The Pom Queen

Man sentenced to 32 years in jail for hitting child with belt

I wish someone would have told my dad that, I use to always get a belt or a slipper:sad:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

when I was at primary school (only 30 years ago), kids as young as 8 would be slippered. There was only one male teacher so he always had to do it as the females couldn't do it hard enough. He used to ask the class to show their shoes/trainers so he could select one. This could be for something minor like a poor spelling test result.

Mind you, kids did not screw around in those days.....a poor spelling result is just about the worst thing kids did back then. They stopped corporal punishment when I was half way through secondary. That's when the whole system fell apart, kids could then do what they wanted to disrupt things and pretty much get away with anything. Before then, the teachers just had to mention the word cane and the kids shut up. Never heard of anyone getting it, but the threat was enough.

Not condoning what the guy did above, it must have been pretty extreme for that sentence.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

I can remember the ruler at school I would get it across my knuckles, we wouldn't dare argue back with the teachers or our parents.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

I also remeber (don't get whacked now, so can made spelling mistakes!) our Geography teacher would throw the board duster (the ones with the heavy wooden handles) across the room at anyone who dared to speak! Pretty lethal stuff! Our French teacher used to wear a load of diamond rings and would whack you across the head with them before dragging you to the front by the ear!!

This stuff worked.

READ FIRST: please note that my posts are my own personal opinions based on my experiences. These are MY OPINIONS pure and simple, NOT a statement of fact.

Gosh I'm glad I wasn't around back then! I think my mum said she used to have the cane or a ruler when she was a kid.

I also remeber (don't get whacked now, so can made spelling mistakes!) our Geography teacher would throw the board duster (the ones with the heavy wooden handles) across the room at anyone who dared to speak! Pretty lethal stuff! Our French teacher used to wear a load of diamond rings and would whack you across the head with them before dragging you to the front by the ear!!

This stuff worked.

Ooh, my maths teacher would throw the wooden board duster too! Maybe it's the same person....:confused: I hated him with a passion, TBH his scare tactics did the opposite with me and I was rubbish at maths.

And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first time.

That's when the whole system fell apart, kids could then do what they wanted to disrupt things and pretty much get away with anything.

If I had a penny for everytime I've heard 'yeah, and what are you gonna do about it? There isn't anything you can do - I know my rights.' from some 'orrible little griot. Sadly, they are absolutely spot on :frown:

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

If I had a penny for everytime I've heard 'yeah, and what are you gonna do about it? There isn't anything you can do - I know my rights.' from some 'orrible little griot. Sadly, they are absolutely spot on :frown:

I'm sorry but I could never be a teacher:no: look at the one in France who had a run in with her students so went in to the yard and set fire to herself:no: although I feel sorry that anyone could get that down I don't think she should have done this in front of the children, it will scar them for life:sad:

I'm sorry but I could never be a teacher:no: look at the one in France who had a run in with her students so went in to the yard and set fire to herself:no: although I feel sorry that anyone could get that down I don't think she should have done this in front of the children, it will scar them for life:sad:

One would think there were rather large mental health issues here, I feel very sorry for the lady, but she probably was not thinking particularly straight, let along enough to be thinking 'not in front of the children', lets face it, you've got to be pretty ill and/or desperate to think setting yourself on fire in any way is a good idea. No winners there at all.....

(And don't be sorry for not wanting to be a teacher - a) there aren't really enough jobs for us all anyway and b) you have to be slightly weird I reckon to be one anyway :biglaugh: )

Moved on a 179 PR visa Feb 2012; Citizenship granted Jan 2016. Settled in Adelaide. Loving it and feel like everyday is paradise compared to life in the UK.

(And don't be sorry for not wanting to be a teacher - a) there aren't really enough jobs for us all anyway and b) you have to be slightly weird I reckon to be one anyway :biglaugh: )

I have lots of respect for teachers, I struggle with my own never mind 25 of them in one little room:arghh:

What ages do you teach?