Did you close your UK bank accounts?

cartertucker

You need to check the terms and conditions of your account. Some banks (Natwest) let you keep the account open but you wont have an overdraft or credit facility - you just have to provide a new address.

There may be tax issues as a non-UK resident which may also make it problematic.

Sort of related, but how do you shut down one from overseas? I've had one open for 7 years, seriously doubt I'll need it again and haven't a clue what the account number was. I'd just like to ditch it to simplify my life but don't have a clue how to get it shut down.

Im unsure if I should close my Uk bank account? :unsure:

If you do decide to close it, make sure all final bills have been paid before you do. Our phone and broadband final bills will be direct debited from my account about 2 weeks after the date of closure so I'm keeping the account open until all of these have gone.

I spoke to my bank (HSBC) about how to close accounts from abroad and they just asked me to write a signed letter to the branch with the request.

I have a standrd account that has a magazine subscription coming out of it, plus an ISA with about 400 quid in it. I'll try writing to natwest and asking them to transfer the ISA to the main account in case it's gone overdrawn through the subscription, then shut it down.

I've still got both my Smile & Nationwide accounts going - use the Smile one more as my rent goes in there and I use my Smile Visa card to pay lots of bills here.

I have quite a bit of cash in Nationwide ISA's too which is quite difficult to get my hands on. I have to send them the passbooks and a letter. The Smile account is completely on line.

Guest SupportPants

I've got about 6 Uk accounts which I've transferred out of once the 'high' interest offer ran out. To OP definitely keep one - you may need it for shopping online from the UK.

I kept mine and I am very glad that I did now that I am back home!!! I used it for a couple of direct debits and the occasional online shopping expedition plus every year when I came home for a visit it was so much less hassle to transfer money from my Aus account to see me through my holiday and I could use my visa debit card in UK.

kept mine open with hsbc - useful for any payments that need to be made over there. changed to internet statements, but gave them the new address over here which they use for sending cards etc.

just be aware though that any interest you get over there is supposed to be declared here on the tax return

Ed

kept mine open with hsbc - useful for any payments that need to be made over there. changed to internet statements, but gave them the new address over here which they use for sending cards etc.

just be aware though that any interest you get over there is supposed to be declared here on the tax return

Ed

Thats interesting ~ HSBC dont mind you being a non Uk resident then

I kept mine and I am very glad that I did now that I am back home!!! I used it for a couple of direct debits and the occasional online shopping expedition plus every year when I came home for a visit it was so much less hassle to transfer money from my Aus account to see me through my holiday and I could use my visa debit card in UK.

Thats a good point Quoll, thankyou ~ It would also make visits back to the Uk easier :wink:

no - they don't seem to mind. lost my overdraft facility though! I would also recommend to setup a HSBC bank account here from the UK before you leave. I filled out a form, took it to the local branch with my passport and it was all done. Was supposed to cost 50 pounds if you're not a premier customer but they never charged me for some reason!

good luck with the move

Ed

Why do you think you cannot have a Uk bank account if you are not resident? Of course you can. When I worked in a bank we sent statements abroad no problems.

I use my account to buy things online from the UK as some Aussie banks - notably ANZ, charge you a fee for foreign processing.

For birthday/Christmas presents my dad justs puts money into our accounts as buying something and sending it to Oz would cost a fortune. We mostly get PS3 games/books and buy as necessary and is really handy

Fortunately HSBC stopped paying credit interest on current accounts when we left so we don't earn any foreign income - not that it would be much as there is not a lot in the account!