IELTS tomorrow. Any last minute words of wisdom?

robbothejoiner

Hey mate - pay close attention in the first test, which is the listening...don't lose concentration for even a moment! Once you've got that out of your hair and you're confident you caught the answers, you'll be charged up to get the rest of the day over with!

Good luck! :)

Dont be nervous man, get composed and listen, listen, listen!

Think about each part of the sentence or article, simplify it in your own head and you will be grand!

This test is designed to weed out people with bad english language ability! If you are a native english speaker, take your time and you will be fine!

Good luck!

Got my IELTS tomorrow. Can't say that I am, in any way what so ever excited about the prospect. Any last minute advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey

I would agree with Dani251. Really conecentrate on the listening test.. The first time I did the IELTS, my mind started to wonder, thinking about surfing in Oz etc... It cost me the half a point I needed to get 8 or more in all 4 categories! Didn't make the same mistake the second time!

The other thing I would suggest is that you are strict on your time keeping, especially for the written exam. If there is an hour allocated for 2 questions, 20 & 40 marks respectively, then only spend 20-25 min on the first question...

Good luck

martin

Guest AndyH78

Judging from your written posts you won't have any problem at all. If English is your first language, then as long you don't swicth off listening, it realy is very very easy.

Guest guest59652

Goochie all the best - here are some very quick tips:

Listening: be very focussed - you only get to hear stuff once. Make sure that you highlight key points and have a quick read through the question - i.e. where the blanks are - in what context are they talking about. It is the first section and you will probably be quite nervous at this point. Concentrate and its fairly predictable what they going to talk about.

Reading: plenty of time for this. Highlight the text and read it through carefully. The sections start easy but by the end the passage can be a little tricky. For a non-native English speaker I imagine this section would be the hardest. Plenty of time for this and you can re-read to your hearts content.

Writing: make sure your sentence structure is good and you have brushed up on punctuation/grammer etc. Keep sentence structures simple. Be concise and don't go majorly over recommended word counts.

Speaking: if English is first language - then I can't see how anybody who has spoken it their whole life should not get band 9 i.e. fluent.

Best wishes - and stay calm.

Guest guest59652

Goochie I think you have to stay in until the end of the exam. Nobody left early - i used all of the time. I did the test in Adelaide, the examiners were strict, gave clear instructions at the start. They really were little Hitlers!

Guest guest59652

Great tips on here - time keeping and concentration. As a native speaker its more about mastering the exam format - getting bands 7/8+ should be a formality.

I have degrees, a levels, done research. I treated it with ultimate respect - I thought its probably how a premier league team should treat league 1 opposition - be professional, prepare and it should take care of itself. Or if you don't you will know how Arsenal felt all those years ago against Wrexham!

Guest guest59652

you can take notes - but to be honest you dont have a lot of time and the info comes out quite fast. my best advice would be read the passage and put the gaps into a rough context. you may have an idea what they are getting out. sometimes the word in the gaps simply fits - you will see. where u taking the test?

Guest guest59652

Robbo - don't get too worried - worst case its not a pass/fail so don't feel too bad whatever result you achieve. And plenty of people on here have taken it here more than once. Fingers crossed for you.

Guest guest59652

Not sure if you can use pencil or pen - can't remember - I remember the instructions were very clear. Additionally you can always ask the dragons, ....sorry the invigilators.

You were right the first time! Dragons it was! lol. Went not too badly! Fingers crossed, and thanks everyone!

10am start,

Listening first - Topic was shopping for barbacues then travel agents for holiday.

Reading next - Extract info from box adverts and secondly from short story on psychology of sheep.

Writing followed - A complaint letter to public transport company (no addresses required and 150 words) and then a report on whether science should be compulsory at school level. Show both sides and give your own views. (250 words)

Note: There is no breaks between the first three tests. Raise your hand for toilet etc. Strictly no speking.

1:30

Break time until called for speaking section.

You will be informed of your time on notice board outside hall.

Alphabetically I regret to inform you. I was stone last at 4pm, having the surname Young. As usual. lol

Fortunately I took my van and live 20 minutes away.

Listening was a one to one. Recorded on a dictaphone. Intro is short and friendly. Where am I from?

Then, what is "Glasgow" like to live in? A couple of minutes. Then asked. What do you think of "noise"? Then asked, what is your favourite noise? another couple of minutes on both. Then asked what I thought about advertising on TV. Is it too much/should it be regulated by the government! And finally on TV. Which TV program do you watch that has taught you something? You have a couple of minute prep time for that, last question. Totalled about 17 minutes.