Health insurance for family of 4 in Brisbane. How much?

millholl

Hey guys,

as usual I'm reading totally different things regarding health costs in Brisbane.

Family of 4: 2 adults 2 children (3 and 5) moving to Brisane We are UK citizens so qualify for recipricol health agreement. I'm on a 457 visa.

We have travel insurance for first 3 months and I will be registering for basic medicare once we arrive.

I understand we will also need to take out private health care to cover things medicare dosen't ie ambulance cover, prescriptions, dentist etc. etc.

I had budgeted about $200 dollars per month for healthcare plus setting aside $50 odd per month for random doctors visits. I've read somewhere that I would need $450 per month but I've also read that some people haven't bothered getting any healthcare.

We're pretty healthy family, eat well do a bit of exercise, non-smokers etc. so not in bad shape.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Cheers

Guest guest61059

You can manage perfectly well without medical insurance...I do and I;ve lived here for 22 years.

Like in the UK if you want private health insurance you are free to take it out, but it's not necessary.

I've never seen the reason for getting private health care coverage - I would never have considered it in the UK either. The dental costs are a pain in the a**e but the amount you would pay in monthly fees soon adds up to a dentist trip. We earn above the threshold and pay the levy but I still don't think it is worth getting private cover.

Guest guest36187

You have to have cover on a 457 visa.

For us private health care has been a bloody godsend with all the illnesses and hospital admissions we have had here. Private health care is great, A long as I can afford to keep it, I will.

I don't care what I pay, health of family most important

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Buckyrocks
You have to have cover on a 457 visa.

For us private health care has been a bloody godsend with all the illnesses and hospital admissions we have had here. Private health care is great, A long as I can afford to keep it, I will.

I don't care what I pay, health of family most important

Not if you're from the UK:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

This includes the 457 visa.

Guest The Pom Queen
Not if you're from the UK:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

This includes the 457 visa.

You do before you arrive in Oz, once here you can cancel.

If your subclass 457 visa was granted on or after 14 September 2009, you are responsible for health costs which are incurred in Australia by you and your accompanying family members.

From 14 September 2009 it is a requirement for visa grant that applicants have made adequate arrangements for health insurance for themselves and accompanying family members.

Subclass 457 visa holders are subject to visa condition 8501. Condition 8501 requires all visa holders, including accompanying family members, to maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia.

You are required to maintain an adequate level of insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia. This insurance must be at least as comprehensive as the minimum level of coverage required under the subclass 457 visa program. For the minimum level of coverage required, see Attachment A to the health insurance standard template letter.

See: Health insurance standard template letter (106KB RTF file)

Visa holders who are enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements will be considered as having met this requirement. There is more information below on reciprocal health care arrangements.

Guest Buckyrocks

I've seen the site you have taken that from, and the last line sums it up. It does goes further into it with another link I believe. If you are on a 457 granted now and you are eligible for Medicare, you do not need private medical. End of story. You can take it out if you wish to, but it is not required if you get your medicare card.

Guest GeorgeD

We pay $142 per fortnight to Medibank for 2 adults and an 18 year old (apparently she is included as a child as she was in education when we took out the policy and will still be included as such until 21 or 25, can't remember)

My wife works for a Private Hospital. They have people come in to their Emergency Department who still need to pay all their fees up front as their healthcare provider isn't open 24 hours to check they have a policy to cover treatment. Medibank is the one her hospital ahs the least problems contacing.

Guest The Pom Queen
I've seen the site you have taken that from, and the last line sums it up. It does goes further into it with another link I believe. If you are on a 457 granted now and you are eligible for Medicare, you do not need private medical. End of story. You can take it out if you wish to, but it is not required if you get your medicare card.

I'm not an agent but I am 100% sure you are wrong.

The info comes from DIAC

read the rest of it especially the part I have made bold.

If you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you may be eligible to access Medicare. For further information you should refer to the Medicare Australia website.

See: Medicare Australia – Visitors to Australia

Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501.

You should also be aware that once you have enrolled with Medicare, you need to contact the Australian Taxation Office to see if you will be subject to the Medicare Levy Surcharge. This might affect the type of health insurance policy you need to maintain while in Australia.