Is contraception free in Australia?

purpledonna

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder the Uk has one of the highest rates of teenage/unplanned pregancies if people expect taxpayers to fund their condoms and so lazy they can't be bothered to pay for them. Take some responsibility instead of sponging off others.

:biglaugh:

Surely a wind up?

The most bizarre reasoning ever if not.

No wonder the Uk has one of the highest rates of teenage/unplanned pregancies if people expect taxpayers to fund their condoms and so lazy they can't be bothered to pay for them. Take some responsibility instead of sponging off others.

Doesn't really help the OP much. Perhaps we should stick to genuine assistance rather than narrow minded opinions.

Yeah mine was about $70 for 3 months. I also got "attacked" somewhat for a similar thread. I don't see why free contraception would contribute to a high teenage pregnancy rate :confused: Also children's prescriptions are not free and for saying I think that is wrong some folk also thought it appropriate to call me a bludger or whatever. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it is a wind up. I wasn't aware that you could get contaception for free in the UK - now that I am aware, I think I'd agree that it isn't something that I'd expect someone to pay for on my behalf..

Let's look at it from the OP's POV, they are merely asking what the situation is in Australia. There is no suggestion as to what is wrong or right.

I personally wouldn't walk into a pharmacy in the UK and demand they take some money for what is given out for free. I never 'asked' the UK government to pay for it - that's just the way it is in the UK and has been for many years, there's no point in making judgements about it.

Let's look at it from the OP's POV, they are merely asking what the situation is in Australia. There is no suggestion as to what is wrong or right.

I personally wouldn't walk into a pharmacy in the UK and demand they take some money for what is given out for free. I never 'asked' the UK government to pay for it - that's just the way it is in the UK and has been for many years, there's no point in making judgements about it.

Exactly!!

I've always bought my own condoms:wink:

As the original poster of this topic I feel I'm being forced to explain myself to certain members. I too have always bought my own condoms. I merely asked the question because I was curious. Having recently been put on a new form of contraception I was advised by the gynecologist that I could pop in any time to the clinic and pick up more at no cost.

Kinda sorry I asked now. :dull:

Your logic is backwards. Surely the aim if free contraception is to lower unplanned pregnancy?

Guest guest17301

This might be irrelevant but the way I look at it medicines and healthcare are not free in the UK at all...you pay a hefty whack in N.I contributions every month. No such thing here....

There's no prescription charge for the pill in the UK, and there are certain places where you can get condoms for free, generally the same places that provide info about safe sex, for example most student unions, family planning clinics etc.

These are aimed at people who might not have much cash, for example teenagers who don't want their parents to know they're having sex, the argument is that they're going to have sex anyway, so it's better for them to have some sort of access to protection.

Adults with an income are expected to buy their condoms from the usual places.

To the OP: the cost of the pill in australia varies depending on the brand/type you use.

Your logic is backwards. Surely the aim if free contraception is to lower unplanned pregnancy?

The thinking could be that if contraception is free and readily available you are giving the message to young people that it is 'ok' to have sex. With young people being inherently young, and therefore rather inexperienced, there is a higher risk of them using the contraceptives incorrectly, and therefore getting pregnant I guess.

Its the argument they use against sex education in schools for young people, with ignorant people ala Nadine Dorries peddling 'well if we only them 'don't do it', no-one will do it and it will all be ok'.

For those that didn't know - in the UK prescriptions that are contraceptive based are at no charge to the patient (ie prescriptions for the pill and so on), and you can get free condoms from your local FPA clinic - although they have a rather limited selection, so if you like a particular thing you might not be able to get it - beggars can't be choosers though I guess lol. Depending on where you are in the country and the levels of single parent birth rates/deprivation/benefit claimants seems to depend on how readily they are to prescribe amounts of pill etc in one go (in affluent area of London it was a fight to get a 3 months supply, here in the Midlands they wouldn't let me leave without a prescription for a 12 months supply, a bag full of condoms and loads of pamphlets about getting a coil or implant fitted and the promise I would seriously consider it).

OP and anyone else interested, as someone mentioned they don't have the same name brands etc over there, so its a good idea to ask your GP the composition of your pill, and/or the generic name for it, rather than the brand name, so that your doctor in Oz can put you on the Aussie version of it, as well as taking the original box and leaflet from an old packet.

Guest guest17301

In addition, you have to pay the cost of a GP consultation here...bout $30 once you claim your 50% back from medicare....but they do give you repeats, think I get 2, so a years supply. In the UK it was a pain to go back every 3-6 months for a new script.