What are my options?

Proview220

He can get a working holiday visa with the intention of having a working holiday. This is valid for a period of 1 year with the chance to extend to 2 if he is prepared to do some fruit picking in a rural area..

Your daugter can go down the defacto partner route but they would have to prove that they have lived together for more than 12 months in a genuine and continuing relationship at the time of applying for the visa. I'm not sure if you are eligible for this visa before you turn 18. There are all sorts of exceptions to this too so I suggest you look into it with a qualified migration agent.

18 is a bit young to do the whole serious relationship thing isnt it ? Maybe if he comes out on a working holiday and goes back home for a bit after will show his commitment to her. There is also Marriage too !!

Yes it is if they want to come in as defacto partners.

You are really telling a RMA agent that he is wrong!!??

There is NO living requirement!!

"You and your partner must have been in a de facto relationship for the entire 12 months immediately prior to lodging your application." http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/309-100/eligibility-defacto.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Guest pigfrogs
Is a brave person who argues the facts with a registered migration agent...

Don't take this personally as it is not aimed at you but we had many mistakes made by rma on our visa a few years back and so have friends. Just because they are rma's doesn't mean they get it right all the time, and that includes the government offices too, who we have put right twice on my sons visa application recently.

Yes it is if they want to come in as defacto partners.

No it isn't.

How much do you want to lose?

The relevant criterion is to be (mutually) in a genuine, exclusive, continuing (partner) relationship for the 12 months preceding the visa application.

Consider the case where one (or both) parties are in hospital, or are guests of Her Majesty.

I have successfully represented de facto spouse applicants who had lived together for 6 weeks and had not seen each other for 18 months at the date of visa application. I would not recommend undertaking such a case DIY unless you are a RMA and then bear in mind the adage - anyone who represents himself has a fool for a client.

I recommend preparing cases as if you expect to be refused and will be applying for a review.

Don't take this personally as it is not aimed at you but we had many mistakes made by rma on our visa a few years back and so have friends. Just because they are rma's doesn't mean they get it right all the time, and that includes the government offices too, who we have put right twice on my sons visa application recently.

I've known people who haven't been too happy with the services they've received from RMA's.

Fine, but in this instance it is you that is wrong.:biggrin:

Lesson 2.

If an applicant can establish compelling and compassionate (not defined) circumstances there is a discretion for DIAC case officers to waive the 12 month relationship criterion.

As far as I am concerned there will be no Lesson 3.

Ooooo .. lesson 2, lesson 3 ....

Lessons I've learned in my life: lesson 1, chill, lesson 2, chill more, lesson 3, be the most chilled penguin on the iceberg .... and wear a nice pair of gigs ...

Certainly there are feathers ruffelled up here. Blunt responses only exacerbate the issue. Perhaps more humane and enticing responses would draw more interest?

How about 'in some cases I'd agree, however in this one I beg to differ', or 'without knowing the full facts I can only speculate'. I know you can't say 'pick me' but surely like every other trade in this world based on service delivery it's your kind tongue and willingness to help (to the point of having to charge) which delivers you the clients?

You know your shizzle, fair dues, if I knew what you knew (wish I did!), there's a fair chance one of the people in this thread would be a client now ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, shoot me if I'm off base ...

P

The membership of PIO are not RMA and do not pretend to be, they offer advice and support as best they know it. There are a number of agents with good reputations who post and have been helpful and offered advice in the past.

May I suggest that we stick to the OP

Cheers

What are my daughters boyfriends options of living with us in Australia, he is 18 and doing further education in "IT" will he be able to get any type of visa?

Proview

If he can prove ex-facto partnership then there's a route. Potential marriage visa is another.

A friend of mine moved down on a WHV, got himself a post which was prepared to sponsor him, but I admit he was a workaholic. He's now a citizen. This is an option.

Another option is to move his study to Aus, but I believe for a foreign student fees can be extortionate.

May have missed some, but these would be my first responses.

P

Ooooo .. lesson 2, lesson 3 ....

Lessons I've learned in my life: lesson 1, chill, lesson 2, chill more, lesson 3, be the most chilled penguin on the iceberg .... and wear a nice pair of gigs ...

Certainly there are feathers ruffelled up here. Blunt responses only exacerbate the issue. Perhaps more humane and enticing responses would draw more interest?

How about 'in some cases I'd agree, however in this one I beg to differ', or 'without knowing the full facts I can only speculate'. I know you can't say 'pick me' but surely like every other trade in this world based on service delivery it's your kind tongue and willingness to help (to the point of having to charge) which delivers you the clients?

You know your shizzle, fair dues, if I knew what you knew (wish I did!), there's a fair chance one of the people in this thread would be a client now ...

Forgive me if I'm wrong, shoot me if I'm off base ...

P

Almost all (98%+) my clients come from referrals.

I mostly manage the hard ones and refer the easy ones elsewhere. Some of them refuse to be dealt with elsewhere.

In this game anyone who thinks s/he knows it all is sadly deluded.

I post on PIO and other forums as part of my Continuing Professional Development and now and then I pick up some obscure fact I did not know.

I do know that much of what I have posted over the years is now worse than useless; the rules having changed.