Head in a spin, where to live, schools etc....

Guest StuckontheCC

Guest StuckontheCC

Hello all,

We are possibly moving interstate from the Central Coast NSW to Melbourne, Vic.

Hubby's future (fingers crossed) office is on Collins Street, near Merchant Street so a way from Flinders Street railway station.

While we love the idea of living in Mount Eliza for the space, we have three young children (4.5, 2.5 & 1) and two large dogs. We fear the commute might be too much. Hubby at the moment is commuting roughly 2hr each way.

He said he doesn't mind just over an hours commute and likes the idea of the tram. He also wants the kids to go a coed school.

So, which suburbs (preferably East, Bayside) are within an hour commute be near to private coed schools that have an ELC program ideally?

I am also looking for somewhere with a community as being a pom married to an Aussie I haven't found it that easy in Sydney to make new friends.

Cheers

Welcome, for a community for you I think South Frankston, Mount Eliza, Mornington or Mount Martha would be a good base. Also good for schools for your children and the beach of course.

It is an hour by train to the city from Frankston so most people drive from Mount Eliza and park at Frankston and take the train to the city, they have express trains in the peak hours which makes the journey a little shorter and of course being the beginning of the line get a seat.

The closer in to the city the harder I believe it is to meet people as most people are both working and have their lives etc.

Peninsula School, Toorak College, Woodleigh are good private schools around the Peninsula areas as is Frankston High School but you do have to live in the zone for it so South Frankston would be the place to live.

I live in a more rural area of the Peninsula and my children went to more rural high and primary schools.

My friend commutes to the city every day from here and has done for years and years.

A lot of people here get the train to Frankston and then change to the city train.

There is a good chore of support from fellow Brits on the Peninsula which I believe is needed when first arriving to a strange place.

Good luck

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

Have a look at the metlink site and follow the Frankston line train out for suburbs too

Guest VickyMel

Avoid the trams into the CBD as usually they travel on the roads (even if they have a dedicated lane then they get caught up with the traffic lights) at peak times they can be painfully slow.

Guest The Pom Queen

Also consider Berwick and parts of Cranbourne again an hour on the train, there is a great network of pommie ladies who go out on a regular basis so you won't be short on company. Schools in Berwick are good.