relocating to adelaide

Guest Lisalab

Guest Lisalab

Hi,

I am new to the site, myself and family are currently waiting for our 457 visa to be finalised and then we will be on our way.(hopefully) My husband has been offered a position on the Dampier project but we will be moving to adelaide as he has family there. He will fly in and out on a rota bases for his job so it will just be and my 2 boys aged 9 and 5 living in adelaide. Just really wanted to touch base and see if there is anyone who can offer us any advice on relocating. I've been doing some research but i'm finding it hard to get my head around all the information out there. lol

I'm nervous about what to expect, and i'm pretty clueless about what i should be looking for in an area to settle in. I really like the look of Hallet Cove area but most important to me is good schools for my boys. I am looking forward to being able to spend more time outside(english weather doesn't really allow for that) and getting my boys involved in clubs etc. As i've never visited and have no friends there, i will be starting from scratch any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was told there is quite a large expat community online and would like to get involved in that if possible.

Thanks for reading

Lisa

Firstly, hello and welcome :)

I'm in the UK currently and married to an Aussie from Adelaide. We are moving back there in the next year or so.

First off, have a look at shipping company threads on here to give you an idea of costs etc. And nip over to Poms In Adelaide, our sister forum to chat with others in Adelaide and the surrounding area. Some visit here but most tend to hang out over there. And you'll find plenty of info on areas to live, schools and so on over there also.

If there is anything I can help with feel free to drop me a PM here or over on PIA (I'm the same username on both forums and mod both also). Happy to try to help.

I personally find Hallet Cove too far out but that is just my personal preference. I like the older style houses nearer to the city but many of those areas are a bit more pricey. But I know plenty of Brits post on PIA and live in Hallet Cove. Has some good schools and is a good area.

PIA also organise meet ups and many of the mums and families there are happy to meet up to say hello and so hopefully you'll make a few friends that way. Depending on where you currently live, Adelaide may be different from what you are used to. I love it there, its not a massive city so I don't feel swamped in it, can get around easy enough and has some great beaches being on the gulf.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/

Anyways, good luck and feel free to join in over here and over there :)

Guest Matelotchick

Hi Lisa.

I too am new to all this - my husband and I will be hopefully moving to Adelaide sometime next year. He has been offered a job (the easy part), now we have to start the visa application process (the hard part!)

Take moving house in the UK and multply it by 100 - that feels like the kind of stress levels we'll be under soon! We don't know Adelaide either so I too am doing some research in terms of areas etc. Try subscribing to Poms In Adelaide - I've just done that as well to try to get some more specific info.

Hope all goes well - keep in touch and you never know, I may see you at the beach!

Karen xx

Guest Lisalab

Thanks very much for the advicexx

Hi Karen,

It all feels very overwhelming, we should hear in the next couple of weeks whether our visa was successful, and the company want my husband out there ASAP so probaly around Xmas time. I'm just trying to get my head around where we may like to settle in Adelaide , it all looks beautiful to be honest. My main priorities will be good schools for my boys and reasonably near the airport as my husband will be flying in from karratha. It's nice to feel I'm not the only one going through it!! lol

It will be hard starting again making new friends etc but these forums seem to be a good place to start. Hopefully it will all go smoothly for you and you will be out there before you know it

Good luck

Lisa