Campervanning with a toddler

Guest going2melbourne

Guest going2melbourne

Hello,

We are just planning our emigration, leaving UK in February 2012. Before we arrive in Melbourne we want to travel around a bit and we will also be with two friends for a couple of weeks. So we thought of getting a campervan but I don't know if that is insane as we have a daughter who will be about 22 months old with us! Has anyone done a similar kind of road trip with a toddler in tow? Would love any advice, experiences, recommendations etc. In particular what kind of vehicle to go for :)

Many thanks!

Leah x

• 1 month later...
Guest nikkidel

We just drove down from Brisbane to Jervis Bay (few hours below Sydney) with four children under the age of 6! So no, I don't think you're crazy.

We took five days to do it, but in hindsight a couple of weeks would have been better to give us more time to rest with the little ones after each stint of driving...also because dh was working the whole time too.

Anyway, we didn't have a camper but booked an 8 seater car which was big enough for us and all our luggage, and we booked holiday accommodation along the way and it worked out fine. We really enjoyed it, but as I said, the only thing we would have done differently is have two or three nights in each place rather than just one.

:-)

Guest going2melbourne

oh wow, that sounds amazing nikkidel! Everyone I've spoken to who has done a similar trip said it went really well and that kids love it. So we're definitely going to do it. Not sure yet whether to get a motorhome or whether to get a car and stay in accommodation on route; depends very much on cost so I suspect motorhome will win :)