last remaining relative and partner visa

Guest seraphon198666

Guest seraphon198666

Hi there, i'm new here but really need some help.

My girlfriend and i are currently living in Adelaide with her family (they wonderfully paid for us to come out here) and are currently on whv with the intention of doing 3 months rural work in order to be granted a second year.

My girlfriends family are intending to get her a last remaining relative visa asap (they've been here for about 7 years). The issue is that i'm 24, and regarded as unskilled (though i'm pretty good with computers) and now we're trying to find out how i can stay here permanently. We've been together for about 18 months and since coming to Oz have got a joint bank account so that we can verify our relationship in the eyes of the law, but further to that we can't think of what to do. Would i be able to be part of the last remaining relative visa as a de facto partner? I'd happily marry her to make it official if required, but i'd rather wait a bit longer (i'm an old romantic at heart and want to do things in our own time if possible).

But any advice or info you guys can give me would be appreciated beyond belief.

actually, unless you also have no immediate family outside australia, she can't get a LRR because of you, and if she lies and claims she's single, then even when she gets an LRR after the approx ten years processing time, she wouldn't be able to sponsor you as her partner.

would she qualify for a skilled visa? you could be included on this and vice versa if you can get a skilled visa.

I would go chat to a migration agent. A one hour consultation won't cost the earth.

Guest Tillyloola
actually, unless you also have no immediate family outside australia, she can't get a LRR because of you, and if she lies and claims she's single, then even when she gets an LRR after the approx ten years processing time, she wouldn't be able to sponsor you as her partner.

would she qualify for a skilled visa? you could be included on this and vice versa if you can get a skilled visa.

I would go chat to a migration agent. A one hour consultation won't cost the earth.

Are you sure thats right? I was under the impression (I've actually been told on here as I was under the same impression as you), that partners don't matter under the LRR rules, in fact even if she had kids they wouldn't count either. As long as she has no immediate family left, she can apply. I'm sure that was the case because I remember being quite surprised. Wether or not he would have to go down the de facto route our if he could be classed as the partner on the LRR visa I'm not sure.

LRR visas do have a stupidly long wait time though.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/835/

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if both of these apply:

• you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
  • you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.

Guest Tillyloola
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/835/

Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if both of these apply:

• you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia

• you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.

Ahh thats right, his family get counted as hers. So unless he's on his Jack as well, this isn't going to be the visa for them.