You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sun Shine

Anyone Moved to Oz without visiting first???

I know migration is a massive step, but, has anyone on this forum gone through the pricey migration process, Visa's, etc, and moved to Oz without visiting the country first? :huh:

I'm soooo very tempted to do this, rent out the house, and go for it.

I do realise Visa's take time and that's if you're lucky enough to get one, have enough points, etc.

Crazy or not?? :chatterbox:

Guest guest36187

We did it! Been here almost seven years. Works for us,

hey there, theres already a thread the same as this so check it out :) a lot of people say its crazy but we're doing it anyway. we're treating the experience the same as a whv, just trying it out for a few years then if we want to come home then thats fine.

just go for it!

Guest guest36187

We are in brissie. Hobby did heaps of research on Internet but my theory was 'what I don't know won't disappoint me'. Dangerous game to play perhaps but worked. I had no expectations so saw Australia through clear glasses.......no rose tints!!m lol

Hi yes we also did it ....been here almost 3 years now ...best thing we ever did ...sold everything and landed in Perth with 5 cases and 2 kids ...we wouldnt change any part of it ...Go for it ....Julia

:smile: love reading threads like this, i guess thats the thing playing on my mind, the what if's

were looking to be in oz in less than a year, having never visited either.

i get the feeling in threads like this if you try above all else to integrate and work hard; shes a welcoming place to be!

bring it on! :)

Chicken, gave me a bad coupon.

Thanks for the above replies.

I also feel that if you visit somewhere on holiday it is totally different to living there permanently.

I currently live in Devon, a fairly popular holiday destination for some, but I live and work here and do not see it as such, but I will visit places of interest on days off, weather permitting, etc.

I feel nothing ventured, nothing gained, and if things don't work out with Oz, after allowing time to settle in, at least I had a go and tried :cool:

Guest GoldCoastMag

We did it in the 70ies, and that as they say is history, I knew it was where I was meant to be.

Guest Been there

Yes and heading towards half century.

Guest athacliath

We came in 1989 with no internet to help us, just landed with 3 kids and hubbys toolbox, a bit of a shock for me, think I was expecting the white sand and sunshine to be everywhere, quickly realised school, work, paying bills were the same all over the world. best thing is to make some good friends and give it 2 years to see if you like it here. we love it here now

We did, got a 457 (wifes a nurse) pitched up 2 years back to a drizzly morning in melbourne - thought wtf good and bad since. We were working on the basis that a reccie would have been a holiday and we'd be all this is lovely we should live here then come moving it'd be different. Also the 6 grand gbp it would have cost would be useful setting up here.

If you're taking the risk coming here do it full on, short of spending a year (or more) travelling you'll never see enough to find the perfect spot.

Ich bin nicht ein Roboter

I am a lion

Raar

Wow, it's fantastic to hear that like minded people just went for it and the leap of faith worked out well in the end :notworthy:

I need to get my backside in gear! :cool:

Guest Beth101

Another yes! We had planned to visit, but ended up on a 457, so rented out the house and flew over to Perth. Best decision we've ever made, we knew within weeks that we wanted to stay, and have never looked back. It's a big move, but we decided that even if we didn't settle it would be a fabulous experience for us all to have had. Good luck :biggrin:

Guest TTAJ

Hi another yes on our 4th week (457) and looks good so far my hubby got sponsored i am sorting the kids and a rental (no furniture till dec though) it feels mad to do with 2 children but we got to give it a go seems very much about family time which is great and why we moved work to LIVE not live to work.

my advice do it better to have tried than always wonder what could have been ! my husband has tried for 7 years to get me here just wish i had done it sooner i was shallow and to scared of change i just hope my kids thank me.

all the best tracy

We are going sight unseen. We board the flight in exactly 24 hours.

Came out in August, had never been to Oz in my life. Must say that Sydney is not precisely what I imagined, but we are getting on with it and I am sure that in time it will grow on me. What I think is the one common denominator of all the above posts is attitude. If you have the right frame of mind you will make it work, even if you are not the richest or luckiest person in the world! If you come out and slip into a more negative frame of mind it can be difficult to get back out of it... and then even the smallest silly things get blown out of all proportion. I find when I am in a good frame of mind I can tackle most things, even serious ones, but if I let myself get the blues a bit too much then even a sunny day can seem wrong? We had no time to do any research and literally jumped in at the deep end. If you are lucky enough to have a bit of time on your hands then you can do some local research and it will be much easier when you set foot here. Also, there will be bad days. Expect them. It doesn't mean you are a failure or Oz is wrong, it is just a bad day! and they usually pass... Good luck to you.

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.