JBO76

Medicals tomorrow morning - advice needed

We have our meds booked at the much praised (on POI) Bridge clinic in Maidenhead for tomorrow morning.

We have children of 2 and 6 whom we have chosen not to vaccinate following extensive research on the pros and cons. My question is whether this will be covered in the childrens medical and if we tell them the kids are not unto date with vaccinations, will this be a problem?

I would also appreciate any information on what actually happens at the medical. I know that adults need a chest x-ray and blood tests but that's all I know - what else happens and in particular what kind of examination do the kids get?

Can anyone tell me if the medical officer writes to your GP for general medical information.

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Jay

Submitted 4 Feb 2011 (176 Fam)/CO allocated 26 September 2011/Medicals on 18th October/all documents uploaded by 27th Oct and medicals showing as complete........Visa granted 7November! Wahoo!

Went there last week with our 7 week-old.

The sequence of events goes something like get collected from reception by radiographer, have photo taken, have chest x-ray taken, go over to main building and then have statistics collected by a nurse (height, weight, blood pressure, quick eye-test) then have the examination part. For us adults this was a medical survey, then down to the undies for the usual poking, prodding and chest listening. Our daughter got a general exam and a couple of the tests they do when you see the health visitor, nothing dramatic but I can't say what they would look for in older children. She hasn't had any vaccinations yet so can't see what the issue would be at the medical, it's not a question on the form. Once the exam is over the nurse takes your blood for the HIV check (and any others if you need them) and you pay the bill.

Overall I was impressed with the clinic, they are significantly cheaper than any of the other places I called and although it's a bit of a production line (everyone there we spoke to was doing an Oz/NZ medical) the staff are friendly and helpful, especially when daughter weed all over the nurses room :eek:

IELTS General 09/07/11 | CASA Skills assessment applied 28/06/11 - Positive 8/08/11 | WA SS applied for 09/08/11 - Approved 15/08/11 | 176 application submitted 02/10/11 | PCC 12/10/11 | Medicals Finalised 26/10/11 | CO 9/11/11 | Visa 29/11/11

I'll ditto the above, they are great despite my 2, 6 and 7 year olds trashing every waiting room with the box of toys there and spilling water everywhere from the dispensers:embarrassed::laugh:

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

Hi Jay

We had our meds at Bridge Clinic last Monday 10th & have 2 boys (14 & 11yrs old). I believe there is more than one Doctor there that carries out the immigration medicals, we had Dr Russell, a male Doctor. He didn't ask anything at all about the children's vaccinations.

Our appointment was 4.30pm but we arrived slightly early at 4.15pm. We were asked at Reception for our 'Registration document' and our passports then sat in the waiting area for a few minutes before we were taken for our chest xrays. All 4 of us went together to another waiting area and the 3 of us requiring xrays were called in 1 by 1 (both men & women undress to waist, women given a gown to wear). While we were getting the xrays, the staff in the office by the xray room were checking our TRN online as I could hear them.

After the chest xrays we were shown to another part of the building for our meds. We were waiting around quite a lot then so I would advise you to take things with you to occupy the children (although there were a few books, jigsaws etc there). Each waiting room also had a hot drinks machine a water dispenser. One thing that surprised me here was that the eye test, height & weight check was carried out at the top of the stairs just outside the waiting area. I went to ask the nurse something as she was checking our docs on a table at the top of the stairs and was told that I might aswell do them then. I stood by the waiting room doorway & had to cover one eye while she pointed a few letters out on the board, then the other eye. Shoes off, then weight & height. Quick dash to the loo to give a urine sample in a plastic cup then she asked for one of our children so I stood there while our 14yr old had his eye test/height/weight done. OH & 11yr old Son then went to get theirs done. Waited a while again before Dr Russell called us all in together. He looked on the computer & said that he would do our meds in the order that they came up. We all had just had blood pressure, listen to chest (kids also listened to their own heart), felt around our necks, quick lie down, felt stomach, asked us to cough & that was basically it. Didnt check any of our hearing or reflexes as I've read on most. He also got our 11 year old to help out with mine & OH's blood pressure, so he did mine a couple of times so that our Son could tell him when he could no longer feel my pulse! He did tell us that he has a 10 year old daughter of his own & I think I've also read someone said on here that Dr Russell carried out a medical on their daughter's doll! During the meds Dr Russell was asking us general medical questions about our health, nothing serious. He was good with the children, although ours are older - TBH we just wanted it over & done with as we had a long journey to get back home & he did spend a long time talking, recommending which restaurants we could go to nearby but I know he was just trying to be helpful and was really friendly. Once we were finished with Dr Russell we went to another waiting room downstairs but only while both me & OH went into the room next door (separately) to have our bloods taken. That was the final stage before paying the receptionist.

I believe there is also a female Doctor at the Bridge Clinic but I would presume that they both carry out similar medicals. Nothing at all to worry about, especially for the children's meds.

Think thats about it, hope I've helped. Good luck for tomorrow - any other questions, just ask.

Not sure whether the Medical officer writes to your GP as our meds only got uploaded today (we were told it takes 2-3 days for the blood tests to be returned then the Doc looks at your chest xray again before signing everything off). That is my only complaint, I did chase them up on Friday as I could see that our meds still hadnt been uploaded. I would imagine, but its only my thoughts, that your GP would only be contacted if they need further information regarding an existing medical condition or similar.

Mandy

/

Just wanted to say many thanks for the really helpful replies to my post - muc appreciated. We now have a really good idea of what to expect tomorrow :biggrin:

Submitted 4 Feb 2011 (176 Fam)/CO allocated 26 September 2011/Medicals on 18th October/all documents uploaded by 27th Oct and medicals showing as complete........Visa granted 7November! Wahoo!

Just wanted to say many thanks for the really helpful replies to my post - muc appreciated. We now have a really good idea of what to expect tomorrow :biggrin:

Hope everything went ok today.

Mandy

/

We have our meds booked at the much praised (on POI) Bridge clinic in Maidenhead for tomorrow morning.

We have children of 2 and 6 whom we have chosen not to vaccinate following extensive research on the pros and cons. My question is whether this will be covered in the childrens medical and if we tell them the kids are not unto date with vaccinations, will this be a problem?

I would also appreciate any information on what actually happens at the medical. I know that adults need a chest x-ray and blood tests but that's all I know - what else happens and in particular what kind of examination do the kids get?

Can anyone tell me if the medical officer writes to your GP for general medical information.

Many thanks in advance for replies.

Jay

Just a small concern. When a friend of mine arrived in Perth and tried to enrol her unvaccinated kids in school, there were issues raised about her children being a danger to the recently born siblings of current pupils. These babies are too young to be vaccinated especially against whooping cough, which may be caught, carried and passed on by any unvaccinated person.

There were Govt plans at the time to reduce the Family Benefit payments to those parents who had not had their children vaccinated. I don't know if that ever happened, as my friend got her kid's jabs up to date in the end.

Hope it went ok for you guys today. :wink:

Medicals all done today and everything ran exactly as Mandy had set out in her post above. We we the first appointment of they day and arrived at 10 and were done by 12.30. There were a few families after us and they spent a while waiting for us to finish so I think it would have taken them a fair while longer than us.

My tip would be to go for the first appointment of they day.

Thanks again for all of the advice

Jay

Childcare benefits & vaccination payments are stopped by centrelink if your children are not vaccinated. There are apparently ways to get partial payments, some forms you get a doc to sign. But many nurseries & out of school hours clubs for the older kids won't accept unvaxed kids. State schools will accept them, they'll just make them stay home if there are outbreaks of anything but you'll be buggered if you need the before & after school clubs so you can work!

05/09/09 Mailed my 309/100 app 17/09/09 CO 05/10/09 Meds 08/10/09 PCC 09/10/09 Xray, 18/12/09 Extra Medical report recieved by CO 14/01/10 Hep B test, 09/02/10 New CO aggh 18/02/10 309, Baby visa needed now for our move in Sept 2011

Thanks for that. I had seen something along these lines before about needing vaccines for school and possibly getting reduced benefit if not vaccinated.

Our kids are pretty young right now and we are planning to home educate them initially whilst we all settle in to our new life.

Jay

Our kids are pretty young right now and we are planning to home educate them initially whilst we all settle in to our new life.

Jay

That's what we were going to do too so they can start at school year right at the beginning rather than going for a month or two then breaking up for the summer hols.:wink:

Justin TRA 8/4/11 success 10/5/11, WA SS sent 10/5/11 - approved 16/5/11, 176 lodged 1/6/11, CO 26/6/11, Meds 16/8/11, Finalised 26/8/11, PCC 16/9/11, VISA GRANTED 1/11/11 Arrived in Perth 12/11/2012:ssign19:

I had my medical at the Bridge Clinic last week and cannot fault them in any way. All members of staff right from the initial check in were very friendly - especially the nuse who took the blood and did the eye test etc. On top of that it's a beautiful place (once home to Lyle of 'Tate and Lyle' fame apparently) and they're more than happy for you to spend any waiting time in their pretty gardens if you wish. Plus, there are free hot drinks to help you along the way with the urine sample.

I went there mainly because it was £70 cheaper than the London clinic which was considerably closer. I don't have a car so took the train up to Maidenhead from Brighton - although I slightly underestimated the journey time as it took me 2 & 3/4 hours each way!

I had the lady Doctor do my medical - nothing too major. Just stripping down to undies (luckily I wore the new ones) before being prodded around the middle, under the arms etc, having the knee hammer test for reflexes and a general chat about medical history.

All in all it wasn't exactly how I would have chosen to spend my day off work but if you have to have a medical it's a very nice place to do so...

309 visa granted and moved to Adelaide from Brighton UK in 2012. 100 visa and PR granted 2013. Became a citizen on Australia Day 2017. 

Childcare benefits & vaccination payments are stopped by centrelink if your children are not vaccinated. There are apparently ways to get partial payments, some forms you get a doc to sign. But many nurseries & out of school hours clubs for the older kids won't accept unvaxed kids. State schools will accept them, they'll just make them stay home if there are outbreaks of anything but you'll be buggered if you need the before & after school clubs so you can work!

Thanks for that Shel.

It looks like there is an option to be be exempted from the immunisation schedule if you make a formal objection.

My wife does not work and will be the full time carer for our kids - am i right to assume that we won't be able to claim the child care allowance? Do you know if this benefit is means tested?

Thanks

Jay

Yes its means tested and unless you are exempted from the work activity ie you have a disability you cant get child care benefit because you won't have to pay for childcare! There is the child care rebate which is seperate but that is done through the tax system and refunds money actually paid and you have to be eligible (even if nil payment) for child care benefit to claim.

05/09/09 Mailed my 309/100 app 17/09/09 CO 05/10/09 Meds 08/10/09 PCC 09/10/09 Xray, 18/12/09 Extra Medical report recieved by CO 14/01/10 Hep B test, 09/02/10 New CO aggh 18/02/10 309, Baby visa needed now for our move in Sept 2011