Do we need a pool or is it a luxury?

frostie

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree! We have a pool & i'd say in hind sight they're over rated. Now AIR CONDITIONING....THAT'S A MUST!!!!

X Katherine

The air conditioning thing turned out to be a sore subject for us. My wife had to go pick the house. She wanted a pool in reality. Told her to make sure it had AC. So we have a pool but no AC because she didnt bother to check

We have a pool and wouldn't be without it. We use it from about end October/beginning November until March or maybe April. Our eldest is at school now, but in the height of summer last year we went in pretty much every day. She is at school now, so it will just be youngest and I unless it is her preschool day in which case it is just me! Bliss! I love swimming and use a swimbelt for exercise, so for me during the five or six months of the year that we can use it it is wonderful, and well worth the expense and few minutes a week it takes to empty the skimmer box, skim the surface with a net and backwash the filter.

We don't seem to get many leaves though. The people next year turn their pump off over winter and just cover it over, so when they take the cover off it is a dark green swamp. Within a few days it is back to good though. We leave ours uncovered and just halve the time the pump runs and it just seems to be fine.

Bald Hills. Forget the doomsayers talking about green water and maintainence. 5 minutes a week is all mine gets. You get on top of the pool, you don't let it get on top of you. Pool blanket collects the leaves. creepy crawly collects the dust on the bottom.

You are so right. Automatic cleaner, salt chlorinator and timer on the filter means the time you spend on maintenance isn't worth mentioning.

The air conditioning thing turned out to be a sore subject for us. My wife had to go pick the house. She wanted a pool in reality. Told her to make sure it had AC. So we have a pool but no AC because she didnt bother to check

To be honest thats something i probably would have done .... Now i will be looking for a pool and airconditioning. Reading these posts i really want the pool now... Cant wait to arrive in Sydney in the new year ..:biggrin:

To be honest thats something i probably would have done .... Now i will be looking for a pool and airconditioning. Reading these posts i really want the pool now... Cant wait to arrive in Sydney in the new year ..:biggrin:

Whatever you do Don't forget the aircon its a must:eek: otherwise you'll be sleeping in the pool too:wink:. Have a safe flight hopefully see you in the new year once your settled.

Whatever you do Don't forget the aircon its a must:eek: otherwise you'll be sleeping in the pool too:wink:. Have a safe flight hopefully see you in the new year once your settled.

Thanks..... Visions off us all sleeping in the garden popped into my head.... I have my lilo already so ill be ok lol.....:laugh:

Would be great to meet up when we arrive :biggrin:

Take care

Mandy

I did not have air-con for 2 months in the summer and felt drained and ill at work the next morning due to sweating and no sleep. :embarrassed:

For a lot of people the beach soon wears off and a pool is better for them, I just prefer a cold beer and a place in the shade.:cute:

I also like a old beer and a place in the shade after having a swim in our pool. We came out to Aus for a different lifestyle and the pool is certainly part of that.

Charlie

:biggrin:

I moved from the UK to Sydney and wanted a pool - we moved to killarney heights and got a house with a pool, we have since moved from that house and now live in a house without a pool. A pool is a nice to have but the upkeep is a nightmare and the electric pump has to be on for at least 8 hours a day. There are so many nice beaches around that you dont have to have a pool but like I said its a nice to have.

Darren

I moved from the UK to Sydney and wanted a pool - we moved to killarney heights and got a house with a pool, we have since moved from that house and now live in a house without a pool. A pool is a nice to have but the upkeep is a nightmare and the electric pump has to be on for at least 8 hours a day. There are so many nice beaches around that you dont have to have a pool but like I said its a nice to have.

Darren

Not so if you have a chlorinator. You can up it to 100% and get away with 6 hrs in summer and 3 in winter. Mine has always run that way for the last 6 years and I've never had a problem with the pool.

If you go solar, you can run the pump at night (in Qld) and the leccy costs you 21 cents kWh. Meanwhile, during the day, the electricity that you would normally use running it during the day is being fed back into the grid and paying you a minimum of 44cents and in my case, being with AGL, 52cents.

Not so if you have a chlorinator. You can up it to 100% and get away with 6 hrs in summer and 3 in winter. Mine has always run that way for the last 6 years and I've never had a problem with the pool.

QUOTE]

I agree with this, in fact I only run my pool pump for 2 hours in the winter.

Charlie

:wink: