Name change on passport

aussiechick2006

I've just discovered that my Aussie passport that is still in my maiden name runs out in Jan 12. And were moving back later on in the year. Can I just renew it still in my maiden name even though i'll be using is as evidence to support my husbands partner visa application.

I only ask as I dont have a proof of name change certificate to officially change my name on mu passport. just my marriage certificate. :arghh:

Many thanks

AC

The post was deleted by the poster themselves before you were able to read it is why you can't see anything.

I'm a bit confused by your original post. Are you an Aussie citizen in the UK whose husband is applying for a spouse visa?

Your marriage certificate etc should be enough if you are renewing your Aussie passport and wish to alter your surname in there at the same time. I don't think they require anything else in this instance. I know my Aussie hubby applied for a new Aussie passport from within the UK a month or so ago and got it back within 2 weeks. So if you want to apply, get it in now and it should be back so you can make your visa application for your husband.

Also what is to say you took your husbands surname when you married? Many women choose to keep their maiden name these days, myself included and its never been an issue. No one has ever questioned if I took his name at all, just accepts I have my own surname still.

I am sure people who know far more than I will be along once the Aussie morning kicks in and will reply and be able to help more :)

The post was deleted by the poster themselves before you were able to read it is why you can't see anything.

I'm a bit confused by your original post. Are you an Aussie citizen in the UK whose husband is applying for a spouse visa?

Your marriage certificate etc should be enough if you are renewing your Aussie passport and wish to alter your surname in there at the same time. I don't think they require anything else in this instance. I know my Aussie hubby applied for a new Aussie passport from within the UK a month or so ago and got it back within 2 weeks. So if you want to apply, get it in now and it should be back so you can make your visa application for your husband.

Also what is to say you took your husbands surname when you married? Many women choose to keep their maiden name these days, myself included and its

never been an issue. No one has ever questioned if I took his name at all, just accepts I have my own surname still.

I am sure people who know far more than I will be along once the Aussie morning kicks in and will reply and be able to help more :)

Sorry if I'm confusing. I think it's because I've been in a bit of a frazzled state these last two days. As I'm sure you know there's soooo much paper work!!!

I'm Australian, married to a Brit. We met in Australia and live over here in the UK with our two children.

We've decided that the time is right to move back so paper work after paper work it is!

In the visa application for him I have to put my passport details. Which made me discover that it will expire in Jan 2012. Then when I looked into renewing it and changing it to my married name (which I use for everything) i needed to fill in certificate numbers etc. On the certificate that we were given on the day there isn't anything other than our names, place of marriage and signatures.

After more research tonight I've discovered that our celebrant back in Oz would have then handed in our information to the relevant people and I now need to apply to South Australia to get a copy of the actual certificate that we can use to change my name on my passport. A total pain in my opinion!

So because we want to get his app in ASAP I was hoping that I could just put my UK passport details on his form, which then allows plenty of time to renew my Aussie passport with the name change.

Sorry about the waffle. But hopefully may make more sense.

AC

It makes more sense now :)

Firstly, I don't know you could put your UK passport details on the form as you have to be an Aussie citizen etc don't you for your hubby to apply for a spouse visa? A UK passport number I'd worry if it would suffice.

Surely they can email you a copy of the certificate with the info you require on. In this day and age of electronic everything so long as you have the numbers to fill in from a copy, won't matter if its email or snail mail. If you get on it I'd hope they could email it within a few days?

Have you looked into a UK deed poll name change being sufficient for an Aussie passport renewal in the UK? You can get those pretty quick these days and I know that the UK passport office accepts them for a name change on a passport for a UK citizen. Might be worth looking into the Aussie set up there.

I'd always advise to ensure you do everything properly and try not to cut corners to save a few weeks. If it means you have to wait a few more weeks before applying its worth it I think. If only because its no small amount of cash you have to part with for the application and if it were to fail because of a silly passport mistake or some such you'd kick yourselves. Don't risk it. Cross all the i's and dot all the T's and get it all right the first time.

Yeah, the certificate on the day is the commemorative certificate and most places won't accept it as an official document. They want to see the certificate issued by Births, Deaths and Marriages. You won't get that emailed as it has watermarks and is on special paper etc.

I'd look up and see what else they accept for passport change of name, maybe you can get away with a stat dec? Otherwise check out births, deaths and marriages for the state you were married in. You can apply by post with a cheque I think as well as at Auspost branches.

ETA: I'd put my current passport details on the visa app and send it in. Sort out new passport and then advise new passport details on a change of circumstances form.

Sent via Tapatalk

If it is any help, I am doing genealogy and just ordered some birth certs online. They will post out the original but I also got a copy of the original via email too.

Are they old ones though? Or does it vary by state? I didn't see an option to order online earlier in the year when I got my marriage certificates (from NSW). The options were to apply via post or go to AusPost or an NSW registry office. Had to take 3 forms of ID as well....... :confused:

ETA - looked up the SA website and you can apply online there! So I'd go down that route then aussiechick2006, you want a standard marriage certificate, that's what all the official people want to see. Double check you have all the required ID documents before you start though as they have a strict list of what they accept. It's pretty straightforward, not much of a pain really (not like a visa application hahaha). No idea if they send a copy out online though.

Thank everyone. It means a lot when people reply and help out. Especially when your already tearing your hair out!

I've just applied online. I think that because I was looking it all up on the ipad it wasn't showing everything in full detail. Technology hey!

I was quite excited at crossing that off my list, only to discover I hadn't actually put it on in the first place!!!

It looks like I need that certificate to actually apple for my husbands visa anyway. So I think it's a little waiting game until it arrives. At least then I can focus on getting other bits filled in etc.

Thanks again.

AC x