $80 on petrol.Kids enjoyed the schools and sports.Lived there 9 yrs....

Lovely village feel and 45mins road travel to the city in the morning.Husband dose it every week day no stress unlike back home.

Always rent what you know you can afford to buy later saves having to downsize.

Investment areas: Werrington is now a hot spot as its on the train line and you can still buy a townhouse for $300,000.Houses are mid $400.000 St Mary's is too near Mt Druitt.

I live in Sydney (Surry Hills) and commute to Penrith to work, thus travelling the opposite way to most people. The train journey is excellent, at least on the Blue Mts trains which have only three stops - Strathfield, Parramatta, Blacktown between Central and Penrith and it takes about 50 minutes.

I like Penrith, with its small town, rather than a suburb 'vibe', and if I was just starting out on my career, I could move there, and living in the city I've got used to being able to walk everywhere. You can do that if you live in Penrith itself, which is why I like it, but in other suburbs, you need a car, and getting buses, or slower trains, means longer commutes, if you are working in Sydney.

Even for me, my 50 minute train journey goes up to nearly 90 minutes by the time I add on walk times to and from both stations and waiting around for trains.