1 year in!!

Elliott-Family

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, glad things have turned out well for you. So did you get residency before you got here?

We are in Oz yes, I got sponsered on a 457 and they didnt really deliver on what they siad, they didnt lie, they were just vague and I ended up working in Epping when I was led to believe I would be in the city in a "prestigious hospital" Im not in a prestigious hospital! And it was suggested to us we should live near work, and we didnt like to argue with the boss before I even started! So we had had a year in the Northern suburbs. But you are right, it is about attitude. Having said that, no ened of positivity couldnt stop us hating where we live. Its just crap. But where are positive attitude has come in has been in spending all our time getting out and about and finding where we want to move to, and that move will happen tomorrow when we go to Torquay!

I think you did well to do your research before you came. We didnt really. I just got a job and we moved and where then surprised to find Melbourne busy, smelly and unfriendly (although over time we have found areas we like). The thing is unless you work in the city and live somewhere like Fitzroy, for us, its a waste of time, suburbia is just dull. Im sure you will find people friendly where you are. Every time we have been to Torquay its just a totally different attitude and thats also the case on the penninsula. Im working on an acute ward, are you? Its definitely a culture shock but Im getting used to it but will change jobs when I can to be nearer home.

Ian, glad things have turned out well for you. So did you get residency before you got here?

We are in Oz yes, I got sponsered on a 457 and they didnt really deliver on what they siad, they didnt lie, they were just vague and I ended up working in Epping when I was led to believe I would be in the city in a "prestigious hospital" Im not in a prestigious hospital! And it was suggested to us we should live near work, and we didnt like to argue with the boss before I even started! So we had had a year in the Northern suburbs. But you are right, it is about attitude. Having said that, no ened of positivity couldnt stop us hating where we live. Its just crap. But where are positive attitude has come in has been in spending all our time getting out and about and finding where we want to move to, and that move will happen tomorrow when we go to Torquay!

I think you did well to do your research before you came. We didnt really. I just got a job and we moved and where then surprised to find Melbourne busy, smelly and unfriendly (although over time we have found areas we like). The thing is unless you work in the city and live somewhere like Fitzroy, for us, its a waste of time, suburbia is just dull. Im sure you will find people friendly where you are. Every time we have been to Torquay its just a totally different attitude and thats also the case on the penninsula. Im working on an acute ward, are you? Its definitely a culture shock but Im getting used to it but will change jobs when I can to be nearer home.

Hi, yes we got our PR175 visa before we came out :biggrin:. From the off we didnt want to come on a sponsored visa as I didnt want to feel trapped especially if we didnt like where we ended up. At the min I work in a CLIPS team, so based in ED primarily assessing those that have self harmed or presented with mental health concerns. Saying that I have a interview tomorrow- 10th for a CATT job :jiggy: which is more family friendly hours as a pm shift finishes at 9pm. I absolutely hate nights :mad: and where I am I would have to work nights, there's also a lot of internal politics with working in ED and as a RMN working here compared to UK i feel rather second class which drives me mad :mad:!! You're right that is does take time to adjust to working here and i agree to the culture shock especially as pts are shackled in ED and sectioned unless they agree to having an assessment which i feel is rather close to abuse of the act :arghh:. But for me work provided a means to an end and nothing more.

Torquay is stunning, we were very close to moving to Ocean grove as I didnt think we could afford to live in torquay and i was offered a job in Geelong with barwon health. But after coming over to the Peninsula within a couple of days we decided this is where we wanted to be and so far its working out really well :biggrin: I hope you feel more settled in torquay I'm sure you will. :biggrin:

I think, Ian, you researched the move a lot better than we did and you reaped the rewards! Although my wife and I discussed the move for years, I just took a job with the first advert I saw and never gave any thought to what a 457 visa really meant. I felt very trapped, and trapped in a place i didn't want to work or live. It just didnt turn out as we had imagined! So we did our learning in the first year and we have come out on top but it was a tough year.

Whereabouts on the peninsula do you live? We love it there too. We went there a week after arriving and just thought we wish we could stay, on your visa, you could of course! It's an important message, i think, having our time again we would have done the same thing, but I suppose it must have been stressful coming out with no job, I would have been worried I wouldnt find one!

Now we are in Torquay it is just wonderful. We have only been there a day! But we can walk to the beach in 1 minute, I had a spare hour this morning so I took our 2 year old to play on the beach, I had half an hour this afternoon so did the same with our 4 year old while my wife was doing DIY!! I have not had that sort of access to a beach ever in my whole life. It's why we came, for a different life.

I just did my first commute to work, through an electric storm, the scariest drive ever but it still "only" took 90 minutes. Its worth it, it really is.

In regards to what you say about the work, I agree, and you sum up ED perfectly "self harm or mental health problem" ABSOLUTELY they are not the same thing! But here you can get sectioned for going out and getting pissed. Its unbelievable!!!

Interesting read.

Ian what's it like working for Peninsula? Any big differences to NHS?

I'm a CPN with an Access Team and I'm serioulsy looking into moving to the area, had a look at Peninsula Health randomly and it looks good, although obviously I know very little else.

Don't fancy being in the city, I've got friends in the area of Mornington/Frankston and that's where we want to go.

Thanks.

Interesting read.

Ian what's it like working for Peninsula? Any big differences to NHS?

I'm a CPN with an Access Team and I'm serioulsy looking into moving to the area, had a look at Peninsula Health randomly and it looks good, although obviously I know very little else.

Don't fancy being in the city, I've got friends in the area of Mornington/Frankston and that's where we want to go.

Thanks.

I can only compare peninsula with the NHS as i've not worked anywhere else in OZ. To be honest its ok, it isn't the NHS by any means and I find it behind psychiatry in the UK. It's a very medical model which at times i struggle with :wacko:. All the nurses in oz that trained here are general nurses who have eventually moved into psychiatry with minimal extra training. I trained in the late 80's where there was a complete move away from the medical model so i do not have the knowledge of a general nurse or ability to interpret blood results etc but there's always ways round that. There seems to be plenty of opportunity to move around roles in Peninsula but they do really push meeting targets etc which is all political and money orientated but I'm just not interested in the politics :no: The big thing that drives me mad is that they all use trade names for drugs and a lot of abbreviations which i think is quite risky. If you do come here dont expect to come to a NHS organisation, take it for what it is. Give yourself plenty of time to settle in and re-adjust to a different way of working and you'll be fine :yes: I do find i get paid better here than UK and i was a grade 6 in UK :jiggy:

We live in mount martha and love it :biggrin: Franston is well......"unique" to say the least but improving i think.

If you do head towards peninsula give me a shout and i'll be happy to help where i can or give you some advice.....not that i'm the expert but I am happy to help if i can!!

Ian

Oh I know the abbreviations! Unbelievable:

RIB Resting in bed

BIBP Brought in by police

RIS Respoding to internal stimuli

FMMTG Family meeting

HB Husband

Does it really take that long to write husband!!!!

We dont where any uniforms over here where I work in the Northern Suburbs unless you count tattoos, numerous facial piercings, shaved heads etc!

Thanks Ian that's really helpful. I like the 'work is a means to an end attitude' which I guess is essential during th emigration adjustment disorder phase. This mitt sound weird but do mh nurses wear uniforms? You hear rumours...

The psych nurses dont wear uniforms in Peninsula although there is a dress code but the usual type of stuff, smart casual, no jeans etc

Ian

Thanks for the reply Supa.

I think we may be the exception to the rule as we usually try to pay whenever we can and have used all sorts of ruses to get to pay before daughter or s.i.l get there!!! We have had to agree to split all bills for groceries and when we eat out, again to split the bill. They don't want any arguments.

We are babysitting whenever they want, even saving them one day a weeks childcare.

We have asked for them to leave us a 'to do' list, so we can help around the house.

All this makes us sound like angels, but we aren't really. It's just that we have another daughter here in UK and we do a lot for her and her family and just want to even things up a bit.

Also, I love visiting Australia and wouldn't want to not be welcome ever again!!!!!!!!

We'll certainly give them space, but also be there for when they need a hand.

Cheers Pam

Hi Pam, if your daughter gets sick of you then come and visit me in sunny Queensland! No seriously though I miss my mum terribly and hope she'll come for the full 3 months when she visits. Your daughter will cherish having you there, particularly for the babysitting! Mothers and daughters have such a special bond, even though we drive each other mad sometimes. Relax and enjoy your stay. Kelly x

We live in mount martha and love it :biggrin: Franston is well......"unique" to say the least but improving i think.

Ian

Hello Ian, I think Frankston is where I'd be settling when I eventually get there, I'm interested in the 'Unique' comment, c'mon dont be coy, I'd like to know what its like. You can PM me if want.

Regards,

P.

Hello Ian, I think Frankston is where I'd be settling when I eventually get there, I'm interested in the 'Unique' comment, c'mon dont be coy, I'd like to know what its like. You can PM me if want.

Regards,

P.

Hi, Frankston is ok........I guess its the same as any city or larger town in the UK in that there are pockets of higher unemployment and social problems. Frankston has a slightly larger pocket of social housing compared to other places on the mornington peninsula and so this brings with it social problems, alcohol probs, drug use etc but no more than similar areas in my hometown in UK. The council (shire) are working to address this and there is a plan to build a big marina which will have knock on positive benefits. Saying this, there is the other side of frankston which is exclusive and rather desirable. Working in mental health i tend to see the 1 side of franga, so its not doom and gloom. As with any city you just need to do your research and choose the area you move too.

Frankston has good rail/ transport links to the city, a nice beach and lots going on.

regards

Hi Pam, if your daughter gets sick of you then come and visit me in sunny Queensland! No seriously though I miss my mum terribly and hope she'll come for the full 3 months when she visits. Your daughter will cherish having you there, particularly for the babysitting! Mothers and daughters have such a special bond, even though we drive each other mad sometimes. Relax and enjoy your stay. Kelly x

Hi Kelly, sorry about the delay, I have only just seen your reply.

We have been here almost 3 weeks now and are loving it (again)!

With the exception of the heat, we have all survived well so far.

We have done 5 or 6 nights babysitting and last night we had Harry overnight while daughter and sil went away to celebrate their wedding anniversary. We survived and so did he, although it seems daughter was really missing him, although not at 5.30 when he woke up?

We stayed for a couple of nights up in Terrigal, although they insisted on driving us up there and stayed the first day with us. So much for giving them a break????

We have a car rented for a week now and that makes a difference when we babysit during the day, not totally tied to the house.

Sorry Elliot family for poaching your thread and thanks Kelly for your reply.

Cheers Pam

ps. Coming to Coolum in December, I'll look out for you, lol

Hi Kelly, sorry about the delay, I have only just seen your reply.

We have been here almost 3 weeks now and are loving it (again)!

With the exception of the heat, we have all survived well so far.

We have done 5 or 6 nights babysitting and last night we had Harry overnight while daughter and sil went away to celebrate their wedding anniversary. We survived and so did he, although it seems daughter was really missing him, although not at 5.30 when he woke up?

We stayed for a couple of nights up in Terrigal, although they insisted on driving us up there and stayed the first day with us. So much for giving them a break????

We have a car rented for a week now and that makes a difference when we babysit during the day, not totally tied to the house.

Sorry Elliot family for poaching your thread and thanks Kelly for your reply.

Cheers Pam

ps. Coming to Coolum in December, I'll look out for you, lol

thats OK, I've just very quickly come on line. About to take my rellies to city to go on the tramcar restaurant. They're here for 1more week :cry: then they fly back to UK. The 5wks will have gone by so quick. I hope you're enjoyin your time?

To be honest we've not had too many. A couple of huntsmen and whitetails but nothing else. I'm really not good with the huntsmen because they are so big but i'm ok at relocating the smaller spiders and I really dont like spiders!!!!! :nah: We did bomb the house just after we moved in and will probably do it again before my folks arrive, but fingers crossed we've not been too bad

Great update post - thanks for that! :biggrin:

Where do you buy the "bombs" from? Are they expensive? I'm sure we will get the house sprayed when we move over - is that expensive?

Carla

Guest tandcmum

thanks for your update, it's good to know that you are managing well on one nurses wage as we will be in a similar position. I'm a band 6 nurse here in the UK and will be on top level 1 which is a basic of about 70K when we movwe to Townsville, so good to know we will be able to manage on that wage.

Sounds like you are totally embracing your new lifestyle, all the best for your next and many more years to come

Guest andyandy

Nice to hear some people are finding it easy,

I moved here (victoria) june this year and so far its been a nightmare for me, still trying to get a job

I was in IT for 10 years in the uk (same employer) also a qulified mechanic.

nobody is interested ...begining to thik its cos im english

ive had a few people say to me racist things about being english now

Pissed off and worried

Great update post - thanks for that! :biggrin:

Where do you buy the "bombs" from? Are they expensive? I'm sure we will get the house sprayed when we move over - is that expensive?

Carla

You can buy the bombs from Bunnings and they only cost about $20 i think. Not too sure how much it cost to get house professionally sprayed. I bought some stuff also from Bunnings that protects for 6months so have sprayed that and it cost about $30 i think maybe less so not bothered with a professional spray

regards