Dogs in quarantine

JoandJon

Hi there!

Well the Satchdog is currently ensconced in Spotswood Quarantine, and appears to be managing to wind the staff around her very pretty paws :)

She arrived last Wednesday (19th October) and is due to be released on Friday 18th November. That's 22 whole more days until I can collect the darling girl :)

She wasn't settling in the first kennel - with the big dogs, so they moved her to the mediium sized runs and she settled right down. Funny enough the new kennel is much closer to the office and right on the path everyone walks down, so now she's much closer to the action. I think that's probably what's made her happier - it's not that she prefers the company of smaller dogs - she just likes seeing what's going on!

Now she's also got her toy puppy to carry around I hope she settles down a lot more - fingers crossed in any case!

23 more sleeps until the Satchdog is back where she belongs!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest James Parsons

Glad to hear she's getting on well I'm so worried about my little doggy Bella leaving us for Oz it's nice when Ihear good reports from quarentine.

Hayley

Joandjon I feel your pain, we are on the same timeline. I have not contacted quarantine since he first arrived as we are now in thailand. We are going to see him on th 8th the day we arrive. Again we have the 18th marked on our calendar too. I bet our birthdays ain't too far apart ha ha

Glad to hear she's getting on well I'm so worried about my little doggy Bella leaving us for Oz it's nice when Ihear good reports from quarentine.

Hayley

The staff really are brilliant in quarantine - I swear most of Satch's foibles are probably just so she gets more love and attention, all of the staff who walked past knew all about her :) (cheeky moo that she is!) I told them that if they were really worried about her not eating to try her with a bit of PB on toast - and only stress if she refuses that :)

I'm sure Bella will be fine - where abouts is she heading for?

I can thoroughly reccomend sending your dog ahead of time, my only regret is that we didn't send Satch 2 weeks in advance instead of 1 week ahead. That way she'd have avoided more of the cleaning the house stuff stress :)

Cheers

Joandjon I feel your pain, we are on the same timeline. I have not contacted quarantine since he first arrived as we are now in thailand. We are going to see him on th 8th the day we arrive. Again we have the 18th marked on our calendar too. I bet our birthdays ain't too far apart ha ha

Lol, so true - if Monty was in Melbourne I could have said hello for you :)

I did see Montyclaude's big babies - well I assume they were hers, can't imagine there are too many Bernese mountain dogs sharing a run with a golden retreiver in Melbourne Quarantine :)

Must remember to take my camera on Friday so i can take some photos :)

Good morning. Glad things have turned out ok. The feeling I get from the quarantine kennels is they really do their best to make the dog comfortable. It's just the word 'quarantine' gives people an uneasy feel.

We have paid a local company to go in twice a week and give our Wilson a walk and some play time. They make sure he has what he needs and is eating ok. We can text/call them and they text/call us any time .They post pictures of our Wilson on their facebook page also from the day of visit.

It helps when you are worrying.

Good morning. Glad things have turned out ok. The feeling I get from the quarantine kennels is they really do their best to make the dog comfortable. It's just the word 'quarantine' gives people an uneasy feel.

We have paid a local company to go in twice a week and give our Wilson a walk and some play time. They make sure he has what he needs and is eating ok. We can text/call them and they text/call us any time .They post pictures of our Wilson on their facebook page also from the day of visit.

It helps when you are worrying.

Ah that's a lovely idea! wonder if they do that in Sydney?

It's great to know she's happy and has got them well trained already. I'm sure the time will pass fairly quickly as you must have so much to do. Is it very hot yet or is the temperature quite comfy?

'Temps are ok so far - there's been some torrential rain the last day, but it's still been warm. It's been brilliant weather each time I've been to visit Satch, had loads of time to visit and play with her in the sunshine!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=293076120710231&set=a.293075800710263.78135.264056060278904&type=1&theater

Not sure if that link will work - but it's some photos of Satch in one of the exercise yards :)

BTW - that's my Mum, not me with the grey hair - i just feel like that sometimes!!

The link worked fine (i'll have to learn how to do that). She looks really pleased with herself. It won't be long before she's leaping in the sea - will need a pic of that too please. I hope you are all enjoying yourselves now and not getting bogged down in sorting too much out at once.

I'm worried today in case Qantas muck up Chester and Hamish's travel plans. :unsure:

The link worked fine (i'll have to learn how to do that). She looks really pleased with herself. It won't be long before she's leaping in the sea - will need a pic of that too please. I hope you are all enjoying yourselves now and not getting bogged down in sorting too much out at once.

I'm worried today in case Qantas muck up Chester and Hamish's travel plans. :unsure:

I still feel a bit in limbo because hubby is still in the UK - but I can't in any way complain about the quarantine people, they all are so nice and know Satch immediately. Her photo (which we'd stuck on the top of her kennel) is already on the photo wall in the office!

When are Chester and Hamish due to fly? I could strangle the stupid CEO for being so stupid!

It's so lovely to hear a nice story about quarantine. I'm so nervous about bringing our woofer. The flight, long time away from him etc.

For sure it's nerve-wracking, but (and this probably won't help yet) once they're in quarantine it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be! The time is racing by - it's only 19 sleeps until Satch is a free girl!

:)

JoandJon

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions, I can't work out where you are up to in the move.

Will hubby be there before dog is released or will she beat him to the beach?

When you say you put a photo on her kennel, do you mean the crate she flew in? Did they keep it at quarantine?

Are you already there? As I read it you are. But then when you replied to this post now I thought maybe you are still in the uk (isn't it middle of night there)?

I still feel a bit in limbo because hubby is still in the UK - but I can't in any way complain about the quarantine people, they all are so nice and know Satch immediately. Her photo (which we'd stuck on the top of her kennel) is already on the photo wall in the office!

When are Chester and Hamish due to fly? I could strangle the stupid CEO for being so stupid!

Forgot to answer question in last post.

Pets due to fly 5th December. I know it's over a month for them to sort it, but when our airlines strike it seems to be on and off for a couple of months. Having tried to be so organised with the pets arrangements I would get really stressed if it was mucked up by a strike or an ash cloud. I suppose there's nothing I can do but wait and see.

I wonder what will happen to the ones delayed at the moment. What if your pets were due to swap planes at Singapore and the 2nd half of the journey was cancelled. I really hope no-one is stuck in that situation with pets mid-transit.

For sure it's nerve-wracking, but (and this probably won't help yet) once they're in quarantine it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be! The time is racing by - it's only 19 sleeps until Satch is a free girl!

:)

I agree, the hardest bit is them flying there, I was so worried. Monty is at eastern creek, we have not been able to go see him yet as we are travelling a bit on our way, but a quick phone call to the handler and we are happy. Even hearing him bark when we call makes us happy.

JoandJon

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions, I can't work out where you are up to in the move.

Will hubby be there before dog is released or will she beat him to the beach?

When you say you put a photo on her kennel, do you mean the crate she flew in? Did they keep it at quarantine?

Are you already there? As I read it you are. But then when you replied to this post now I thought maybe you are still in the uk (isn't it middle of night there)?

No problem at all - I get confused as to where we are in the process!

I'm in Oz - landed in Melbourne on Tuesday morning and currently staying with Mum & Dad in Mount Dandenong (yup, Puffing Billy territory!) where it is currently chucking it down with rain!

Hubby is still in the UK, he flies out 8th November, landing in the evening on 9th November (contrary to me telling Mum that he lands on the 10th....)

Satch isn't due to escape until the 18th, so Jon (aka Hubby) will be here first - and should be able to visit her in Quarantine as well!

We stuck a big colour picture of Satch on the top of her travel-kennel / crate whatever you want to call it! They keep the crate at quarantine until you collect the dog (or I think you can pick it up earlier if you like), and then you either take it with you or they destroy it!

BTW - although they said any bedding in the crate would be destroyed, a couple of her blankets (but not the grotty dressing gowns we also had in there) are on her bed in quarantine, so they must have survived the journey ok!

The T Shirts we put in our dogs crates turned up with them on Friday so not sure where the destroy part comes in although we had been told they would be.

Evidence of being well looked after at Eastern Creek is the fact that both of them are shall we say carrying a little holiday weight!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.171687,149.106193