1 year in!!

Elliott-Family

Nice to hear some people are finding it easy,

I moved here (victoria) june this year and so far its been a nightmare for me, still trying to get a job

I was in IT for 10 years in the uk (same employer) also a qulified mechanic.

nobody is interested ...begining to thik its cos im english

ive had a few people say to me racist things about being english now

Pissed off and worried

sorry to hear you're finding it tough going.

A few wks ago I was working in ED and although I've been here 1 yr now one of the nurses who didn't know my name called after me and yelled out "English". I did pass comment that that could be racist but it didn't really bother me and actually I am now usually referred to "English" as a nickname. It doesnt particularly bother me being called Pom either as its usually in a joking context. I try not to take things too seriously now and will happily take the p*%$ out of my colleagues being aussie and their heritage!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Frankston is ok........I guess its the same as any city or larger town in the UK in that there are pockets of higher unemployment and social problems. Frankston has a slightly larger pocket of social housing compared to other places on the mornington peninsula and so this brings with it social problems, alcohol probs, drug use etc but no more than similar areas in my hometown in UK. The council (shire) are working to address this and there is a plan to build a big marina which will have knock on positive benefits. Saying this, there is the other side of frankston which is exclusive and rather desirable. Working in mental health i tend to see the 1 side of franga, so its not doom and gloom. As with any city you just need to do your research and choose the area you move too.

Frankston has good rail/ transport links to the city, a nice beach and lots going on.

regards

hi we are also considering Frankston as it has a large town, close to train, and looks to be a nice beach area....there are two sides to the place? What side would you consider the more desirable? If you were working in Dandenong South and wanted to be close to public transport, beaches and have local cafes pubs shops restaurnats etc where would you choose....we dont want to make a mistake, we have done that once already and have been given a life line by being offered another job in Victoria. Any input would be appreciated

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Well, the Elliott's have just notched up the first yr in Oz. We're on the mornington peninsula, vic. A year ago yesterday my wife and 12yr old son landed, i'd been here for 3wks by then.

What can we say apart from.....We love it!! :biggrin:

Being away from family and friends has been tough :sad: but we're making some really good friends here now :laugh: and today we are just about to have a BBQ to celebrate 1yr. In 2wks time my folks arrive for 10wks which will be great.

I work in mental health, adjusting to a new way of working is still a challenge :goofy: but I work to live and since being here we are certainly living! My wife is finding it a little tough to find work as you need a certificate to do any job which is a little disheartening. Jack, is really loving the ozzie way of life and already sounding like a little ozzie.

Generally I think we've all really adjusted well to the challenges of being here, yes some things are different but we're not in the UK anymore so its not surprising. Our standard of living is better even on 1 wage and no we didnt come over with any money really. I think all in when we landed we have about 12K (UK) to buy cars, furniture, get a rental and cover the cost of setting up a home. Now, we've upgraded 1 of our cars where as in UK we could only afford to have 1 car and more importantly, we've just upgraded our boat and its great!!: jiggy: We get out in the bay fishing, have learnt to wakeboard and generally mess about on the water. As a family we spend far more quality time together than we did in the UK and always seem to be out and about.

Anyway, I could go on and on but hopefully you get the gist of the post. So far, yr 1 has been absolutely fantastic, tough at times but worth it, roll on yr 2 with all its challenges and fun. I think if you arrive with the right attitude and wanting to put the work in to make a new life for your family you'll reap the rewards. We didnt come with much money and didnt bring all of our stuff from UK and we even brought two dogs over but what we have now is a great life.

Will we stay indefinately?? who knows?? but there's no reason to leave just yet as we're enjoying the fun and what this great country has to offer us!! ozzie, ozzie, ozzie..........:biggrin:

Great post this, it gives great encouragement to those of us who have got a visa or to those who are getting one. All the best.:wink:

Congratulations, Its always good to hear thats things are going well, Its gives others hope. Im going out to an employer hopefully in Feb 2012 for a week to see if I like it then employer will sponsor us.Just outside Melbourne