Guest Keocat

Different Rules for Drivers - be aware of you'll get a ticket!!

Guest Keocat

Bought a car 2 days ago and got a parking ticket within the first 24 hours for parking facing the oncoming traffic which is apparently a no no. I hope someone else learns from it and avoids a fine.

If anyone has any other simple rule differences from the UK that I should be aware of, please share.

Guest bowow2011

Hi I got the same I appealed it and got let off I wrote a letter stating that the rules in Uk are different and if they are going to let me drive on a Uk licence they should provide a rule book! I apologised and said I had learnt my lesson :0)

Guest bowow2011

Go to your local government office they'll give you a form to fill in and the fee should be waived xx

Bought a car 2 days ago and got a parking ticket within the first 24 hours for parking facing the oncoming traffic which is apparently a no no. I hope someone else learns from it and avoids a fine.

If anyone has any other simple rule differences from the UK that I should be aware of, please share.

This is a rule that I think should be adopted in the UK too. When you are parked between 2 cars facing the other way you cannot exit into the correct flow of traffic without crossing the oncoming traffic. You are in the drivers seat which offers inferior viewing particularly when you are parked between 2 cars. It is a sensible rule IMO and a lot of people get caught out by it.

Don't do a u-turn over a double white line. (No idea if you can do this in the UK though:embarrassed:)

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

If you see a sign that says 2P it means 2 hours ONLY, not to park your car and go off to the city for the day :embarrassed::embarrassed:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest GeorgeD

My wife almost got a ticket for parking nose in first in a space which said reverse park. Fortunately we saw the guy about to write the ticket and went back to ask what it was for and he pointed out the sign...we never even noticed everyone else had reversed in to their spaces. Fortuantely he let us turn the car around and reverse into the space and didn't write the ticekt.

Watch out for speeding; if you get done twice within a period (I think it's for offences more than 10 km/h over within 6 months) the second offence is automatically double demerits. Dunno if that's just QLD though.

Double points on public holidays!!!!:swoon:

Really? Wow that's harsh!

Trying to get to Aus since 2008. Finally the end is in sight and we are starting to really plan.

Hubby, Paramedic.

Me, Adult Nursing student starting Sept 2018. 

The word undertaking is not/rarely used and undertaking in marked lanes is legal and expected.

According to some of my British friends speeding is a lot more enforced (hidden camera's etc). According to them they quickly accumulated multiple fines before getting the message.

Giving a wave when let into the traffic is a lot more common/expected in Australia than the UK.

and the whole xmas and new year period

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

The booze bus - to catch drink drivers.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Yep, If you got caught speeding on a public holiday & you or your passenger is not wearing a seat belt, you could use your license!! :eek:

Yep, If you got caught speeding on a public holiday & you or your passenger is not wearing a seat belt, you could use your license!! :eek:

:yes:

Sad but true!!

So the moral of this thread is to ensure that anyone moving and planning on driving in Aus goes and invests in the Aussie highway code book (or whatever it is they have) for the state they are living/driving in and has a good read before setting out :biggrin:

They may drive on the same side of the road as the UK but the rules are far from the same. It did throw me from time to time and I've driven in loads of countries overseas but for some reason because that is the opposite side of the road in most places you do tend to bone up on the rules more I find. And expect differences. I do like the park in the direction of traffic flow rule though. It really does make sense and is safer. And the angled car parking spaces instead of straight on. So much easier to get in and out of if angled. I'm always a happy bunny seeing those sorts of parks anywhere in the world :cute:

Guest guest37336
Don't do a u-turn over a double white line. (No idea if you can do this in the UK though:embarrassed:)

Can't do it in the UK either Flea.

The rules and regs concerning parking in Aus are at times confusing, ESPECIALLY when each state seems to have different rules as well.

Seriously, gen up before you go.:yes:

I never knew it was illegal to ask a copper to take his sun glasses off when he stopped me, a night in the cells soon confirmed my ignorance though.:mad::policeman:

Cheers Tony.

Guest guest37336
Giving a wave when let into the traffic is a lot more common/expected in Australia than the UK.

Makes a change to the 'finger' over here at times mate.:no::mad:

Makes a change to the 'finger' over here at times mate.:no::mad:

To be honest I put this one in for a laugh knowing how much people usually complain about it on here. :rolleyes: Can't believe everyone else let it go and you just agreed with me :biggrin:

Guest JK2510

Nobody ever thanks you for letting them out. I know the drivers in WA are the worse in oz.

Nobody ever thanks you for letting them out. I know the drivers in WA are the worse in oz.

I find some do, some don't.

Guest JK2510

It's probably the British doing it! Lol

It's probably the British doing it! Lol

Not many British where I live - thank god I don't have to put up with those silly wasted gaps between cars. :biggrin: