Cerberus1

Yesterday's trek took us to Maytown and the surrounding area in the Palmer River Goldfields.

Maytown is located around 280km NW of Cairns, with the last 75km being off road 4wd track.

Maytown was the 'capital' of the Palmer gold field in the late 1800's with a population of around 700 at it's peak.

There were 12 hotels, 6 stores, 3 bakers, 3 tobaconists, 3 banks, a lemonade factory, butchers, chinese stores (the majority of the population were chinese), a saddler, chemist, post office, printers, newspaper, school, courthouse, hospital and police barracks.

Today Maytown is a ghost town, with the last resident leaving in the 1950's. Like so many ghost towns, little remains due to buildings being relocated and reused and termites and bushfires destroying remaining buildings.

There's still plenty of evidence of mining on the outskirts of town though and in town, the bakers oven is visible as are kerbsides, flagged shopfloors, the graveyard and stumps of buildings.

Road to Maytown

whites-creek-road.jpg

Queen Mill Mine

Queen Mill Mine, Maytown

Ida Mine

Ida Mine, Maytown

Ida Mine as it was

Ida Mine.jpg

Mabel-Louise Battery

Mabel-Louise Battery, Maytown

mabel-louise-battery2.jpg

Comet Mill

Comet Mill, Maytown

comet-mill-2.jpg

Charcoal burners - Tea tree & iron bark were burned to produce charcoal for the mine's forges.

charcoal-burners.jpg

Maytown - view down Leslie Street

maytown-leslie-street.jpg

Maytown - remains of bakery ovens

bakery-oven.jpg

Relics of Maytown

relics.jpg

Camping on the riverbed of the mighty Palmer River

camp-palmer-river.jpg

Wildlife

unknown.jpg

mini-frog.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen
Save The Lemming said:
I think it is an 'Australian Bustard' Rob, and I did say 'Bustard'.:no:

You are so clever, I'm impressed:notworthy:

What about the frog?

Guest guest37336
Cerberus1 said:
Cheers

I'd been trying to google long legged Queensland bird but the images i was getting back were somewhat different to what i was expecting:laugh:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Google 'Australian Bustard' Rob and bloody Keating comes up each time.:mad::embarrassed:

Guest guest37336
:wub::wub::laugh:

Amphibians have never been my forte Kate, unless it is stuck down a snakes throat, then I'll be interested.:notworthy::notworthy:

Only ever seen one Bustard, at first I thought it was a big Curlew, then realised it didn't make that incessant screeching noise at the top of it's lungs at 5 in the morning.:SLEEP::mad::mad::arghh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Amphibians have never been my forte Kate, unless it is stuck down a snakes throat, then I'll be interested.:notworthy::notworthy:

Only ever seen one Bustard, at first I thought it was a big Curlew, then realised it didn't make that incessant screeching noise at the top of it's lungs at 5 in the morning.:SLEEP::mad::mad::arghh:

We have the curlews here, like you say noisy buggers. There is one bird that literally drives me insane, I can't explain the noise but it's like some kind of electronic device, I prefer the screeching cockatoos more than this.

Another noise we hear in the rainforest is one that sounds like a squeaky dog toy.

Go on then Sharon any idea on the frog:idea:

:eek: nooooo ... tell the truth my parents have just been over for a holiday from the Uk and they are Twitchers ( well some long name .. they love birds and take pictures and do all the usual holidays with bird books ) they say their not lol . Anyway they have kindly got myself and my daughter a tad addicted to the Birds here :eek: so we have books and cards to mark them off when we see them .. hehe bit different to the Ds i'm sure .. :wink: for now .

Guest The Pom Queen
Real weird at times Kate.:goofy:

But have you ever heard or seen a Lyrebird, AMAZING.

Only ever seen one very fleetingly, but have a look at this clip.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

[YOUTUBE]Cd82a3LOw98[/YOUTUBE]

They are such clever birds, never spotted one but hopefully one day

Guest The Pom Queen
:eek: nooooo ... tell the truth my parents have just been over for a holiday from the Uk and they are Twitchers ( well some long name .. they love birds and take pictures and do all the usual holidays with bird books ) they say their not lol . Anyway they have kindly got myself and my daughter a tad addicted to the Birds here :eek: so we have books and cards to mark them off when we see them .. hehe bit different to the Ds i'm sure .. :wink: for now .

What a wonderful hobby, there are sooo many beautiful birds out here. I still haven't found out what the blue one is that flys in to the window, it's not a blue fairy wren, it's a little like a sunbird but blue.

Guest guest37336
What a wonderful hobby, there are sooo many beautiful birds out here. I still haven't found out what the blue one is that flys in to the window, it's not a blue fairy wren, it's a little like a sunbird but blue.

Never a huge fan of birdlife Kate, but always interested to learn more.

Bearing in mind PNG is so close to Australia (on world basis) it is such a shame that some of the Birds Of Paradise are not found in OZ.

There are a couple of species (less colourful) but would be great to have the whole family of them living in OZ. Amazing birds, just don't seem real with their plumage and antics.:shocked::notworthy:

Blue-Bird-of-Paradise.jpg

1535999699_5aa329ae62.jpg

Guest tandcmum

lovely photos, thanks for sharing

Love the vid of that bird too, i'm really looking forward to seeing all the different birds and hearing their songs, birdsong is one of my favourite sounds

Good one, Rob; passed Maytown on my way to Cooktown in 1985, but as I only had a small car in those days, never got to see the old gold diggings.

The Australiam bustards are fairly common in the desert areas. We saw 8 in one group in the Mt Isa area and 5 in a second group near Tennant Creek.

Err, that little 'frog' is a cane toad...:yes:

"We have the curlews here, like you say noisy buggers. There is one bird that literally drives me insane, I can't explain the noise but it's like some kind of electronic device, I prefer the screeching cockatoos more than this."

It is also called "the screaming-woman bird"...which would explain the noise...Hmmm?

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/our-animals/amazing-animals/birds/?bird=stone-curlews&animal=bush_stone-curlew

Cheers, Bobj.

• 6 years later...

Been adding a few old photos to some of the travel threads recently. When it comes to Maytown though, historical photos of the township are very thin on the ground and I've never seen one showng the main street.

Maytown General Store (1880's)

use-Maytown-General-Store-1880s.jpg

Maytown Bank (1880's)

use-Maytown-Bank-1880.jpg

Laura - Maytown Mail Coach (1895)

Laura-to-Maytown-coah-1895.jpg

Mine Workings (1890)

Palmer-River-Mine-Workings-ca-1890 (1).jpg

• Like 1