Is contraception free in Australia?

purpledonna

Have you thought about an IUD? They last 8 years or so - free in the UK and about $200 here to have fitted at the Family Planning place.

Hi looked into one after I had my DS (5), but never went through with it, wasn't sure about it, don't know anyone who has one...

Sarah

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the implant in your arm, it lasts for 3 years

Loving your new pic Stacey.

My Sister in law had one of those and it made her ill, kinda put me off. Defo don't want any more babies though... although as DH is already in Oz not an option at the moment!

Sarah

Loving your new pic Stacey.

My Sister in law had one of those and it made her ill, kinda put me off. Defo don't want any more babies though... although as DH is already in Oz not an option at the moment!

Sarah

they arent too bad, ive put a bit of weight on since mine but nothing drastic. they are definitely handy because you dont have to worry about things once its in, I didnt want to take the pill because i thought i might forget it! what about the jag, you get them every 6months so thats not so bad either

they arent too bad, ive put a bit of weight on since mine but nothing drastic. they are definitely handy because you dont have to worry about things once its in, I didnt want to take the pill because i thought i might forget it! what about the jag, you get them every 6months so thats not so bad either

Will have to chat with the GP, taking the kids with me though...... :biglaugh:

Well I for one am glad that someone asked the question as I was wondering about it too, can you get a family member from the UK to get a repeat prescription for you and send it over? Someone told me that's what they do but i didn't think you could send medication in the post?

Don't think you should broadcast that :laugh:

Will have to chat with the GP, taking the kids with me though...... :biglaugh:

Lol im sure they wont listen, my friends are on the pill and they're always forgetting or muck it up, i just wouldnt want to take the risk, im far too forgetful and the last thing i need right now is a baby! :laugh: although im dreading my implant coming out, they have to make a little incision in your arm :shocked:

So, I have a Doc appoiinntment this week for my pill... can I take 12 months owrth into Oz with me then?

Sarah

As has been suggested, a coil would be good. In the long term using it has far less side effects than using the pill iirc (don't quote me on it, talk to your GP) and is more reliable than taking the pill (which usually fails due to human error or illness). Loads of women use coils. I know quite a few women who have used them since having kids and much prefer it over the pill. I just think they don't broadcast their contraceptive choice :cute:

Also a GP worth their salt shouldn't prescribe a woman a 12 months supply of the pill in one go. I understand it to be a 3 month or 6 month repeat prescription only these days. And a check up at least once a year before carrying on prescribing it.

I'd talk to your GP and find out more about the IUD/coil option as it really is the longest lasting most straightforward contraceptive I reckon.

So, I have a Doc appoiinntment this week for my pill... can I take 12 months owrth into Oz with me then?

Sarah

Yes. :yes:

Before I left the UK, I went to the Doc and explained I was immigrating - she checked my BP and gave me a prescription for 12 months worth of pills.

I brought them over in my luggage, declared them at customs on arrival and had no problems.

• 5 months later...
Guest Cirrus
I've been Googling about it but can't find anything concrete. Is contraception free over there? Such as condoms, contraceptive jelly and what not? I guess it's best to stock up before hand really.

Contraception has been free in the UK since the 1970's It is one of the many things that a responsible government provides on behalf of it's citizens. You can pay for certain "brand" products in pharmacies and via vending machines but if you visit a family planning clinic, you will be given a 3 month supply with no questions or issues.

What constantly amazes me about this forum is the number of expats who attempt to unreasonably criticise their motherland. Surely, it would be beter to raise standards in Australia rather than ridicule every good thing about the UK. TBH, most people I talk to, would dearly like to see the wealthy australian government spend more money on health and education and less on keeping the unions happy!

I talked to my GP in the UK about getting a coil but they generally don't encourage it if you've yet to have children. He told me that once I had a child they would be more enthusiastic about the longer term contraceptives (i.e. coils or implants).

I've had no problem getting the pill here, was on microgynon 30 in the UK now on Levlen ED here. The only gripe I have is having to pay for it.

Me too. I am used to paying for the pill from Germany anyway. (It is free in Germany up to the age of 21.)

So even when I lived in London I took my German one - in contrast to all those German girls who come over to England just for the free pill. Yes they exist!!! It's called "pill tourism" in Germany.

Mine costs about £60 for six months and I am still getting it in Germany because I am afraid to change brand ('cause of hairloss and stuff like that).

Yes I do take a one year supply when I travel back to Australia but I keep the prescription or at least a copy of it just in case someone at customs asks about it.

BTW I would not just swap my contraceptive method just like that without searching the internet for further info and talking to a doctor, so I would never try out a coil or something else just when I am about move to a new continent! What if there are any problems?

Yes it is true there are side effects of hormonal contraception but there are also side effects when you don't use any contraception...:em4700:

Edited by marta

Guest SupportPants
Contraception has been free in the UK since the 1970's It is one of the many things that a responsible government provides on behalf of it's citizens. You can pay for certain "brand" products in pharmacies and via vending machines but if you visit a family planning clinic, you will be given a 3 month supply with no questions or issues.

What constantly amazes me about this forum is the number of expats who attempt to unreasonably criticise their motherland. Surely, it would be beter to raise standards in Australia rather than ridicule every good thing about the UK. TBH, most people I talk to, would dearly like to see the wealthy australian government spend more money on health and education and less on keeping the unions happy!

Very true! The NHS is a wonderful thing completely taken for granted by me until I started having to pay $200 for a hygienist appointment and £40 to see a gp.

I got an iud in Cairns at the family planning place. It was a palava - a 'counselling' appointment (donation asked for $20), the fitting (donation asked for $20) and the actual device $180.

I think many social ills could be alleviated by better access to contraception in Oz but with the high prices and bizarre bribes like the baby bonus (no global overpopulation problem??!!!) then no wonder people have big (often welfare supported) families.

Guest Southern Cross Personnel

Hi Donna,

There is a charge for all prescriptions over here as well as pharmacy products. Hope that helps

nope, not free, my pill is $23 for 4 months worth, but add on top of that the cost of a doctors appointment (mine is $65 but can claim $35 back from medicare).

To the person who said there arent as many types here - there are just the same amounts and types of prescription meds here, but due to the higher cost of medicine here (or the different structure) generic brands are often offered as an alternative, they are EXACTLY the same they just dont have a fancy brand name.

My pill in UK was microgynon, here I use the generic brand as microg here is about $90 as opposed to levenorgiestinol (or something like tha!) is the cheaper $23 option. Interestingly, its cheaper to get the packs with the 7 sugar pills too but I just chuck them away.

Even better if you are sure you've completed your family go for permanent contraception (snip snip) I agree contraception should be free or certainly very low cost. Prevention is better than cure.

To the highly enlightened poster who says they shouldn't pay for my "sprogs" I'll remind him of that when my "sprogs" are paying his pension or medical care, or generally keeping society going by paying their taxes. Taxes they will be able to pay thanks to the education and upbringing provided by the government that is paid for by their taxes. How short sighted can you be? Must be another person under the illusion that their money is being popped into a saving account for their future.:wacko: