You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

jamesnparry

Where best in QLD or north NSW for fair skin family

Hi we are back and forth with the idea where to live when we apply/arrive next year......

Other half is a nusrse, i will be house husband (dreaming of course - will end up doing anything around school hours) and we had first set our sights on sunshine coast.

comparsion came with rainy season, humidity, and then the need for kids ( 3&5 ) and wife to have it bearable to live in. I am not bothered where we live as long as its QLD, or Tweed heads.

Can anyone give advice on where its bearable for fair skin family Coolganta or sunshine coast, or further in ipswich or coofs harbour ? Could we survive in townsville,

We will be going on a RSMS.

Helpful advice any one ?

RGN (43) OH (47) 2 daughters (6 & 4):hug: AHPRA applied Sept. '11 & granted Jan. '12. Job offer June '12...e457 lodged 23 aug.'12..medical 28 aug.'12.. visa granted 6 Sept.'12!.. Arrived in Oz 4 Nov 2012.....!

Are you interested in how hot it gets or how fierce the sun is.

Queensland is tropical and therefore its hot and humid in summer and nice in winter. However remember winter is only three months.

Same with Tweed Heads.

Townsville is hot and humid as well but hotter than Brisbane.

Sun is fierce in Aus wherever you live and fair skinned people need to be very careful in the sun, cover up, always wear a hat, wear sun screen etc. That said its not just fair skinned people who need to do that.

I live in Victoria as its not a humid state and anywhere humid for me is a no no cannot stand it.

Victoria people compare to UK because its colder in winter but its not like the uk it gets nowhere near as cold and has a temperate climate.

If you go to Spain or other hot places for a holiday just think what it would be like to have it every day of the year and you will get the picture.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

thanks for that.....just trying to narrow it down where to focus on......I have no problem with heat...lived in too many hot palces to worry...but with wife and young children, just want to find that place where its not too sticky - so the other half does no fly off the handle when i did not chose a rental with air con, or she hates it as its too warm......perfect place would be sydney...but we just can not afford to live there, as it will be on one salary, so looking at areas which are cheaper- but warmth is the motivator.....and yes would hope the normal tropical rain is not as bad as the last 2 weeks

RGN (43) OH (47) 2 daughters (6 & 4):hug: AHPRA applied Sept. '11 & granted Jan. '12. Job offer June '12...e457 lodged 23 aug.'12..medical 28 aug.'12.. visa granted 6 Sept.'12!.. Arrived in Oz 4 Nov 2012.....!

Are you interested in how hot it gets or how fierce the sun is.

Queensland is tropical and therefore its hot and humid in summer and nice in winter. However remember winter is only three months.

The part the OP is looking at is sub-tropical rather than tropical which means significantly milder weather than the tropical north. Totally different weather pattern. Non humid weather for example is not just the 3 months of winter but can be 7-9 months or more depending on the year.

The humidity can make it feel hotter but when humidity is normal the actual temperatures have less extremes than southern states.

If you move inland a bit from coastal qld I am told the summer humidity all but disappears and you have more the dry, fly blown heat you get in Vic, WA with colder winters. Toowoomba for example. Toowoomba is also more affordable. Depends what you are after really.

thanks for that.....just trying to narrow it down where to focus on......I have no problem with heat...lived in too many hot palces to worry...but with wife and young children, just want to find that place where its not too sticky - so the other half does no fly off the handle when i did not chose a rental with air con, or she hates it as its too warm......perfect place would be sydney...but we just can not afford to live there, as it will be on one salary, so looking at areas which are cheaper- but warmth is the motivator.....and yes would hope the normal tropical rain is not as bad as the last 2 weeks

'Other half' speaking...

Point of note: I DO NOT 'fly off the handle'.... but simply resort to tactics needed when dealing with a 'other half' who has selective deafness when one tries to offer positive critism in a rational and ladylike manner.....:rolleyes:

'Other half' speaking...

Point of note: I DO NOT 'fly off the handle'.... but simply resort to tactics needed when dealing with a 'other half' who has selective deafness when one tries to offer positive critism in a rational and ladylike manner.....:rolleyes:

this is the other half which didn't consult with the head of the both halfs ....feeling that he has to not make assumptions when selective hearing comes to play....but back to basics..........temperature similarities between tweed head, and sunshine cost......are they extreme with regards rain fall, and humidity or could we go back to focusing on sunshine coast

this is the other half which didn't consult with the head of the both halfs ....feeling that he has to not make assumptions when selective hearing comes to play....but back to basics..........temperature similarities between tweed head, and sunshine cost......are they extreme with regards rain fall, and humidity or could we go back to focusing on sunshine coast

A couple of places to consider:

http://www.bundabergregion.org/

http://www.gladstoneregion.info/

Never too hot, never too cold.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest SupportPants
Hi we are back and forth with the idea where to live when we apply/arrive next year......

Other half is a nusrse, i will be house husband (dreaming of course - will end up doing anything around school hours) and we had first set our sights on sunshine coast.

comparsion came with rainy season, humidity, and then the need for kids ( 3&5 ) and wife to have it bearable to live in. I am not bothered where we live as long as its QLD, or Tweed heads.

Can anyone give advice on where its bearable for fair skin family Coolganta or sunshine coast, or further in ipswich or coofs harbour ? Could we survive in townsville,

We will be going on a RSMS.

Helpful advice any one ?

Townsville is scorchio for alot of the year and i think I'd probably argue that although May to Sep is lovely weather the rest is uncomfortable - its very hard to avoid the sun and it feels even more humid when you are covered in sun tan lotion all day (which you do need to do - you can get burned just going to the shop for a coffee). Queensland is the melanoma capital of the world don't forget!

Tweed Heads/Coolangatta area is the nicest I think - big white surf beaches (no box jelly fish or Irikanji (I think)? Although there are often blue bottles washed up to avoid (not so life threatening though)

Probably nowhere is going to be ideal for the fair skinned - you could try Tasmania though I suppose.

My very Aussie d-i-l is in UK now with the kids and she has been in 7th heaven (as have the kids) because she can take her fair skin (and theirs) out in the back garden without being covered from head to toe (they eschew sunscreens with all the nasty carcinogenic ingredients - go figure!). She has been sourcing good cheap long sleeved light cotton tops for the girls and she is already complaining that they wont be able to go out much because even Canberra in the summer is a sizzler environment. HOwever, she still isnt inclined to come and live here, more's the pity.

As quoll as said it is hot in most of Australia in summer but the beauty of the gold coast, Brisbane, sunshine coast region is that while most of Australia's capital cities are shivering through winter you get mild, dry, non humid bright blue sunny cloudless days around 18-21c right throughout much of late autumn, winter and early spring. Even though it is cold overnight and early morning the days in the sunshine are lovely and mild but not too cold. Really great.

do you think we can get away from renting a house with no air con, in sunshine coast area........notice the OH did complain when it hit 24 degrees c some time back, saying it was too hot to go out.....so still feel this would break the camels back so to speak when we step of the plane in nov 2012 to an average summer day of mid 30's......and the hummidty hitting 80% plus

I would make aircon a priority! Here at our short term place, we only have aircon in the lounge/kitchen which is fine as the place is tiny. However when we go out each day we turn off the aircon, and return to find the place sticky hot even though the curtains are kept shut.

I'm fair and tend to suffer in extreme heat, but have been fine so far outside. Think the highest temperature in just over a week was 29c and it felt pretty hot in the sun but comfortably cool in the shade, certainly not too hot to go out :o) And it cools down after sunset anyway. I know this will change when the humidity hits, but for now it's bearable.

I've noticed quite a few people walking round using umbrellas as parasols, saw it a lot around LA as well. You'd get ridiculed for that in the UK! But it makes a lot of sense in a place where sunshine is abundant.

She'll be right!

do you think we can get away from renting a house with no air con, in sunshine coast area........notice the OH did complain when it hit 24 degrees c some time back, saying it was too hot to go out.....so still feel this would break the camels back so to speak when we step of the plane in nov 2012 to an average summer day of mid 30's......and the hummidty hitting 80% plus

Average summer day in the hottest month of summer is 29 in south east qld. Mid 30's is the exception rather than the rule. You probably do want a/c for the humid days...many locals still live without it but it takes a while to learn how.