Did you close your UK bank accounts?

cartertucker

We have kept two UK bank accounts, one with Natwest and the other with Barclay's.

We still use Natwest for direct debits and it is handy to transfer money to when visiting the Uk.

Barclay's was quite happy that we are not residents in the UK and we get the bank statements here in Aus.

Natwest wasn't that flexible about it, and so they have my in-laws Uk address for that account.

we are keeping our internet First Direct Account open, we are only in oz initially for 7month due to my sister getting married in aug AND we need the account as I'll still be getting some of my salary paid into it

TBH i hadnt thought about telling them where i was going, its internet based and if i need new cards etc i'll get them to send them to my mam's

Yup keep it if poss. We kept our nationwide one open when we were in Oz, we did everything on-line anyway.

We also still have our Westpac one now we are in UK.

Both banks sent new cards etc via the post to the other side of the world, we have had no issues either way.

Just talk to your bank and explain, if they make it awkward move the account!!

If you can sign a fax indemnity form so you can fax instructions for things that cannot be done on-line(quicker and cheaper than post). They didn't used to accept e-mailed letters but they might now. Even solicitors now accept these.

Thanks everyone :wink: I have now rang my bank & they said I can keep it open ~ Gotta go into branch & give them the info

The reason I thought I couldnt have it open, is that I rang another bank to transfer some money to a different account, told them & they said they couldnt do it, as I needed to be a UK resident to have the account :wideeyed:

Caretucker.,., I have to laugh,.., `back in the old days` i remember your posts in the `migration issues` with the sept 27th changes, priority timelines, cat 2,3,4. SMP? .,., and now here both we are in the `money & finance` section....

I`m gonna keep mine open.,., And keep it fairly heavy with £`s.,., as best I can until the exchange rate alters more favourably.,., suppose it all depends on the job frontage.,.,., which is another section i may see you in.,., ha.

Not long.,., so.,., GOODLUCK!!!