You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

MARYROSE02

Why won't anyone talk to me about the things that really matter? Beach, beer, Beatles

Whenever I post about something that really matters to me, which I think about and do every day, like going to the beach, going to the pub, going for a coffee, life in Surry Hills, rock music, True Blood, Tottenham Hotspur, The Archers, nobody ever answers.

But talk about something completely irrelevant and pointless with no bearing on my life, like whether Australia should become a republic or - YAWN - Global Warming - and I could be on PIO 24X7!

I've just come back from a very pleasant three-hour session in the pub during which I discussed favourite TV programmes in UK & OZ, rugby league, favourite and long-departed pubs - with Sandy the barmaid, Chris the landlord and Matt, one of the other locals.

Life is strange I guess.

Guest guest59177
Whenever I post about something that really matters to me, which I think about and do every day, like going to the beach, going to the pub, going for a coffee, life in Surry Hills, rock music, True Blood, Tottenham Hotspur, The Archers, nobody ever answers.

But talk about something completely irrelevant and pointless with no bearing on my life, like whether Australia should become a republic or - YAWN - Global Warming - and I could be on PIO 24X7!

I've just come back from a very pleasant three-hour session in the pub during which I discussed favourite TV programmes in UK & OZ, rugby league, favourite and long-departed pubs - with Sandy the barmaid, Chris the landlord and Matt, one of the other locals.

Life is strange I guess.

Some great writer said something to the effect: 'If you write stories about real life, no one will read them. That's because real life is boring.' I think there might be something similar at play here...

Some great writer said something to the effect: 'If you write stories about real life, no one will read them. That's because real life is boring.' I think there might be something similar at play here...

Sounds a bit like 'Waiting for Godot?'

Thanks for the diagnosis but what about the cure?

Guest guest59177
Sounds a bit like 'Waiting for Godot?'

Thanks for the diagnosis but what about the cure?

If you could invent a cure you'd be probably win a nobel prize in literature for starting a new genre of literary writing that makes real life interesting :biggrin: OK, maybe I'm exaggerating but I honestly don't have a cure - IF my diagnosis is correct even...

If you could invent a cure you'd be probably win a nobel prize in literature for starting a new genre of literary writing that makes real life interesting :biggrin: OK, maybe I'm exaggerating but I honestly don't have a cure - IF my diagnosis is correct even...

I need a job, then I couldn'nt sit up past 3am listening to JJJ and frantically typing away. There's a character here, if only I could invent a couple more and get writing a novel.

I talk to you :wubclub: i just cant talk to you about music because i havent heard of a lot of the stuff you listen to, sorry!

I talk to you :wubclub: i just cant talk to you about music because i havent heard of a lot of the stuff you listen to, sorry!

What kind of music do you like then Stacey? I'm always open to listening to new artists. I try to listen to JJJ and FBI in Sydney which both play lots of new music from both Australia and overseas.

Sydney is inundated by 'classic rock' stations too, which play nothing but old stuff. This is good, up to a point, but also bad - and boring. They are relying on the 'alternative' stations to break the new ground. Even when a top artist has a new song out they won't play it.

I was in J & B Hi Fi the other day and they were playing some great music. I asked one of the young ladies (half expecting her to say, 'not for you sir, the old fogeys' music is over there.) but she showed me the CD. It was 'M83' a French band off their latest CD.

When I was in England I always depended upon the young blokes I worked with to keep me up to date.

One was on Facebook just the other day telling me to check out 'Pete & The Pirates!'

I had a GREAT chat down the pub last night with this Kiwi bloke who was well into old Pommie TV series - The Sweeney, Minder, - what is that one with Ian McShane where he played an antiques dealer? The Avengers (New & Old)

I don't talk about boring crap like global warming down the pub. Nobody is interested anyway but on PIO it seems I've got no choice!

I need a job, then I couldn'nt sit up past 3am listening to JJJ and frantically typing away. There's a character here, if only I could invent a couple more and get writing a novel.

Possibly you need a job but what you really seem to need (take this with a grain of salt as I know nothing about you) is a significant other/housemate/best bud. The things you often seem to add to PIO are the answers to the questions 'how was your day' or 'what did you get up to today'. The sort of stuff we normally inflict on nearest and dearest who are obliged to ask/listen/appear interested.

An on-line community like PIO is probably after something different. Something they aren't necessarily going to encounter in their day. Something more thought-provoking.

Just a thought...

Possibly you need a job but what you really seem to need (take this with a grain of salt as I know nothing about you) is a significant other/housemate/best bud. The things you often seem to add to PIO are the answers to the questions 'how was your day' or 'what did you get up to today'. The sort of stuff we normally inflict on nearest and dearest who are obliged to ask/listen/appear interested.

An on-line community like PIO is probably after something different. Something they aren't necessarily going to encounter in their day. Something more thought-provoking.

Just a thought...

Coo, you don't pull your punches do you? But I appreciate your 'punches' too. Who, after all, wants to be surrounded by sycophants AND I did ask the question.

You don't appear to offer much hope for me in a relationship either, judging by those words I've highlighted.

I knew already that, judging by the stats, the honeymoon does not last very long - I knew one bloke whose honeymoon did not outlast the church service - but I thought that if I DID find Ms Right, we would enjoy a few years of amicable friendship and growth.

More and more people are living in single person households too, so more and more 'losers' will be inflicting their sad lives on the likes of PIO.

It is nice to know that some people are at least prepared to PRETEND to - yawn - listen to my imaginary troubles!

Sorry MaryRose. That was actually me pulling my punches! I need to re-calibrate.

You're right - there are more and more single-person households who still need a sense of companionship and community. And if I'm not careful I may well soon be one of them!

What kind of music do you like then Stacey? I'm always open to listening to new artists. I try to listen to JJJ and FBI in Sydney which both play lots of new music from both Australia and overseas.

Sydney is inundated by 'classic rock' stations too, which play nothing but old stuff. This is good, up to a point, but also bad - and boring. They are relying on the 'alternative' stations to break the new ground. Even when a top artist has a new song out they won't play it.

I was in J & B Hi Fi the other day and they were playing some great music. I asked one of the young ladies (half expecting her to say, 'not for you sir, the old fogeys' music is over there.) but she showed me the CD. It was 'M83' a French band off their latest CD.

When I was in England I always depended upon the young blokes I worked with to keep me up to date.

One was on Facebook just the other day telling me to check out 'Pete & The Pirates!'

I had a GREAT chat down the pub last night with this Kiwi bloke who was well into old Pommie TV series - The Sweeney, Minder, - what is that one with Ian McShane where he played an antiques dealer? The Avengers (New & Old)

I don't talk about boring crap like global warming down the pub. Nobody is interested anyway but on PIO it seems I've got no choice!

Hello david, or do you prefer to be called dave?

I'll listen to most types of music. to be honest i dont listen to it as much anymore, im way behind with chart music lol dave will ask "do you like this song " and usually ive never heard of it before :wideeyed: even his little nephew is more upto date than me!

I've watched a few episodes of the sweeney, my dad LOVES it! if he hasnt already got it i might see if i can get a boxset for him for christmas. Well at least ive started watching true blood now so we can talk about that!

Hello david, or do you prefer to be called dave?

I'll listen to most types of music. to be honest i dont listen to it as much anymore, im way behind with chart music lol dave will ask "do you like this song " and usually ive never heard of it before :wideeyed: even his little nephew is more upto date than me!

I've watched a few episodes of the sweeney, my dad LOVES it! if he hasnt already got it i might see if i can get a boxset for him for christmas. Well at least ive started watching true blood now so we can talk about that!

I don't mind 'Dave' or 'David'. The Sweeney was one of my absolute favourite series, one of those I hated to miss. When it first started - 1975 I think, I was doing a typing class and rushed home to watch it. Monday nights I think.

True Blood and Game of Thrones have reached that kind of status with me this year.

There was a bloke swearing out in the street earlier today - really going for it! F**************************K! He was ENRAGED. Pacing up and down, roaring. I think he must be staying in the hotel over the road as I saw him a bit later abusing his wife with the same language. I nearly rang the police but figured the hotel would do that.

Strange what you see around here - on Cleveland St last week passed a little group of schoolkids by the bus stop and a couple of steps away under a tree, two syringes tossed down!

I thought that angry bloke was looking for his dealer to be honest but it was his wife he was angry with.

Time for the beach!

'Let's go surfing now, everybody's learning how, come on safari with me!' Actually, I'm far too scared to get up on a surf board!

I'll call you dave then. Poor wife, hope hes calmed down a bit! Get on that surf board!

have fun at the beach.

I haven't been around to talk to you Dave, but read your posts sometimes, as I go in and out of here just lately, ah to be a shiftworker and get on PIO intermittently. Well I had a crappy day at work yesterday - health and safety rep at work - and didn't have any wins. Any ideas....now that should keep you busy for a while.......:laugh:

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

I enjoy reading about the minutiae of your day. It opens up inner city Sydney to me and gives me a feel of a totally different life. I think most people with an imagination wonder occasionally what their sliding doors lives could be like and I find yours interesting to read. Sorry I haven't got much to add usually as don't hang in your hood and I'm typing this in-between blowing rasberries on my babies back so you can imagine what my life is like :biggrin::wubclub:

I haven't been around to talk to you Dave, but read your posts sometimes, as I go in and out of here just lately, ah to be a shiftworker and get on PIO intermittently. Well I had a crappy day at work yesterday - health and safety rep at work - and didn't have any wins. Any ideas....now that should keep you busy for a while.......:laugh:

As in 'wins' against your enemy - the bosses, you mean? Where do you work and what hours do you do? I don't like shift work at least I don't like night shift. That reminds me, I applied for a job I did not want (and did not get anyway) but the hours were 0130 to 0900. I thought that consituted a night shift and a bloody unpleasant one too. The Agency told me it was classed as a morning shift as it finished after 0700.

I was suspicious that they do that so they don't have to pay penalty rates? My favourite hours are/were afternoons or afternoons and evenings, which I got used to working for Royal Mail in England.

Since I stuffed up this typing test at an agency in the CBD on Monday arvo I've been a little depressed about my chances of getting a job. I can type but I screwed this test - twice doing the warm up then pressing a button which I should not have done which completed the test. Then I had two goes at the proper test and mucked them up too, too slow, too many errors. Then I allowed myself to go through the pantomine of filling my details out just in case they do find something else for me. No chance. Some agencies do come back to you but others just SAY they will.

I try to reassure myself that, whilst I WANT a job, and it would be good for me, I don't NEED one!

Dont worry dave you'll find another job. What about trying something completely different? If you dont NEED a job then you might aswell try to find something that you would like to do

Guest Guest16631

.........................totally out of sequence.....................???.Ian McShane where he played an antiques dealer? ............................Lovejoy.............

I enjoy reading about the minutiae of your day. It opens up inner city Sydney to me and gives me a feel of a totally different life. I think most people with an imagination wonder occasionally what their sliding doors lives could be like and I find yours interesting to read. Sorry I haven't got much to add usually as don't hang in your hood and I'm typing this in-between blowing rasberries on my babies back so you can imagine what my life is like :biggrin::wubclub:

Unremitting, 24X7 hard work if you have a baby (ies?) I was watching a couple with four young kids at the beach the other day - like watching a couple of cowboys trying to keep control of a rampaging herd of cattle!

One thing made me laugh was that the 'Mum' kept calling out to the 'Dad' every couple of seconds, seemed to me, with fresh 'orders', sorry, I mean 'suggestions!' He had the patience of Job! My brother could learn a few tips from him!

11pm so I'm going to pop up the road and get The Australian and maybe sneak in a schooner (or two.) Walk up Cleveland St, which is a bit like the North Circular Road.

Guest guest37336
.........................totally out of sequence.....................???.Ian McShane where he played an antiques dealer? ............................Lovejoy.............

Lovejoy was shot around my neck of the woods Tink many moons ago.

My mum fancied the pants of him, so Ruth got his autograph as the crew were filming at her stables at the time.

My mum still has the photo, covered in grease, forlorn and rather ragged as it hangs above her cooker, come to think about it..............:idea:

That description rather suits Ian McShane.:yes::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.

Thanks, I could not think of it, not sure if I actually watched it unless it was on ABC here?

Is that the same actor who intimdated Ray Winstone in ???? what is the bloody movie, partly set in Spain, partly in London. I thought Ray Winstone was the most UNintimidateable actor until I saw Ben Kingsley and ?McShane' both do it.

I know it is 'just' acting but Ben Kingsley, a million light years from Gandhi! Probably the worst bad guy I've seen?

'Get out of the ****ing car.'

Guest guest37336
Thanks, I could not think of it, not sure if I actually watched it unless it was on ABC here?

Is that the same actor who intimdated Ray Winstone in ???? what is the bloody movie, partly set in Spain, partly in London. I thought Ray Winstone was the most UNintimidateable actor until I saw Ben Kingsley and ?McShane' both do it.

I know it is 'just' acting but Ben Kingsley, a million light years from Gandhi! Probably the worst bad guy I've seen?

'Get out of the ****ing car.'

'Sexy Beast' was the film mate.:jiggy:

Guest Guest16631

..............never watched it tbh.....................but was a favorite of mums .....................she liked his sidekicks............one was called Tinker I think......................bet it was interesting watching the filming................[sorry always out of sequence,should use the quote more!]

I dont have a clue what you lot are talking about lol, i feel so young :embarrassed::mad: