register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

cartertucker

Giving change of address.....

Who do we need to notify of change of address? :unsure:

Passport office, DVLA??? :confused: Im not sure?

Guest boxtobox

Only been here 3 months but I recall telling my credit card company I was over here, want to retain my credit card to use in emergencies as no real credit rating here yet. We also informed the Revenue and Customs as we are letting our UK property out - nice tax rebate received but self assesment needed at end of year so may get taken back. Bank were keen to know we were abroad - no issues as our rent is paid in to the account and we use it to buy on Amazon and get relative to send over etc. Pension companies also informed.

Don't forget to cancel mobile phone, internet, Virgin/Sky etc as they all want a piece of the action when you have gone, try sorting that lot out from 9000 miles away, it's difficult enough from the UK.

Didn't bother with DVLA.

Be prepared to fork out at every turn over here, just got my Aussie driving licence and paid $157 for a five year one. Also if you buy a car be prepared to pay tax on the purchase price - yep just for buying the thing second hand!

Also don't forget to tell the family you are going!

Pension company, any internet shopping sites you are on. We keep getting post from the guy who lived in our flat before us.

TV licence - if you pay by DD you should be 6 months in advance so they owe you money. The buggers wanted proof that we were leaving the country so had to send them photocopies of our tickets to prove it.

Local council - if you want to keep your vote and set up a proxy vote so someone else can actually vote for you. They don't have to live in the same area as you.

Make sure you claim your tax back from the taxman. It took 3 months but I got 500 quid back.

Guest boxtobox

Yeah, the Tax man. Who can forget about him? Don't forget about the council tax! We were in credit, as pointed out by Boganbear, and got our overpayment back, one good thing about councils is they like to balance the books, god bless 'em.

Who do we need to notify of change of address? :unsure:

Passport office, DVLA??? :confused: Im not sure?

The basic ones for me would be any utilities for the house, so gas, electric, council tax, water rates, TV licence, house and car insurance and the like.

Also phone/internet/digital TV if you have it.

Bank/building society, they will forward on post to Aus if you keep an account open, just ensure you switch to online statements or paper statements once or twice a year.

Let your GP know you will no longer be resident in the UK also.

Tax office. If/when you sell your car ensure you fill out the DVLA change of ownership form and send it off.

If you shop online or have mail order catalogues like Next you need to notify them also.

With regards to your DL you are supposed to tell them you are moving overseas. But they won't change the address to an overseas one. I'd be inclined to either leave it at the address you are at currently or change it to a parents address if you really want to. But don't forget the photo card needs renewing every 10 years otherwise it becomes invalid. And to do that you need a current UK address to be resident at.... untimately if you are going to be living in Aus long term I'd let the UK licence lapse and only renew it if you return to the UK.