You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

The Pom Queen

UK bringing out immigration test

They'll be grilled on topics including the Civil War and Battle of Britain — and only those who pass will be allowed to stay here.

The Prime Minister is calling for tougher immigration rules and better testing in a drive to cut the number of migrants to 1980s levels.

He said: "Britain will always be open to those who are seeking asylum from persecution.

"But excessive immigration brings pressures, real pressures, on communities up and down the country, and compounds the failure of our welfare system."

We got Oxford historian MARK ALMOND to set ten questions for a test. But how many could YOU answer correctly? The solutions are below.

1. When did Magna Carta establish trial by jury?

a) 1066; b) 1215; c) 1973.

2. Henry VIII had a) Six mistresses; b) Six religions; c) Six wives.

3. Oliver Cromwell told an artist:

a) I don't want to be painted; b) Paint me warts and all; c) Make me look beautiful.

4. The Battle Of Hastings took place in:

a) 1066; b) 1966; c) 2006.

5. Which of these things DIDN'T English explorer Sir Walter Raleigh discover:

a) The potato; b) Tobacco; c) Fish and chips.

6. Winston Churchill said "Never has so much been owed by so many to so few" about:

a) The Battle of Waterloo in 1815; b) The National Debt in 1945; c) The RAF in 1940.

7. The Peasants revolted against the poll tax in:

a) 1381; b) 1848; c) 1990.

8. The English general who smashed Napoleon's armies at the Battle Of Waterloo was the:

a) Duke of Wellington; b) Duke of Mackintosh; c) Duke of Hazzard.

9. British scientist Charles Darwin was the first to say humans are related to:

a) Monkeys; b) Beatles; c) Dinosaurs.

10. Tony Blair apologised for Britain's role in the:

a) Crusades; b) Iraq War; c) Irish Potato Famine.

I'm sorry but we had to do the one for our Aussie citizenship, I don't really understand the need for it.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

But the UK already had a knowledge test - I had to sit it for my UK indefinite leave to remain.

But it didn't seem so much history - when I asked some ENglish friends some of the questions that were on the test, most of them couldn't answer it!

lol

Jo (Aussie), Jon (Pom on a 100 visa), Satch (the gorgeous viscous labrador) have now been joined by Siena Rose.

Does anyone have a spare instruction manual for a baby girl?

I don't understand why they put it in the news then, but I must admit I didn't know they already had one.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I don't understand why they put it in the news then, but I must admit I didn't know they already had one.

To try and create a outcry! It is called Life in the UK test http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ and it is similar to the Australian Citizenship Test. I did practice tests for 6 hours just before the test and completed the test in 3mins. I was then was presented with my test out comes letter by a bloke that had a very thick Eastern European accent who said " Congratulations you are on you way to becoming a British citizen!", talk about outsourcing :biglaugh:

I found the test to be more about language ability then Knowledge!

TRA Submitted 24/03/11,TRA Successful 18/04/11,WA SA Submitted 19/04/11,WA Approved 20/05/11,176 Visa lodged 20/05/11,Form 1100 to DIAC 22/06/11,CO Assigned 05/07/11,Medicals 19/9/11 Finalized 27/09/11,S.Africa+UK PCC sent to CO 6/10/11,VISA Granted 7/10/11!

To try and create a outcry! It is called Life in the UK test http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ and it is similar to the Australian Citizenship Test. I did practice tests for 6 hours just before the test and completed the test in 3mins. I was then was presented with my test out comes letter by a bloke that had a very thick Eastern European accent who said " Congratulations you are on you way to becoming a British citizen!", talk about outsourcing :biglaugh:

I found the test to be more about language ability then Knowledge!

Rather than basing it on UK history of which half of the Brits wouldn't have a clue, why don't they get you to write your life story and why you think you deserve to become a citizen.

A few words spring to mind :idea:

door...horse...shutting...bolted...after :rolleyes:

Yet another pointless exercise by yet another weak spineless government, nothing will change, it never does anymore :SLEEP:

PS, sorry about the apathy Tone:wink:

Rather than basing it on UK history of which half of the Brits wouldn't have a clue, why don't they get you to write your life story and why you think you deserve to become a citizen.

No thanks I prefer a 3 min test thanks, I have taken a peek at Ozzie equivalent and it looks like I might be spending about 3 mins on it as well:biggrin:

TRA Submitted 24/03/11,TRA Successful 18/04/11,WA SA Submitted 19/04/11,WA Approved 20/05/11,176 Visa lodged 20/05/11,Form 1100 to DIAC 22/06/11,CO Assigned 05/07/11,Medicals 19/9/11 Finalized 27/09/11,S.Africa+UK PCC sent to CO 6/10/11,VISA Granted 7/10/11!

Yep,pathetic!Much,Much too late now!In fact it'll be vice versa soon,it's so crap there now unfortunately.Blair was the final and ultimate disgraceful traitor IMO.!:yes::sad:

Guest Andy
A few words spring to mind :idea:

door...horse...shutting...bolted...after :rolleyes:

Yet another pointless exercise by yet another weak spineless government, nothing will change, it never does anymore :SLEEP:

PS, sorry about the apathy Tone:wink:

Spot on, whats the point in doing anything now, we are already full to bursting and the population is due to go through the roof in the next few years and a lot of that will be due to immigration. I reckon just let anyone in who wants to come and be done with it, when all our resources and money has run out and the benefit system has imploded and the country has been bled dry then maybe everyone will move on :SLEEP:

The Life in the UK test is just that though. Its to assess that people have understanding of day to day life around them, situations and language ability (as in their English is good enough they can read it and reply).

Its not an immigration test like the Aus one or the one they appear to be considering for the UK. That is more a history test of the country you are hoping to get citizenship to. To show you have a good understanding of its historical events and culture and have obviously taken the time to learn about it.

I think in a way I like the idea of it. It shows hopefully people have made an effort, have some general knowledge of the country's past and so on. As to if it helps anything, I doubt it. Anyone can swot up on history and stuff. Or guess.