robbothejoiner

Carpenter skills test. What is it exactly and what is the total cost?

Hi, got my IELTS tomorrow so on the off chance I actually pass, I thought I better start the ball rolling on the next part I am tackling. Skills assessment for carpenter (331212).

What does it actually entail? All parts. Did some homework pre July but things have changed somewhat.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed on both the IELTS or skills assessments.

Thanks

Rob.

Thanks for that. Very helpful. Although I see most posts are pre July. Have things stayed the same? Also is it still only Belfast and London for the assessments? Being from Glasgow, they are not exactly local.

Thanks again

Rob

I gather they mix it up from time to time. The guys before my OH didn't have to build a hipped roof. They had just bought that in. Not sure of the other venues. It can work out to be pretty expensive especially when you start adding air/train fares and fuel. Also hotel bills.

By all accounts the vetassess guys are really helpful and very approachable.

176 Family Visa GSM. Visa Granted 01/11/2011 Validated Visa Feb 2012

In order to stand out from the flock one must first be a sheep

Guest Ginjafro

I am a Joiner but did witness what the Carpenters had to do at a recent practical assessment day in London during September 2011. They had to build a section of "Hipped Roof" which was roughly 1mx1mx1m, from a drawing. They also have to respond to a series of questions during the day and must know health & safety.

Hi

I did my Joinery test pre July, on my jack jones may I add,but there were 5 chippies, from all over the shop, inc Ireland and Scotland, I saw them do the stuff previously mentioned, but also some stud work and the hipped roof attached to that, but be aware that they may also throw in a saw horse, I saw a load out the back of the college so they may add it. The reason why all the joiners know what the chippies did is because I spent half the day doing nothing, our test was piss easy,the chippies were working non stop, the intervies Qs will be standard stuff, inc H&S!!!

It will prob be college of north west london.

is the cost AU$600 for the written test (pass this and then you get invited to the prac)

and the prac AU$1050? I think I paid circa AU$1700??? all in, but as for travel I live 10mins drive from the college :biggrin: :wink: :biggrin: :wink:

Voted worst new member 2011..... :err:

Hi Robbo,

Have a look at this thread... Interesting read after you have got past us women having a chat.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/107075-carpenters-vetassess-3.html

Mandy, hows trix? I thought you got your visa ages ago????? I see the DIAC is at 01 Jan 11, did you not frontload? you still on the FS 176 thread?

Cheers

Mandy, hows trix? I thought you got your visa ages ago????? I see the DIAC is at 01 Jan 11, did you not frontload? you still on the FS 176 thread?

Cheers

Hi Jim...

No still waiting. I lodged march 9th. Front loaded too.

Hopefully it should be soon. As I see a couple of people in April have a CO and there has been movement in march too.

Yep still on your thread. It's getting frustrating. Back to sleepless nights. Also my nana in Australia has had two major operations in one week. So it's been a bit tense.

How's things with you?

Hi Jim...

No still waiting. I lodged march 9th. Front loaded too.

Hopefully it should be soon. As I see a couple of people in April have a CO and there has been movement in march too.

Yep still on your thread. It's getting frustrating. Back to sleepless nights. Also my nana in Australia has had two major operations in one week. So it's been a bit tense.

How's things with you?

Stressed, who isnt, New baby (2 now!) new job, start a degree in Dec (open university) so have not had a chance to catch up on PIO for a while, Thing is my new job is in the same industry but not closely related.... have to inform DIAC.... hope it doesn't affect my Visa...:wideeyed: So in all very testing times at the mo, you looking to get over ASAP, Im aiming for next Xmas, need the family's help with the kids till there at least 3 and 1...really wish I had--DeLoran!!!

you visiting Oz this year for a hol to see your rellies?

Stressed, who isnt, New baby (2 now!) new job, start a degree in Dec (open university) so have not had a chance to catch up on PIO for a while, Thing is my new job is in the same industry but not closely related.... have to inform DIAC.... hope it doesn't affect my Visa...:wideeyed: So in all very testing times at the mo, you looking to get over ASAP, Im aiming for next Xmas, need the family's help with the kids till there at least 3 and 1...really wish I had--DeLoran!!!

you visiting Oz this year for a hol to see your rellies?

Congratulations on both the baby and job front!

I'm will go over this year to validate as soon as humanly possible after obtaining the visa.

Then come back and get cracking organising everything. I'm hoping to get over there next year. OH is working 7 days a week at the moment but will take next weekend off to finish off odd jobs in the house and re paint some rooms.

If your job is in the same industry I doubt it will affect your visa.

Good luck with the Degree.

If you manage to find a DeLorian I'd like a go in it :wink:

That's magic. Thanks. I realize it will probably be a bit more expensive now. Even the IELTS goes up to £125 in January. Sat that yesterday, so fingers crossed. Need 7's for the 10 points. :(

Thanks for your help and good luck with your adventure.