repeat perscriptions cost

Guest tracey ibbitson

Guest SupportPants

Items differ wildly. My new fangled inhaler is $58 per time - my partners generic pills 11 bucks. It depends how new the treatment is, whether there is a generic option and where you are.

Max per item of around $34 (give or take a few cents). Once you have forked out $1327 in a year on medications then they are dispensed at the discount rate of $5 (give or take). If you have a concessions card (pensioner, low income etc) then you get the bargain rate all the time.

Just to expand on what's been said, the system is very different here. At the time of prescribing, the doctor can give you authorisation for as many repeats as seems appropriate. With my BP and arthritis meds, I often get six-twelve months worth on one script.

However, each individual "filling" tends to be about 4 weeks worth (again, this can vary depending on how many tablets come in a standard pack). You pay whatever the meds cost, up to a ceiling of around $36--so if you're on something super expensive you never pay more than this amount each time you fill a script or a repeat.

However, there are a couple of extra twists. First, if your family has a LOT of scripts, once you've paid about $1300 (as a family) you go onto a scheme where you pay a flat rate (around $5.60) for every additional script whatever the cost.

Second, if you're a relatively low earner, you go onto the $5.60ish flat rate right away and, after a certain number of scripts, (it works out to about 65) then the rest of the year is free. Between our regular stuff, my family hits the level in April or May most years--yeah, between blood pressure and arthritis, I take a lot of tablets!

So, unlike the UK where you have to ring your surgery each time you need a repeat, if the doctor agrees he can give you authorisation for six months+ worth of repeats right away...then the complication starts.

However, each individual "filling" tends to be about 4 weeks worth (again, this can vary depending on how many tablets come in a standard pack). You pay whatever the meds cost, up to a ceiling of around $36--so if you're on something super expensive you never pay more than this amount each time you fill a script or a repeat.

Sorry but I pay over forty dollars for one of my prescriptions and my friend used to pay one hundred and fifty dollars for hers but fortunately it is now cheaper for her.

There is no set ceiling if the drug is on the PBS but not deemed really necessary like one of mine then you have to pay more for it. Anything that is not on the PBS you pay full price for.

Also there are some prescriptions that are available only with authorisation form Canberra and these drugs are for specific conditions etc. My daughter takes Keppra but this is not available for all people with the condition she takes it for. She has to have it as she is diabetic and other tabs are not suitable.

Its complicated and if you take a few meds then its going to cost over hundred dollars a month for prescriptions.

You're fairly unlucky...I'm on quite a number of different medications but all are available on the Prescription Benefit Scheme (PBS). One of mine is an "authority script" but all that means is that the doctor has to ring and get an approval number when prescribing it (at least in the quantity I take).

Have you investigated whether there are PBS equivalents to the meds you're taking at full price?

Ironically, last time I visited the UK, I found that one of my Australian scripts (which is on the PBS here) isn't approved by NICE in the UK and would have cost me a fortune there....but there was a generic equivalent that did just as well for me.

Ironically, last time I visited the UK, I found that one of my Australian scripts (which is on the PBS here) isn't approved by NICE in the UK and would have cost me a fortune there....but there was a generic equivalent that did just as well for me.

We have this too with one of my daughter's medications. Except we couldn't get anyone to even prescribe it to a toddler but it is normal here. If a prescription isn't covered by PBS, I would look at your private insurance if you have it. It is another reason private medical is a good idea for our family as we certainly do get benefit from it.