Bobdylansbird

Mental Health Nurse stuck with how to!

Hi Guys,

I wonder if you could help me out with the process of moving over to join you??

I am a 29 year old student mental health nurse due to qualify in March 2013. I have been with my partner for 7 years, and he is an Aussie.

We fully intend to move back to Melbourne as soon as I qualify so I am starting to prepare the information gathering for visa applications, ANMC stuff and sending our cats over! Plus his extended visa runs out in June 2013 so we have to be gone by then~!

I am going to be applying for a de-facto visa and we will have no problems supplying all of the evidence needed so thats fine- although the cost of applying for it is a disgrace!!

So I know i need to register for a skills assessment with the ANMC but have no idea what this entails or how I go about it. Will my newly qualified self have any skills that can be assessed??

I know I need a medical too and have sorted the nearest place here to me in the UK so thats ok.

Do i need to sit the IELTS test?? Is this a requirement of the ANMC??

I hope to get all the information I need and start to get each done next year so as soon as December 2012 comes along I can start applying for jobs and fingers crossed get one to go over to in March once qualified!

Anyone who has emigrated and can help with my queries would be very kind.

Thanks guys

Gem xx:jiggy:

Guest tullyfolk
Hi Guys,

I wonder if you could help me out with the process of moving over to join you??

I am a 29 year old student mental health nurse due to qualify in March 2013. I have been with my partner for 7 years, and he is an Aussie.

We fully intend to move back to Melbourne as soon as I qualify so I am starting to prepare the information gathering for visa applications, ANMC stuff and sending our cats over! Plus his extended visa runs out in June 2013 so we have to be gone by then~!

I am going to be applying for a de-facto visa and we will have no problems supplying all of the evidence needed so thats fine- although the cost of applying for it is a disgrace!!

So I know i need to register for a skills assessment with the ANMC but have no idea what this entails or how I go about it. Will my newly qualified self have any skills that can be assessed??

I know I need a medical too and have sorted the nearest place here to me in the UK so thats ok.

Do i need to sit the IELTS test?? Is this a requirement of the ANMC??

I hope to get all the information I need and start to get each done next year so as soon as December 2012 comes along I can start applying for jobs and fingers crossed get one to go over to in March once qualified!

Anyone who has emigrated and can help with my queries would be very kind.

Thanks guys

Gem xx:jiggy:

Hi there!

My partner & I are in a very similar situation (he is a newly qualified adult nurse Aug.2010). We've also been together 7 years, though I am the Aussie, and we have applied to move back via the spouse visa (hoping to be there March 2012).

You will need to have your degree assessed by the ANMAC, which can be done with the info at http://www.anmc.org.au/ (this whole process has recently been changed). We are doing this later (the visa is our priority at the moment, and we have to eek out the costs over a loooong period of time with repayments of student loans and the like).

The only thing I would say about the assessment process is - make sure you check and make a list of every single thing that is required so you can prepare for things that might take some time to organise. Although we didn't submit the application for assessment in the end, we had a letter from NHS HR (on letterhead), and another from the charge nurse, amongst other things. I am not sure how geared the application is to newly qualified nurses who are yet to be employed.

If your schooling has been completed in english, they will waive the IELTS as a requirement (it's true they used to have you do it anyway, but they changed it in 2010). When you submit transcripts from classes taught in English, that will be evidence enough of your command of the language.

The reason we decided to go with the partner visa and not on the sponsored employment visa, is because of where we are going to live. I am from Sydney, but we have a farm on the north coast of nsw, near lismore. There are very few opportunities for nurses in that area (posts are offered/advertised locally & there are enough nurses around that it seems there are very few sponsored roles, if any). However, if you're going to Melbourne there are LOADS of sponsorship opportunities, and that visa is cheaper than the spouse route. Some even have new graduate programs that accept overseas nurses (especially private hospitals). Don't hesitate to call them - you will find out so much more info than if you were trawling google, and you will get a lot of things clarified. But, as you said, many sponored positions will require a minimum experience level.

I feel like I'm being confusing...so....hopefully that's been some help at least.

Good luck with everything!!

Tullyfolk.

Hi there!

My partner & I are in a very similar situation (he is a newly qualified adult nurse Aug.2010). We've also been together 7 years, though I am the Aussie, and we have applied to move back via the spouse visa (hoping to be there March 2012).

You will need to have your degree assessed by the ANMAC, which can be done with the info at http://www.anmc.org.au/ (this whole process has recently been changed). We are doing this later (the visa is our priority at the moment, and we have to eek out the costs over a loooong period of time with repayments of student loans and the like).

The only thing I would say about the assessment process is - make sure you check and make a list of every single thing that is required so you can prepare for things that might take some time to organise. Although we didn't submit the application for assessment in the end, we had a letter from NHS HR (on letterhead), and another from the charge nurse, amongst other things. I am not sure how geared the application is to newly qualified nurses who are yet to be employed.

If your schooling has been completed in english, they will waive the IELTS as a requirement (it's true they used to have you do it anyway, but they changed it in 2010). When you submit transcripts from classes taught in English, that will be evidence enough of your command of the language.

The reason we decided to go with the partner visa and not on the sponsored employment visa, is because of where we are going to live. I am from Sydney, but we have a farm on the north coast of nsw, near lismore. There are very few opportunities for nurses in that area (posts are offered/advertised locally & there are enough nurses around that it seems there are very few sponsored roles, if any). However, if you're going to Melbourne there are LOADS of sponsorship opportunities, and that visa is cheaper than the spouse route. Some even have new graduate programs that accept overseas nurses (especially private hospitals). Don't hesitate to call them - you will find out so much more info than if you were trawling google, and you will get a lot of things clarified. But, as you said, many sponored positions will require a minimum experience level.

I feel like I'm being confusing...so....hopefully that's been some help at least.

Tullyfolk.

Hi thanks so much for your help!

I have been told the exact opposite from another nurse who has an Aussie partner!! I thinjk i nee to speak to a migration agent and get the corrrect info and then take things from there!

Thanks for taking the time to reply though!

gem xx

Hi, i work in private health and this is good advice. You do have a long time to decide on what to do so dont panic about things.

Snce you ahve an aussie patner than it will only be u that needs a visa. You have a few options open to you. Skilled migration, sponsered 457 then 856 or go down the de facto route. As a newly qualified nurse you will need to access a grad program for your first yr of practice.

Its a simple process once you have made a decision on which route to take. Please dont waste you money on an agent. Its too expensive and you can do this yourself. Go onto immi.gov.au and do the visa wizard and see what that says to get reassurance.

In my opionion -as a unit manager and and educator who used to run a grad program, your easiest and quickest route is to go the sponsered 457 way. Settle down and find your feet at work and home then decide from there. A 457 can last for 4 yrs and is transferable to other hosps and after 2 yrs. Or 1 if you work at my hosp, you can get your perm residency

Good luck

Hi there!

Tullyfolk.

....Living life in Aus....

Moved to Melb on 457 in Sept 2009, 856 granted June 2010 ... :em4000:...