You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

PommyPaul

stumbling upon a bargain?

what was the last bargain you stumbled upon?

Driving through port campbell on the great ocean road yesterday it was blowing a gale and we were abit put off putting the tent up so were looking for somewhere cheap to stay, came round a corner and theres a sign outside a house right next to the beach saying $80 a night, stop to look at the sign and the fella that owns the house comes out and rents us his house for the night...... nice place, big, gorgeous ocean view and $20 a night cheaper than a pokey motel room!!!! :jiggy:

whats your bargain story?

My Aussie pictures - https://instagram.com/paulbell5/

Wow!! can you stay for a week! LOL

I love bargains.... discount queen they call me. Got a Thun ceramic pelican on Ebay for 7 quid, limited edition one, found out it is worth £300!!!

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

booked a cheap single room in a hotel in The Rocks area of Sydney, arrived and they had messed up the booking so upgraded me and I ended up with this view for 4 nights

DSC01653.jpg

$40 a night I class that as a bargain :jiggy:

DSC01653.jpg

So what if I can't spell Armagedon ? It's not the end of the world.

i bought a pair of shoes recently, they were in the sale for a tenner, but when i took them to the till they went through as a fiver, happy days!

I bought a collapsible ice bucket thingy from Bunnings, can't remember the exact price, around $20. I saw the display model so grabbed one of the boxes from underneath and took it to the counter. Thought it was a little heavy for what it was. Anyway, barcode wouldn't scan at the counter, but they looked up the price, no problem. Got it home, unpacked it from the box and there's around 15 of the ice buckets in the box ! Had picked up a box that they ship in, hence why it wouldn't scan at checkout. Bargain :wink:

Where we used to live in London we had a small waitrose local to us that used to shut at 'old shop' opening times (ie closed by 7pm, not open on a Sunday, that kind of thing) so used to have some real bargains in their reduced section. Got a massive pack of prime angus beef mince reduced down to 30p one night - they had about 4 more there, but they were all still at over £2 each, so I asked the boy reducing things if he could make all of them 30p for me, which he did! Happy days - freezer full of fab mince, pennies in my pocket.

(Lovely view Chorlton :) )

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

I bought a collapsible ice bucket thingy from Bunnings, can't remember the exact price, around $20. I saw the display model so grabbed one of the boxes from underneath and took it to the counter. Thought it was a little heavy for what it was. Anyway, barcode wouldn't scan at the counter, but they looked up the price, no problem. Got it home, unpacked it from the box and there's around 15 of the ice buckets in the box ! Had picked up a box that they ship in, hence why it wouldn't scan at checkout. Bargain :wink:

I hope you took it back and explained what had happened? How has your Karma been since?

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

what was the last bargain you stumbled upon?

Driving through port campbell on the great ocean road yesterday it was blowing a gale and we were abit put off putting the tent up so were looking for somewhere cheap to stay, came round a corner and theres a sign outside a house right next to the beach saying $80 a night, stop to look at the sign and the fella that owns the house comes out and rents us his house for the night...... nice place, big, gorgeous ocean view and $20 a night cheaper than a pokey motel room!!!! :jiggy:

whats your bargain story?

Cough cough, photos and maybe a quick plug for him :wink:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I stumble across bargains each week in Aldi (much to Dick Smith's displeasure, god damn cheap foreign shop), for things I never realised I needed, or just after I've paid more elsewhere. This week was a battery charger for $25 ($70+ elsewhere) and I'm after the headlight globes (bulbs), 2 for $7 ($50 elsewhere). Not to mention the 4 Cornetto copies for $4!!

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Just before we left UK I had a bit of an Ebay frenzy! The best bargain was a brand new £800 Max Mara suede jacket for £46.....

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

I hope you took it back and explained what had happened? How has your Karma been since?

I could tell you how I wrestled with my conscience and anguished over the decision, but that would be a lie. 'Caveat venditor' :yes:

I bought a Timberland T-Shirt before I left the UK. When the guy rang it up it came in as £5 instead of £30. The guy was cool and just laughed, he said "nothing has ever been £5 in this shop, oh well, here you go".

I bought a £300 tent on e-bay for £30 because it had an inch long tear that had been repaired.

Still going strong after three years.

I bought a marriage licence and it is still worthwhile some 35 years later...Now, THAT'S a bargain.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Was killing time in a tiny village waiting to pick up my youngest from a party when I spotted someone who was doing a garage sale. I selected a glass vase because I liked the pattern without really looking at it and paid the 50p. Got home and realised it's Royal Brierly crystal, worth a gair bit more than 50p that's for sure. Bargain.

I bought a marriage licence and it is still worthwhile some 35 years later...Now, THAT'S a bargain.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

sden686l.jpg

Happy 35th Anniversary Bobj:wubclub:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest Gothic Rose

Cheers, Bobj.

That's just such a Cool thing to say Bobj good on ya :notworthy:

ahhh i agree as well, nice one bob :)

everyone has found way better bargains than me btw!

Goodo, mate.

Oh, I dunno. Seems to me that after sending a few emails and you have ended up with a gorgeous young lady.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I could tell you how I wrestled with my conscience and anguished over the decision, but that would be a lie. 'Caveat venditor' :yes:

And seeing a person high up in that store has bought my house Rob, I will not say a thing I promise.......for a small fee:biggrin:

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

And seeing a person high up in that store has bought my house Rob, I will not say a thing I promise.......for a small fee:biggrin:

I'm all out of cash, will you accept a drinks cooler:wink:

Was camping in NZ about 10 years ago and had to get kitted out with basic gear, so went to The Warehouse ('where everyone gets a bargain...'). Purchased a tent, basic gas stove etc. Used said purchases for around 3 months. At the end of the trip I decided to try and sell my gear. Took it all to Cash Converters (next door to original store I got gear from) and sold the lot at a profit.

Suckers.:jiggy:

Partner visa lodged 5/7/10, subclass 309 Partner visa granted on 29/10/10. Permanent Residency visa granted 15/11/12. :cool:

My bargain of the decade is my card table. I was walking around my local hospice furniture charity shop and they had just taken delivery of a card table. I didn't know it was a card table at the time. I noticed a well to do fella looking at it over my shoulder and figured he was a "antiques dealer" as they tend to frequent this one particular charity shop. So I went and asked the lady how much it was as there was no price. She said she didn't know. So I offered her £30 for it she agreed. The oh half carried it off to the van and we whisked it home. It's a little tired and needs a little work but I like it just the way it is. So roll on a week and the father in law comes for lunch. He nearly fell over himself when he saw my card table. After he he spent a good ten minutes inspecting it he announced that I have a George III mahogany card table. Not bad for £30.

176 Family Visa GSM. Visa Granted 01/11/2011 Validated Visa Feb 2012

In order to stand out from the flock one must first be a sheep

I'm all out of cash, will you accept a drinks cooler:wink:

LOL, is that a trick question Rob, I am Australian - of course I will accept a drinks cooler (not to would be against all the laws in this country:laugh:).

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams