Perth cost of living

Guest chrisphysio

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We dont even have a visa yet or anything but thats the main thing im worried about, that we wont be able to afford things. although id definitely rather be over there slightly skint than be here. Not planning on being a millionaire or anything but it would be nice to earn a bit more than here

We dont even have a visa yet or anything but thats the main thing im worried about, that we wont be able to afford things. although id definitely rather be over there slightly skint than be here. Not planning on being a millionaire or anything but it would be nice to earn a bit more than here

you will earn more here than the uk but that gets soaked up straight away by the higher prices,the only 2 things here which are cheaper than the uk are petrol and rail fares, everything else is dearer . on the other hand its a great country to live in.....

Yeah. just have to see how it goes and if we get a visa. I really want to go tho, i think dave would be earning at least 80k on the excavator operators plus id be working somewhere so hopefully we would be ok! got so many other great things there like the weather, beaches and free stuff like parks and bbqs

I dont find things that cheap here, our weekly shop seems to be more expensive every week and gas bills higher etc. Not looking to be a millionaire in oz but as long as we could cover the bills and maybe have a bit extra to go out for dinner etc then we'd be more than happy, anything extra is a big bonus. tbh the main worry i have is rent, i noticed the rent seems to be high, our last house was only £450 a month but then again i guess the wages are higher in oz so things dont seem as bad. I'm sure we wont starve! lol

How are you comparing prices Paul?

just the price of things compared to London, yes we do earn a little bit more here but things in general are still more expensive than the uk.. just trying to put a realistic view about the high cost of living in Wa, im sure perth is now one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world :hug:

just the price of things compared to London, yes we do earn a little bit more here but things in general are still more expensive than the uk.. just trying to put a realistic view about the high cost of living in Wa, im sure perth is now one of the most expensive cities to live in in the world :hug:

Sure, and people appreciate it. Just thought I would point out, in case you don't know, that simply comparing with London, for example, by using the current exchange rate is not an accurate cost of living comparison for people earning local currencies and would lead to inaccurate conclusions about what is dearer and cheaper cost of living wise.

Im sure we'll be fine, everyone else seems to manage it. Really we're doing it for the adventure not to live in a mansion with a big pool. As long as we stick to a budget im sure we'll be okay.

No point worrying too much till we even find a sponsor and have our visa!

You've really got your head screwed on Stacey :wubclub: My father in law constantly complained about the price of tomatoes here ... it didn't stop him eating them when I bought them. We've been here almost 5 years and yes the cost of living has risen, but i'm sure had we stayed in the UK i'd be complaining that the cost of heating had gone up as well at the water rates and the TV licence. At the end of the day it really is all relative to the money your earning and how you spend it, whilst expensive, Perth isn't unaffordable for the average family (we're proof of that and i'm sure Fiona would tell you the same).

Its unbelievable now how expensive everything is here and it all seems to go up by the week..I always used to think of Rip off Britain being the worst, but this place my God, ripped off for everything...and the Government here has to be the worst, taxes on taxes, stamp duties, fees, they even charge you to visit a national park...I paid $ 40 the other day for a prescription nasal spray...$ 40, where else in the worl would you pay that...I feel very sorry for people over here with families it must be an horrific struggle financially..

Exactly! our last house was a nightmare to heat in winter, the gas was up to a fortune and it just felt like as soon as we heat the house it was going back out again. spoke to the landlord about insulation but he didnt care. So do you not pay water rates and tv licence over there? thats quite good. We dont have any kids so at least its just us that we need to feed, makes it slightly easier lol. I'm looking foward to the weather, wildlife and different activities that i cant do over here. If we decide to come home after a few years then thats fine but i dont see much to stay for here except family

Its unbelievable now how expensive everything is here and it all seems to go up by the week..I always used to think of Rip off Britain being the worst, but this place my God, ripped off for everything...and the Government here has to be the worst, taxes on taxes, stamp duties, fees, they even charge you to visit a national park...I paid $ 40 the other day for a prescription nasal spray...$ 40, where else in the worl would you pay that...I feel very sorry for people over here with families it must be an horrific struggle financially..

someone already told you theres ways to get the nosespray cheaper. why dont you move to another state or move back to the uk?

Exactly! our last house was a nightmare to heat in winter, the gas was up to a fortune and it just felt like as soon as we heat the house it was going back out again. spoke to the landlord about insulation but he didnt care. So do you not pay water rates and tv licence over there? thats quite good. We dont have any kids so at least its just us that we need to feed, makes it slightly easier lol. I'm looking foward to the weather, wildlife and different activities that i cant do over here. If we decide to come home after a few years then thats fine but i dont see much to stay for here except family

Yes water rates, gas and electricity ... no TV licence, TV not that good to be honest but I don't watch very much of it anyway. I think you'll love it here and if you don't it will have been an adventure. We didn't have any misconceptions, knew there'd just be the four of us, that we'd both have to work hard to re-establish ourselves and that it would take time to make 'real' friends. We've never once regreted our move.

Is it none PBS - I only pay $18 for a months supply of medication

I really like to hear stories from people who love it. My cousin moved to oz 7 years ago with his girlfriend, he worked for ford the car company and was offered a job in melbourne, he moved really quickly and took his gf even tho they hadnt been going out long, i dont think they'd even been on holiday together. They took such a big risk but its definitely paid off, they have citizenship now, bought a lovely house and have a little boy. I dont think they'll ever move back.

I think we'll like it too, its just scary and im a natural worrier lol. but as i keep saying we have nothing to lose, no kids, dont own a house and we're young so nows the time to do it

It's funny when people complain about vegetables and fruit, i know it must be a pain if you really enjoy them but just buy them as a treat. Im glad i dont like bananas and i only use lemons for my cocktails ;)

one thing i can say about oz is that its more expensive than the the uk but its a small price to pay to live in such a wonderful country...... all glasses raised to captain cook.. :Randy-git: