You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest jimkell

Confused, how do i find out about sponsorship?

Guest jimkell

Hi

I am a qualified Nurse with 8 years experience in both surgical/medical nursing. My family and I are looking to move to Perth in the near future. We have decided to apply for PR as this is our best option. We have been looking into sponsorship as I would be the main applicant for our visa application. I am not really sure where to begin and would really appreciate some help and advice. What help did you get on relocating to Australia?

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you soon.:rolleyes:

Have you looked at the DIAC website? All the different visas, their eligibility and requirements are given in full detail. You can get state sponsorship or employer sponsorship. Where in Oz are you heading for? Different visas have different priorities regarding application processing times. Spend some time browsing this site... all your answers are in here. Good luck.

RGN (43) OH (47) 2 daughters (6 & 4):hug: AHPRA applied Sept. '11 & granted Jan. '12. Job offer June '12...e457 lodged 23 aug.'12..medical 28 aug.'12.. visa granted 6 Sept.'12!.. Arrived in Oz 4 Nov 2012.....!

The main Immigration website (http://www.immi.gov.au/) should provide you with a 'points' test. You need 65 points to be able to apply for PR, but you get these from various places, including age, qualifications/experience, English assessments (up to 20) and state sponsorship (5). Work out how you intend to accumulate these points and you're off ...

Next, if you intend to go for WA sponsorship, check out this site.

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/Occupationsindemand.aspx

If you are on the WA skills list and it's showing available, you are eligible to apply for SS. It also shows the assessing body.

For a PR visa straight out (175/176) you will need a skills assessment, so that is really hurdle 1. Some (and as you're medical I suspect you'll fall into this category) need an English assessment in order to get the skills assessment. If so, that's hurdle 1a. Then you need to amass your skills assessment documentation and submit, hurdle 1b.

Once you have a positive skills assessment, you move onto hurdle 2, the state sponsorship. Shouldn't take too long for this one, and assuming you have the skills assessment and necessary English skills you should be home free.

Then finally the main hurdle the actual 175/176 application. This involves the application (3a), and when requested a police clearance (3b) and medical checkup (3c).

Pass all these and you should get the visa.

If you have complex circumstances such as children from previous partners, previous custodial sentences of 12 months or more, health issues, etc. then I'd advise seeking a professional opinion before you start out as these can hamper what is otherwise a relatively straightforward process.

Hope this helps

P

Hi

I am a qualified Nurse with 8 years experience in both surgical/medical nursing. My family and I are looking to move to Perth in the near future. We have decided to apply for PR as this is our best option. We have been looking into sponsorship as I would be the main applicant for our visa application. I am not really sure where to begin and would really appreciate some help and advice. What help did you get on relocating to Australia?

Many thanks and look forward to hearing from you soon.:rolleyes:

In addition to Pete D's very useful post, be aware that an employer sponsored visa, if this is what you mean, is not a PR visa. It is a temporary 4 year visa and if you are made redundant then you only have a few weeks to find another employer willing to sponsor you or you have to leave Australia.

I would do what Pete has suggested and go for the 175 or 176. They will take longer to get than an 457 employer nominated visa but at least you will have more security with it.

Regards Derren

Guest jimkell

Cheers PeteD for you helpful advice, but what is the difference between the175/176? I am pleased to say that things are definitely starting to look a lot more clearer, although it doesn't take much to confuse myself or the other half!!! One last question, did you use an agent or did you sort everything out yourselves?

Jimkell

Yep, darren7 has a good point here. I didn't go down the 457 route due to the obvious security issues brought up. I wasn't about to give up a secure lifestyle for one upon which I was reliant on an employer, but there are many who have successfully, usually those with a bigger appetite for risk or less to lose.

P

Cheers PeteD for you helpful advice, but what is the difference between the175/176? I am pleased to say that things are definitely starting to look a lot more clearer, although it doesn't take much to confuse myself or the other half!!! One last question, did you use an agent or did you sort everything out yourselves?

Jimkell

The 175 is an unsponsored visa, basically you are free to live and work anywhere in Aus from Day 1. They generally take longer to get (up to a year longer).

The 176 is sponsored by a state. Basically the state says 'yes we need your skills' and they grant you the 5 points and the ability to apply for a fast track if you are prepared to live and work in their state for the first 2 years you're in Aus. They don't provide much else and in return you're not required sell your soul to them. It's simply a mutual agreement (and you'll find a few threads about this) in which the state says 'we'll give you the nod, because we want your skills' and in return you give them the nod and agree to work within their boundaries for 2 years.

If you're intent on WA, and you're on their skills list, seems like a no-brainer to go for it.

Forgot to mention, I did everything myself as it was a relatively straightforward application, no complexities. Saved a couple of £k from what I had been quoted by agents.

P

Hi, agree with everything that the previous posters have said. We are moving to Perth hopefully early next year, we are applying for permanaent residency (176 state sponsored route) as I am a midwife.

I have been offered a job as a midwife in a Perth hospital and they are sponsoring me on a temporary visa (457), this means I'll get there quicker and will be in oz whilst my application for permanent residency is being processed.

I found my job by emailing my CV to local maternity hospitals in south Perth (where we are planning to settle), gots lots of positive responses and got a couple of tlephone interviews quite quickly. A good place to start is to go to the WA health website at http://www.health.wa.gov.au/home/ and look at what services/hospitals are available for the type of nursing you're interested in and then email them direct.

Its also worth checking out perthpoms at http://www.perthpoms.com/ if its Perth you are definitely interested in.

If you need any further help just yell or PM me.

Kirstie x:smile: