Sign in to follow this  
Harpodom

Geelong! What a funny old place..........!

At first, Geelong scared me. For a town (city) with a population of 200,000 it's incredible how small it feels. I just thought I'd share some peculiar experiences of Geelong life, and wonder if anyone else has experienced similar.

The Geelong Cats are arguably the greatest ever team of footballers, playing the most prominent 'code' in Aus. But these guys are locals alright. In 3 years, I've had 3 personal run ins with local footy legends.

Cameron Ling

2 years ago, in my role as fill in bowler for the North Geelong VI's (!?), I bowled an over of what could best be described as 'buffet bowling' at him. Nice fella, but he couldn't help smiling as he biffed me all over the park. I took it in the nature it was intended: middle aged fat English bloke providing a (not really needed) confidence boost to a local legend during the off season! He certainly didnt get any exercise as he stood there, Viv Richards style. In the bar at half time he was just one of the lads playing for his old school, St Joey's.

Joel Selwood

About a year ago, I was driving into the car park near Officeworks when this fella in flash new car reversed into the side of my car. He got out, apologised, we swapped details. I had no idea who he was, I just thought he looked like yet another cashed up tradie TBH (he towered over me, looked as fit as a butcher's dog, very much an alpha male). I rang my insurance company next day, and was informed by the call operator that Joel Selwood was in fact a very well known 'Catter'.

Darren (Dasher) Millburn

Another Cat's legend. My lad is in the same kindy class as this bloke's lad. Again, huge bloke, he did a session with the kindy kids teaching them about footy.

My Brain Hurts!

Great that that all seem down to earth, unlike the prima donnas of the premier league.

I agree Rob, looking back it's refreshing that these guys are just normal blokes. They don't get paid silly money like the footballers in England or Spain. Cameron Ling is well and truly local: grew up in Geelong, went to school here, his mum works in a local palliative care facility.

Primna donnas they ain't

My Brain Hurts!

my husband's family are from Geelong and life long supporters of the Cats and they constantly tell me that AFL players in general are not the like our football primadonnas. My husband is going to take our son to Kirdinnia (sp) Park when we move to Aus to in November (depends when we make to Vic from NSW).

Do get a sense that players in AFL tend to be "locals" and not just playing for a team who best top dollar.