ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest cream

hoping to travel to austalia...

Guest cream

Hi,

was wondering if anybody to help me.. i am looking to apply for an australian working visa to travel next year. I am currently on a 2 year suspended sentence for cultivating cannabis. Not to bore you with all the details this was a very sensitive case where i basically took the blame for an ex partner. i am 23 years old and have no other previous criminal record. I was sentenced to 52 weeks, suspended for 2 years and it should run out in september 2012.

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on exactly what i would need to do to apply for my visa?? I should be able to get excellent character references as i said i have never been in trouble before. I would be wanting to travel to australia next novemeber.. do you think this is likely? If so what do i need to do? thanks.

Would be best to speak to a migration agent regarding this, as you still need to meet the Character requirements for Working Holiday Visa http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-first.htm

12 months sentance is classified as a substantial criminal record, regardless of when it was.

Although generally Police Checkes are not requested on temporary visas, you still need to do a statoutory decleration, and the conviction would be flagged up then, also when when you enter Australia on your landing card you need to declare convictions.

Guest cream

Thanks for this.. would you be able to advise how i would speak to a migration officer?

Also when you referred to a temporary visa was that not relevant to me if i am wanting to stay around a year? Juat a little confused by that bit.. Thanks again :biggrin:

WHV is a temporary visa, when you apply you need to state all criminal convictions, as you have a 1 year sentance, I dont know if this would be automatic refusal or they would ask for police checks?

But even if you got the visa granted, then entering Australia maybe difficult as you need to list criminal convictions on landing card. Also if you dont declare your visa would be cancelled.

FOr PR visas a sentance for 1 year or multiple smaller sentances of up to 2 years, could mean automatic refusal of visa.

There are a few agents that post on here, if you do a search, you may find one, but what I have read Go Matilda gets alot of good reviews.

This is a bit of a grey area and best to talk to a professional.