Perth cost of living

Guest chrisphysio

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I Buy everthing at Coles,Woolies and IGA, I shop for the specials and stock up when things are half price or a really good deal, I buy all my meat at Coles no probs and even found the most wonderful sausages from there. I have a spudshed about 20-25 min away CBA driving there for the rat race and what I would pay in petrol just about covers the difference, I have Coles,Woolies and IGA all 2min if that from my house and all within a stroll of each other.

I get my bread for $1 at coles and milk for $2 for 2 litres.

I hate the thought of having to run around to get good prices I am happy with the prices I get at the big supermarkets, although I do admire people who shop around really well but as to if they are saving alot I don't know.

Its all good, you manage and live within your means (well most people do)

Laney x

I have and obession with stocking up though lol, OH wants to know why we need to have 8 shower Gels in the bathroom, they were half price a few times and just keep buying them.

Another thing that gets me is why people buy the smallest box of tea bags (unless you don't drink much of course) the silly 50bag ones, I always get the 200 bag when they are on a really good special and they last and can save you lots , or maybe I just need to cut down my tea intake.

Laney x

Guest TCASAlert

The other thing to remember is that the average salary in Oz is somewhere between $50k and $60k depending on area, so there must be a really high proportion of people living on the breadline if you need the sorts of money some people are quoting just to get by!

The other thing to remember is that the average salary in Oz is somewhere between $50k and $60k depending on area, so there must be a really high proportion of people living on the breadline if you need the sorts of money some people are quoting just to get by!

While I can't comment on Perth here in Darwin and in Sydney people are living on the bread-line.You only have to pick up a newspaper or watch a current affairs program and you will see people are struggling,just like anywhere else in the world.House repossesions are going up and more and more people are relying on Centerlink payments just to get by.

Guest chrisphysio

OK, thanks everyone for getting back with the info so I'll check out sites as you say.

House pricese here in Dublin have taken a real hammering since the 'Celtic Tiger' but they went a ridiculous price anyway prior to the crash.

You hear stories about couples moving back because 1 doesn't have a job and it's just so expensive but there's always chat like that.

Starting to get a bit colder too so could make that trip over a bit earlier than expected...

Cheers

Chris

Chris - can you tell me why so many physiotherapists (well in Ireland anyway it would seem) have gone to Australia for work/study at some point in their career? Is it like the physiotherapy capital of the world? I have seen a few lately and researched one or two clinics and it is something that has struck me!!

The cost of living in Dublin is silly so I cant imagine it will be much worse. Remember the cost of living in the UK is way lower than in Ireland so UK folk are bound to find it more expensive in Australia! If you are into sport then you should love it there, but would Melbourne and all its sporting events not excite you more???

We were looking at the cost of food and to be honest it isn't much different to here, a lot of stuff looks cheaper. Take a look at Coles and Aldi website (http://www.smartershopping.com.au). Booze seems more expensive, but you just brew your own instead. If things are more expensive, you just don't buy them or grow your own. Having said all of this a lot of people claim they wouldn't get by on less than $800 a month for groceries, but we manage on lot less than this a month here (£250 a month for a family of 3 + dog). People say you wouldn't live on £250 a month here but its not difficult! You just have to shop around, and we won't suddenly stop shopping around just because we happen to be living in a different country.

Petrol seems (a lot) cheaper, take a look at motormouth.com.au for petrol prices across Oz.

I have heard eating out is more expensive, but we never eat out (bar the occasional McDs) so that doesn't bother us. Somebody recently said a Big Mac meal is around $6.50/£3.00 in Australia apparently, compared to £5.00 in the UK so that is cheaper for example.

You need to convert at the rate of 2.2 as others have said - it suddenly stops looking as scary when you use the correct rate. Sure your salary looks less but then everything else is a lot cheaper as well, often cheaper than in the UK.

why are you converting everything at 2.2.....? the exchange rates 1.5 if your lucky.. it will be this for a very very long time, so if you get 2.2 when you exchange your money let me know where you did it and i'll have some of that as well :huh:

why are you converting everything at 2.2.....? the exchange rates 1.5 if your lucky.. it will be this for a very very long time, so if you get 2.2 when you exchange your money let me know where you did it and i'll have some of that as well :huh:

Ah now I see why you think cost of living is so much more expensive. You are mixing up a drop in the strength of the pound with cost of living in Australia.

Using the exchange rate to compare cost of living is totally inaccurate.

For example, if the Pound collapses tomorrow does the cost of living get dearer tomorrow in Perth. No. The exchange with another country could go the other way on the same day. Would that mean Perth got dearer and cheaper on the same day.

The true comparison is dividing the price of something into the average wage.

So if a TV cost 5% of average salary in one country and 4% of the average salary of another country then you have a basis for comparison.

Someone worked out a while ago that the difference in average wages between oz/uk is roughly 2.2 so this is a more accurate figure to use when comparing cost of living for people earning local wages.

This also means you should aim to get a salary 2.2 times your uk salary. Of course this is all averages and different professions, small city to big city etc etc skew the figures.

one of the companies that might be able to sponsor dave for working on the powerlines is offering employees at least 60k, do you think that would be liveable? it doesnt sound very much. i plan on working too but i'll probably be on minimum wage unless i train as something else

That is quite a low salary to offer someone who is experienced but I don't know the norm for that job.

With your salary you would be ok but so hard to say as many do with less, some a lot less, and really depends on lifestyle. Biggest issue would be servicing a mgte if you wanted to buy eventually and don't have much equity...just have to start small and work up.

one of the companies that might be able to sponsor dave for working on the powerlines is offering employees at least 60k, do you think that would be liveable? it doesnt sound very much. i plan on working too but i'll probably be on minimum wage unless i train as something else

No, that isn't a good salary at all and IMO you would struggle. Particularly as temporary visa holders don't get any centrelink assistance.

Cheers, i thought that too. There was a advert in the paper so he rang up and they've sent out a few forms for him to fill in and we're going to speak to them at the expo. I dont think he has enough experience to be sponsored because he hasnt worked on the powerlines for a a few years now but i'll see if they tell him that first. At the moment he works as a machine operator and the wages for that seem to range from 80k to 100k, 100k is for working FIFO i think. Ideally this is what he wants to continue doing in oz but need to find a sponsor! I'm so impatient, just want the ball to start rolling so i can make plans for next year

Guest guest17301

Its not too bad Stacy, I was on around that when we arrived and we coped on my wages for 6 months. I did earn a bit more with unsocial hours payments etc. If its just the 2 of you I think it will do, plus like you say you will be working. Most jobs offer more than minimum wage...which incidentally is around $15 an hour I think...what do you do?

Guest guest17301

Its just an example......it accurately reflects what you need as a 4 person household with a mortgage on a 4 x 2, running 2 cars and having one or two luxuries. It reflects our situation.

If you're a couple, no kids, 1 car, renting a 2 bed unit...clearly youre going to get by on much less....Id be looking for at least $60k to get by as a family, less if youre a couple.

Dont forget once you get here as long as one of you has work lined up, the other one can top up the income once they find a job. Its really not that scary ;)

Well said Fiona and as I have said before me and my hubby survived on less than 60k till last year as I chose to stay at home after my son was born I did work nights when my daughter was small. Although we did rent, and had 2 cars had foxtel and still managed to return back to Ireland in 2007 and 2009 and go down south every year to Busselton, we are happy with doing free things around the city and seeing friends and family having BBq's and drinks at home or someones house, so I guess that helps with spending. We now have a mortgage and earn alot more and to be honest I think the more you earn the more you spend. You will be right Stacey, it will all work out

Laney xxx

Ps I do work 3 days a week now, and Hubby work long hours and Saturday for us to receive that better income...

Its not too bad Stacy, I was on around that when we arrived and we coped on my wages for 6 months. I did earn a bit more with unsocial hours payments etc. If its just the 2 of you I think it will do, plus like you say you will be working. Most jobs offer more than minimum wage...which incidentally is around $15 an hour I think...what do you do?

I cant even find where i got 60k from, its not on the advert, Maybe i've got it mixed up with another advert :wideeyed: silly me. Its interesting to find out if its possible to live on that anyway. Most of my jobs have been working with animals, in a vets but mostly just working in kennels. I've worked in retail too. I fancy doing something completely different in oz but not sure what. I suppose theres no point worrying untill he actually has a job offer from someone!

I'm a bit worried as jobs for me I've seen are between $60 and 80k and we are a family of 5 !:frown:

Hopefully the OH can restart the cake business out there but we don't know how fruitful it will be :rolleyes:

send your kids out on a paperround lol :biggrin:

dont worry im sure you'll be okay, i'll buy her cakes!!

Do you look on SEEK? What does your OH do...I know youve said but I forgot...are you hoping to come on a temp or perm visa?

Hes a excavator/plant operator so his main chance of coming over is to be sponsored by a mining company, the wages for that look good around 100k or maybe a bit less. but obviously thats working funny shifts, away for weeks at a time. I'd rather he worked a normal monday -friday or saturday job but mining is probably our only option for the visa. Hopefully we would be looking for PR but i'd still come on a temp one, we're not looking at it as a forever thing, just want to try it out for a few years, if we want to stay then great but if not then i'll come back to scotland