You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

jennlx

When do we start getting shipping quotes?

Hi there, we've booked our flights for 5th March and are wondering when to start getting shipping quotes. We called John Mason, who said their quotes are only valid for three months so to ring them again at the beginning of December but it would be really nice to have some idea of costs sooner rather than later (so we can save!).

Also, we are buying some bits of pieces of furniture now for our children. Pretty cheap stuff, but will we need to declare this when we ship it? Will we get charged for it in Oz?

As always, thanks for any advice!!! :wubclub:

Hi there,

We phones around and found that the best price was Pickford's. When we got the things back there was a mirror broken, a scratch on the car and the car tyre was punchered (quite bad). They did pay for it though quite quick. So still the damage, but it was resolved quite quick.

As far as we know you will not have to pay for the bits when you get here as you brought them in the UK and therefore already paid tax (gst) on them.

Family of five now with our one son living in the UK

If you've owned items for 12 months or more then you're fine. If you've got stuff that's a bit newer then you might be ok with it - just make sure it's not obviously brand new and most people seem to be fine.

I started getting quotes back in May and our stuff was packed and moved over the last couple of days. I was also told by Doree Bonner (who we went with) that their price was subject to vary depending on the cost of the container which they could only book 10 days in advance!

(They didn't include that bit of info in the sales spiel!!!)

Luckily it was actually still the same price, well it would have been if husband hadn't decided to air-freight over his guitar amps instead of waiting for them in the container...

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

Hello, we are also flying out on the 5th March :biggrin: and we have had 6 companies around in the last week. They are said that this is about the time to be looking into quotes so my advice would be to start now. Where you headed to and who you flying with? We might be on the same flight!

Subclass 100 visa granted 12th Sept 2011. Emigrated to Melbourne 5th March 2012.

Hi Jennlx

We fly the 8th March and we have Pickfords and Johm Mason coming round at the end of November for shipping towards the end of Jan. Neither mentioned anything about quotes lasting three months and they advised we should be getting quotes November time.

Hope that helps

Ooooh, glad I asked and didn't wait! We'll try and get some quotes for November booked in. I thought it was a bit strange as other peeps here seemed to be getting quotes fairly early. JM also advised that their fees were going up on 1st March. Thanks all!

Purpledonna - we're on the Singapore airlines nightflight on 5th March (can't remember exact time) - I will be the one with a newborn and 2 year old toddler so you may not want to sit too closely, haha! Do you know where you're going to settle on landing?

Ah, we are flying out with Singapore in the afternoon. We are staying with the in-laws *groan* in Melbourne until we get jobs and then we can set up somewhere ourselves near the city.

What about you?

Subclass 100 visa granted 12th Sept 2011. Emigrated to Melbourne 5th March 2012.

Oooh, lucky, free accommodation!! Wish I could get me some of that! :biggrin:

Guest sarahinnz

We moved to NZ from the UK 6 years ago and used PSS, they were great, very practical and nothing was lost or broke, we are now looking to move to OZ in the new year and will be looking at using them again.