Nurofen Zavance

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok, I take pain killers on a daily basis, I find the zavance are the fastest acting and provide most pain relief, however, what's all these where they say Nurofen for Back Pain, Nurofen for Period Pain, Nurofen Tension Headaches, Nurofen Migraines, surely they all act the same way:goofy: What are you suppose to do if you have back pain and a migraine, take a double dose??:nah:

I personally get plain IBUPROFEN 400mg. The cheapest I can get hold of. It's all the same stuff. No idea about zavance, maybe it works quicker but how much does it cost? Same with Paracetamol vs panadol/herron (black and gold please), and other over the counter meds which rely heavily on patient awareness (canestan=clotrimazole, clarityne=loratadine, zirtek=cetirizine etc)

You can get Ibuprofen chemists own from some chemists they are fine and much less money, not that I can take them, they are contraindicated for people like me. Ask your local chemists if they have home brand stuff, its worth it otherwise its a money making racket.

In 2010 Nurofen received a Shonky Award from CHOICE, the Australian independent consumer watchdog. The award was given for taking painkillers with the same ingredients and marketing them for specific parts of the body at varying prices. Significantly, the fast-acting painkillers labeled for specific pain types were priced higher that the general variety (in some cases almost double the price), while they all contain the same ingredients and work in the same way. The Shonky Awards are designed to expose companies with dubious marketing practices.

Honestly, just buy own brand ibuprofen. it's the same stuff and a fraction of the cost...

Guest The Pom Queen
WTF?

just been looking @ Coles online:

Coles Caplets Paracetamol 24 pack $1.05 Panadol Tablets 24 pack $3.20

Coles Tablets Ibuprofen 24 pack $2.13

Nurofen Zavance Liquid Capsules 20 pack $7.16

The think is I find Zavance work instantly, do you think it's more because they are a liquid capsule than a tablet?

Honestly, I've tried nurofen express (the UK name for zavance), and haven't noticed any major difference in the time it takes to act.

What I've found makes the biggest difference in acting speed is what's in your stomach. While it's important to have some food with the tablet to help protect against stomach ulcers, taking the tablets with a large meal seems to result in the tablet getting lost amongst the food and not digested for quite a while. I've found taking it with a piece of fruit or a couple of biscuits on what was an empty stomach works best.

I have a stock of nurofen plus in the drawer for when I get bad sciatic pain I have just been diagnosed to AS(ankolosing spondilitis) I do find that they usually work well or if I'm really bad they take the end off the pain so I can just zone out!

They work in around 1/2 hr!

Guest The Pom Queen
Honestly, I've tried nurofen express (the UK name for zavance), and haven't noticed any major difference in the time it takes to act.

What I've found makes the biggest difference in acting speed is what's in your stomach. While it's important to have some food with the tablet to help protect against stomach ulcers, taking the tablets with a large meal seems to result in the tablet getting lost amongst the food and not digested for quite a while. I've found taking it with a piece of fruit or a couple of biscuits on what was an empty stomach works best.

Thanks for that info, its very interesting and something I hadn't considered. One thing I cannot take on an empty stomach is coedine, it makes me seriously ill, I'm also not keen on Morphine that sends me quite woozy.

I usually take just cheap ibuprofen, but the liquid capsule - either nurofen or Advil or whatever do seem to work faster. I find that normal pain killers take up to an hour to work, but the liquid ones seem to kick in after around 20 minutes.

Love

Rudi

x

I just take generic ibuprofen, the active ingredient is exactly the same and I've never detected any difference in speed of action. Suspect the placebo effect is at play here!

I have a stock of nurofen plus in the drawer for when I get bad sciatic pain I have just been diagnosed to AS(ankolosing spondilitis) I do find that they usually work well or if I'm really bad they take the end off the pain so I can just zone out!

They work in around 1/2 hr!

A friend of mine has AS - not pleasant. Years ago she was on a trial for some research a guy was doing who was convinced diet was a major contributor to the severity of attacks (note, he wasn't saying diet was a cause, just that it could be made better/worse depending on what you ate).

He put the trial group on a low-starch diet and it worked really well for some of them, including my friend. However, he retired before he could publish so it never became part of the medical lexicon. Nobody took the research up because, as there were no drugs involved, nobody was interested in funding it

To this day (15 years later) she tries to keep the starch down, and if she suffers an attack she knocks it on the head completely for a few weeks and it always works for her. She's still fit and active 25+ years after diagnosis, much better than expected. Most of all she's really pleased she can have some control over the condition through diet, as she didn't want to get into a cycle of taking endless painkillers

This effect isn't unknown - a fair bit on the net about it - but it's not part of the general treatment regime as far as I know. And it doesn't work for everyone, but it might be worth a try

Good luck!

Guest guest37336

I've found nothing really works with a migraine Kate, when I did suffer from them a lie down in a darkened and quiet room 'normally' did the trick, but by god did they hurt.:no:

We buy for normal aches and pain Tesco own brand paras, and in all honesty they tend to work OK, and at 18 pence a box you can't complain.

Funnily enough there's one over here now called 'Paramol', normally knocks pain in any part of the body on the head, but very addictive and only allowed to take for three days.

Now if you will excuse me........................................................................................................................:shocked::biglaugh:

I've found nothing really works with a migraine Kate, when I did suffer from them a lie down in a darkened and quiet room 'normally' did the trick, but by god did they hurt.:no:

We buy for normal aches and pain Tesco own brand paras, and in all honesty they tend to work OK, and at 18 pence a box you can't complain.

Funnily enough there's one over here now called 'Paramol', normally knocks pain in any part of the body on the head, but very addictive and only allowed to take for three days.

Now if you will excuse me........................................................................................................................:shocked::biglaugh:

Nothing works for my migraines either, I even went to a migraine clinic for monitoring and couldn't make it any better. I have to lie down in the dark and quiet and try to sleep it off. Sometimes they can last for two days, sometimes I will go for months without an attack. I think digestion and hormonal levels may have something to do with the attacks... if I feel sick, which I usually do in spasms and therefore can't take any tablets, a can of good old coke can usually settle my stomach, and then I can sleep. Paramol made me dead woozy but didn't really remove the underlying throbbing pain. I wish I knew how to cure them!

I find with migraine, that along with the dark room and sleeping it off, 2 nurofen and 2 paracetamol and codeine taken together help a lot. I usually wake up feeling very "morning after the night before" but it does stop the excruciating headache from happening.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest guest37336
Nothing works for my migraines either, I even went to a migraine clinic for monitoring and couldn't make it any better. I have to lie down in the dark and quiet and try to sleep it off. Sometimes they can last for two days, sometimes I will go for months without an attack. I think digestion and hormonal levels may have something to do with the attacks... if I feel sick, which I usually do in spasms and therefore can't take any tablets, a can of good old coke can usually settle my stomach, and then I can sleep. Paramol made me dead woozy but didn't really remove the underlying throbbing pain. I wish I knew how to cure them!

Hi Cats.

I don't think there is a 'real' cure, I would have paid good money for ANYTHING that helped at the time.:yes:

As you say a lie down 'may' help, but by god when it's a bad one even 'trying' to get your blooming head on that pillow was torture.:no:

I remember the worse one I ever had Cats, threw up for six hours, had a 'disco' in my eyes, an Elephant pressing down on my head, and at one point if a gun had been nearby I may have used it.

Hi Cats.

I don't think there is a 'real' cure, I would have paid good money for ANYTHING that helped at the time.:yes:

As you say a lie down 'may' help, but by god when it's a bad one even 'trying' to get your blooming head on that pillow was torture.:no:

I remember the worse one I ever had Cats, threw up for six hours, had a 'disco' in my eyes, an Elephant pressing down on my head, and at one point if a gun had been nearby I may have used it.

Yes, I can go with the gun. I get a sharp, needling pain right over my left eye which feels as though it burrows into my skull. Have often been driven home by colleagues and threw up at every traffic light on the way...

For all in pain, God Bless. It is not a nice thing, specially when well meaning folk say "can you not take a tablet?" :shocked::arghh:

Guest guest37336
Yes, I can go with the gun. I get a sharp, needling pain right over my left eye which feels as though it burrows into my skull. Have often been driven home by colleagues and threw up at every traffic light on the way...

For all in pain, God Bless. It is not a nice thing, specially when well meaning folk say "can you not take a tablet?" :shocked::arghh:

Fortunately haven't suffered from one for about five years now Cats, thank god.

But it always used to make me giggle when someone said they had a 'migraine' yet still managed to go shopping, out for coffee or a couple of paras seemed to do 'the trick'.:no:

I know they are well meaning, but as you say a migraine is a wholly different animal to a headache.

Cheers Tony.

I suffer with acute migraine, the type that gives flashing lights numbness etc mimics stroke and I find if I take asprin straight away the headache is not so bad. My headaches last 2 days and I can go out and I can function with them but feel very very tired etc.

Problem is if they come on when driving have to pull over for half an hour for the blindness, numbness and lights to disappear, then the headache starts.

I have blood pressure so nurofen is not a good thing to take.

My doc prescribes mobic for me and I just take it when things get really bad fixes in a few days.

Evidently ibuprofen causes fluid retention and this is why bp people should be aware.

Guest guest36187

All Nurofen have the same ingredient which is Ibuprofen. They are all marketed for different "pains" but as they have the same ingredients with no added extras.......Shonky was the word!!!!!!!

I suffer with acute migraine, the type that gives flashing lights numbness etc mimics stroke and I find if I take asprin straight away the headache is not so bad. My headaches last 2 days and I can go out and I can function with them but feel very very tired etc.

Problem is if they come on when driving have to pull over for half an hour for the blindness, numbness and lights to disappear, then the headache starts.

I have blood pressure so nurofen is not a good thing to take.

My doc prescribes mobic for me and I just take it when things get really bad fixes in a few days.

Evidently ibuprofen causes fluid retention and this is why bp people should be aware.

I have a friend who gets these ones, she calls them migraine with aura? Can sympathise with the driving thing..... I have had to pull over before too.

Thanks for that info, its very interesting and something I hadn't considered. One thing I cannot take on an empty stomach is coedine, it makes me seriously ill, I'm also not keen on Morphine that sends me quite woozy.

Coedine makes me sick (literally lol) ... I have to avoid it