WA electricians license help!!!!!

Guest robwa

ive searched and searched for this but cannot find any definitive answers im pulling my hair out:arghh::arghh:

I am an irish sparks and have a 176 visa with my wife and 2 kids. I got an OTSR with vic uni as part of my application. I am looking to apply for my grade A WA license but I've heard I can only do this whilst im in Australia, but Im not sure

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.:wideeyed:

ive searched and searched for this but cannot find any definitive answers im pulling my hair out:arghh::arghh:

I am an irish sparks and have a 176 visa with my wife and 2 kids. I got an OTSR with vic uni as part of my application. I am looking to apply for my grade A WA license but I've heard I can only do this whilst im in Australia, but Im not sure

Hi Robwa, U Can Only Apply For The Licence In W.A ,You Missed A Good seminar Last Week For Electricians, If You Get In Touch With skillshortagesolutions There In Cork And Will Tell You What You Need To Know ,Hope this helps :biggrin:

hi wendyd, what was the seminar about was it useful? I checked out that company and they charge €440 + $300 AUD to apply for the license, can i not just apply for the license myself and save myself €440 or am i missing something ?:confused:

Hi Robwa,

My husband is also an electrician, from the UK, and we've just arrived in Perth a few weeks ago.

I can't remember exactly the sequence of events that he had to follow, but it went something like this.

Firstly: EnergySafety/EnergyLicencsing seem to be the big guns in WA. You need to register with them first. I think this cost $38 and my hubby did this from the UK and paid on his credit card. (you will need to scan various copies of ID/OTSR cert etc)

Once registered with this crowd, you will receive a letter from them stating that you have done so.

Secondly: You will have to do a college course on arrival in WA in order to get your A licence. CET (College of Electrical Training) is who my husband used as they had a couple campuses to choose from and also a few different course date options. It was a full-time, 2 week course and we arranged that he'd start the course a few days after arrival in WA and get it done and dusted.

Jason (the husband) got his registration letter from Energy Licencing, then forwarded the letter along a few other things (OTSR cert/ID etc etc) and payment to the college and booked his spot...all from the UK.

An important note: We are also on a 176 permanent residency visa. On the college course application form, it shows 2 prices: $860 inelligible for public funding OR $160 elligible for public funding. YOU ARE ELLIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC FUNDING AND WILL WILL PAY THE SUBSIDISED FEE!!! You will, however, still need to pay for the course books which is a few more hundred $$ and you will also need to have safety boots with you for the course. The course you are looking for, as a general electrician, is ETL -> Electrical Trade Licence

I've copied and pasted a reply from someone at energy Safety who replied to Jason, so you will have a contact address/phone number.

Hi Jason,

You can still apply for an Electricians Licence while still residing in the UK. We will accept your proof of identification as long as it makes up the 100 points provided on the Fact Sheet including with the application.

Once we have received your application, we will send you the approval letter to undertake the ETL course and we can send the approval letter to your UK address, you just have to be in Australia to undertake the course and to be issued the Electricians Licence.

Kind regards,

Cynthia Claude

A/Customer Service Officer

Department of Commerce, Energy Safety WA

303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington, WA 6107

PO Box 135, Cannington, WA 6987

Ph: (08) 9422 5282, Fx: (08) 9422 5222

email: cynthia.claude@commerce.wa.gov.au

General enquiries: energylicensing@commerce.wa.gov.au

Also note: We kept seeing things about TRA. You do not need TRA if you have OTSR!

I think I have some of the application forms saved (somewhere) if you'd like me to email them to you. Please send me an email address if so.

I hope this has helped a bit - if you can make sense of it! The best place to start is with Energy Safety, as you have to be registered with them before you can attend any ETL course in WA.

Another fee my hubby had to pay was approx $350 after completing the course, for the 5 year registration fee to Energy Safety. It's a costly business, let me warn you! :wacko:

Good luck!

From Catherine

Hi Robwa,

My husband is also an electrician, from the UK, and we've just arrived in Perth a few weeks ago.

I can't remember exactly the sequence of events that he had to follow, but it went something like this.

Firstly: EnergySafety/EnergyLicencsing seem to be the big guns in WA. You need to register with them first. I think this cost $38 and my hubby did this from the UK and paid on his credit card. (you will need to scan various copies of ID/OTSR cert etc)

Once registered with this crowd, you will receive a letter from them stating that you have done so.

Secondly: You will have to do a college course on arrival in WA in order to get your A licence. CET (College of Electrical Training) is who my husband used as they had a couple campuses to choose from and also a few different course date options. It was a full-time, 2 week course and we arranged that he'd start the course a few days after arrival in WA and get it done and dusted.

Jason (the husband) got his registration letter from Energy Licencing, then forwarded the letter along a few other things (OTSR cert/ID etc etc) and payment to the college and booked his spot...all from the UK.

An important note: We are also on a 176 permanent residency visa. On the college course application form, it shows 2 prices: $860 inelligible for public funding OR $160 elligible for public funding. YOU ARE ELLIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC FUNDING AND WILL WILL PAY THE SUBSIDISED FEE!!! You will, however, still need to pay for the course books which is a few more hundred $$ and you will also need to have safety boots with you for the course. The course you are looking for, as a general electrician, is ETL -> Electrical Trade Licence

I've copied and pasted a reply from someone at energy Safety who replied to Jason, so you will have a contact address/phone number.

Hi Jason,

You can still apply for an Electricians Licence while still residing in the UK. We will accept your proof of identification as long as it makes up the 100 points provided on the Fact Sheet including with the application.

Once we have received your application, we will send you the approval letter to undertake the ETL course and we can send the approval letter to your UK address, you just have to be in Australia to undertake the course and to be issued the Electricians Licence.

Kind regards,

Cynthia Claude

A/Customer Service Officer

Department of Commerce, Energy Safety WA

303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington, WA 6107

PO Box 135, Cannington, WA 6987

Ph: (08) 9422 5282, Fx: (08) 9422 5222

email: cynthia.claude@commerce.wa.gov.au

General enquiries: energylicensing@commerce.wa.gov.au

Also note: We kept seeing things about TRA. You do not need TRA if you have OTSR!

I think I have some of the application forms saved (somewhere) if you'd like me to email them to you. Please send me an email address if so.

I hope this has helped a bit - if you can make sense of it! The best place to start is with Energy Safety, as you have to be registered with them before you can attend any ETL course in WA.

Another fee my hubby had to pay was approx $350 after completing the course, for the 5 year registration fee to Energy Safety. It's a costly business, let me warn you! :wacko:

Good luck!

From Catherine

Hi Catherine,

It appears that energy safety have recently changed the rules with the ETL course.

Seemingly, they now require all overseas sparks to undertake on the job gap training in order to gain a WA a grade licence.

Regards Derren

Hi Catherine,

It appears that energy safety have recently changed the rules with the ETL course.

Seemingly, they now require all overseas sparks to undertake on the job gap training in order to gain a WA a grade licence.

Regards Derren

hi Derren,

If this change is now in place, it must be VERY recent?? My husband just arrived in WA on 27th Aug and did the 2 week course around 6th September? Apologies if I've given the wrong info :unsure: Seems like we might have just timed it right.

thanks.

Cx

hi Derren,

If this change is now in place, it must be VERY recent?? My husband just arrived in WA on 27th Aug and did the 2 week course around 6th September? Apologies if I've given the wrong info :unsure: Seems like we might have just timed it right.

thanks.

Cx

Hi Catherine,

Yeah, the changes have been made very recently. I'm hearing quite a bit of feedback about this. You have timed it just right. Here are some links on said feedback.

LINK1

LINK2

Kind Regards Derren

looks like there's gap training for both otsr and artc :mad:

i hope there's companies willing to take us "unqualified" sparks on

Im in shock, can't believe we get this far then another spanner in the works, I thought they were stuck for tradies ??:confused::confused::confused::confused:

*Rant over*