1st Quote from shipping company

woodymcfc

well that's the first quote in, the rep was here a total of 20 mins, didn't measure anything just estimated and came up with 850 cubic ft. sole usage of a 20ft container, mentioned that if over 3/4 of a container full then its cheaper to get the whole container and not groupage. I spent a whole afternoon measuring what we wanted to take and got it at 535 cubic ft, thats with taking legs off tables, flat packing bed etc..... and also measuring all settees as if they were cubes so able to fit extra boxes on top of settee, if you know what I mean..... 300 cubic ft difference, seems a lot to me...................next quote on Friday morning...........

• 3 weeks later...

Well quotes in now from 5 companies......Lancashire to Perth...................leaving first weeks of December

White & co.

- 850 cuft so Full sole use container £3791

Crown

- 700 cuft groupage £3749

or

- full container £3976

- these prices also include customs fees @ approx £300

John Mason

- 700 cuft groupage £2725

or

- full container £3475

Moving Partnership

- Originally estimated @ 950 cuft £3654

- re-estimated after phone call from them @ 750cuft groupage £3044

Robinsons

- 688 cuft £2980 also offered insurance @ 1.5%

Ok what do I do now, obviously John Masons looks a no-brainer but if I want to hassle how would you hassle ??? Do you think I'd be able to get the price down any more ?? John mason have done an inventory and said that's the price I will pay for what's on the inventory and to tell the truth the rep almost certainly put too many boxes on just so his estimated cuft wasn't under, if you know what I mean !!

Be interested to know peoples thoughts ??????????????

Guest johny1946

Hey woody,

thanks for putting this up,it is very helpfull,we are also looking to ship at the start of dec.

i have dad a few quotes now also,some fore sole use and some for groupage.

johnmason gave me a quote via email but the wee over £1000 cheaper than any other price!

so i have got them coming next week to have a proper look at what i have got and see what they say then.dont know about you but im finding this the most stressfull part,it is only 4 weeks until we go and i just need this stuff booked on a boat!!

best of luck

johny