Self employed hairdresser skills assessment requirements??

Guest EmmaDaveDaisy

Guest EmmaDaveDaisy

Hi All,

I am currently investigating applying for my Skills Assessment as a Hairdresser to then apply for a 176 SS Visa. I have been working as a Self Employed Mobile Hairdresser for 10 years now and am finding it hard to gather all the required documentation they want for the Skills assessment. I have a client base of over 100 people and have built up my business through word of mouth mainly. Has anyone else applied in the same situation?? And what evidence did you provide??

HELP!!

Emma x

Guest sun lovers
Hi All,

I am currently investigating applying for my Skills Assessment as a Hairdresser to then apply for a 176 SS Visa. I have been working as a Self Employed Mobile Hairdresser for 10 years now and am finding it hard to gather all the required documentation they want for the Skills assessment. I have a client base of over 100 people and have built up my business through word of mouth mainly. Has anyone else applied in the same situation?? And what evidence did you provide??

HELP!!

Emma x

Hi emma i have my own business and had to show self assement tax returns,advertizing, invoices, obviously all your papers and the apprentiship, you have to prove you are currently are practising as a hairdresser, any recent courses you have been on. everything that proves you are still in the trade. we did ours in 2008 and have recently got CO, and had to show this all again. the more evidence you put in the better, hope this helps a bit :biggrin: Just thought i had to get letters of of cleints, also wholsalers were we bought products from.

Yep I had to prove everything from when I started training, even had to get a ex employer to the solicitors.

They wanted tax returns, a letter from my accountant, trade references from companies I deal with, 5 client statements from old job, 5 from self employed, staff declarations, collage reference, business cards, adverts, wage slips from old job or contracts

Basically everything from when you started out, Good luck :)

Guest EmmaDaveDaisy

Thanks so much to you both for your replies. I am getting together everything I can possibly think of to prove I am working as a Hairdresser and have been for 10 years. I am even going to get copies of my works diary entries showing clients booked in for appointments which shows dates/times and what they were having done. I have all my diaries from the last 3 years so thought maybe a page or 2 from each week or month. Do you think this would help??

I havent used an accountant for 5 years as I found it easy filing my own tax return online. I have got proof of all returns from the tax office. I also only ever use 1 Wholesalers as where I live there isnt a great choice, they are writing me a statement. I have plenty of clients willing to write me references but only have an advert copy from 2 years ago as I only advertised for a short while after I had been travelling (to Oz) to let clients know I was back and working again. All my client base had been built up purely through word of mouth..I hope all this is going to be enough evidence??!!!!!! I can only hope!!!!

Thanks again for any info..Are you both living and working in Oz as hairdressers?

Emma X

Guest sun lovers
Thanks so much to you both for your replies. I am getting together everything I can possibly think of to prove I am working as a Hairdresser and have been for 10 years. I am even going to get copies of my works diary entries showing clients booked in for appointments which shows dates/times and what they were having done. I have all my diaries from the last 3 years so thought maybe a page or 2 from each week or month. Do you think this would help??

I havent used an accountant for 5 years as I found it easy filing my own tax return online. I have got proof of all returns from the tax office. I also only ever use 1 Wholesalers as where I live there isnt a great choice, they are writing me a statement. I have plenty of clients willing to write me references but only have an advert copy from 2 years ago as I only advertised for a short while after I had been travelling (to Oz) to let clients know I was back and working again. All my client base had been built up purely through word of mouth..I hope all this is going to be enough evidence??!!!!!! I can only hope!!!!

Thanks again for any info..Are you both living and working in Oz as hairdressers?

Emma X

Hi Emma make sure you put in copies of your apprentiship papers and show the hours you done while learning, it should say on your papers, you have to have done so many can't remember now what it was sorry. college reports, any comp you may have won, We are still in good old blighty, but hoping to get to WA x

Hi,I just sent in business account bank statement's, copy of hairdressing insurance,tax returns,proof of my NI contributions,receipts from wholesalers,letters from clients,photocopied a few pages from my appointment book,letter from my old employer,copies from all my hairdressing certificates,basically you just have to prove that your in the job you say your applying for and that you do a minimum of 20 hours per week as they questioned one of my tax returns saying that i couldn't of done the minimum amount of hours they require for how much money I'd earn that year,but I just sent a letter saying i was on maternity leave for part of the year. Good luck with your application,

Guest EmmaDaveDaisy

Thanks everyone for your help. How many client statements/contact details should I include?? Don't want to involve too many people if not necessary but obviously need to include enough!

Thanks x