Cerberus1

I'll name that bird in 5 (hopefully)

Do any amateur ornithologists know what bird this is (audio only). It starts at about 4am in the morning and goes on.. and on... and on ... :arghh: or so I'm told, I sleep through it :laugh: unlike Kate.

[YOUTUBE]sFWBG8V0N4U[/YOUTUBE]

OMG this bird, it is the only noise in the rainforest that drives me insane, I can cope with screeching cockatoos, green tree frogs but this bird arrrggghhhhhh :arghh::arghh::arghh:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Just listened to it and most of it is cut short, the full call is at 28 seconds where you get the end bit added on.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Sounds like a koala to me

:wub::wub: trust you:tongue:

Wouldn't know, we don't have noisy birds down here, they are all perfectly behaved.:tongue:

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

:wub::wub: trust you:tongue:

What?:wideeyed:

Its the mating call of a lesser furred humping koala (Koalas Rumpy v. terroaustralis) closely related to the Drop Bear (Koalas Droppii v. terroraustralis)

They are particuarily active this time of year, its not uncommon to find the males attempting to molest washing thats been left out overnight in more built up areas.:yes:

Whilst training near Cooktown as a Coastwatcher during WW2, Oscar Wilde was famously quoted as saying "Anyone fancy a beer?", which is believed to have nothing to do with koalas at all.:cool:

Guest guest37336
OMG this bird, it is the only noise in the rainforest that drives me insane, I can cope with screeching cockatoos, green tree frogs but this bird arrrggghhhhhh :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Go with the flow Kate, relax, calm and take the beauty in, if that fails:

[YOUTUBE]4vuW6tQ0218[/YOUTUBE]

:embarrassed::embarrassed::biglaugh:

Guest guest37336

There are indeed some strange 'animal' calls out there Rob.:idea:

Filmed this one only last week when the pubs turned out.

[YOUTUBE]F0BfcdPKw8E&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Nah, not the koel...They are a Wet Season visitor and their call is like their name...ko..elll. Also called the rainbird.

Cheers, Bobj.

Nah, not the koel...They are a Wet Season visitor and their call is like their name...ko..elll. Also called the rainbird.

Cheers, Bobj.

The koels are around here at this time of the year. Their call carries for miles. We occasionally see them in the bottlebrush in the garden.

Location of the recording might help.

Sorry Nigel it's the rainforest in Cairns:wubclub:

OK, I'll do some searching in my books for that area, incidentally I'll be visiting next month, taking a cruise up the East Coast and Cairns is one of our stops, we've booked trips into the rain forest.

Incidentally I use a small hand-held recorder, an Olympus Digital DS-30. It records and plays back in reasonable quality stereo. When I hear a bird in the distance I record then play back immediately, the bird seems to think 'what other bird like me is invading my territory', it comes towards me to investigate, I can then get a photo. I've identified a number of birds this way. The only problem I've had with this is that I cannot record when the bird is very close, I suspect that they can hear sounds well above our audibility range that are coming from the recording mechanism, it frightens them then they just stop singing. Actually they are probably thinking 'one of those bloody photographers with a recorder has tricked me again'.

When you mentioned 4:00am I immediately thought of Koel but as soon as I played the recording it was very clear that it was something else. We do get Koels visiting the Upper North Shore of Sydney in January and February but not every year. Ten years ago we had one that became tame enough to sit on the rail near to our back door and be hand fed, we tried to explain to it that it is a fruit eater but it insisted on eating the meat that we provided for the magpies. We also get visits from the Drongo but not very often.

• Like 1

Nigel's Travel Blog

General Blog

I live in Australia for family reasons. My family is in UK.