eatons Hill- what's it like?

debbie13

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have lived in Eatons Hill for 2.5 years now, having bought a house here. We really like the area as we are surrounded by hills and trees but have the convenience of local amenities not far away. Alot of Brisbane people think it is out in the sticks, being approximately 18kms from the city centre but the advantage is that this means house prices are considerably cheaper than closer in. I commute into the CBD each day and it's about an hour door to door as I drive to Strathpine (approx 10 minutes) catch the train from Strathpine to Brisbane Central (about 35 minutes) and then walk to the office on Eagle Street (10 minutes). It is a safe place for kids to grow up and the majority of people who live here are families. One thing you might want to know is that there are not that many rental properties in the area so you may struggle to find one immediately. You could consider surrounding places like Cashmere, Joyner, Albany Creek and Warner if you can't find anywhere in Eatons Hill to rent.

Our kids go to the local state primary school and we have been very happy with the standard of education there and they have easily made friends. We have good neighbours in the close in which we live and, although, we don't live in each others' pockets, our kids all play together and we are there for each other if needed.

Eatons Hill is still developing as an area. The older parts are probably about 30 years old but we live in area where houses date from about 7 years ago.

If you want any more information about Eatons Hill, just give me a shout.

Thank you so much that is very useful. :jiggy:I have looked at a few rental properties- admit only via the internet websites.

Just wondered how easy it is to get the children into the state school if they don't live in Eatons Hill, even when some of the areas you mentioned are in the catchment area- I know that back home where school places are limited being within the catchment area doesn't guarantee you a place whereas if you reside in the same town as the school you are more likely to get in.

As far as getting into State Schools is concerned, if you live in catchment then I believe you are entitled to send your child to the school and they have to make space. If necessary they have to hire another teacher and create a new class for a year group if there is demand from children living within catchment.

Eatons Hill State School is close to capacity at present and, as a result, the authorities changed the catchment area fairly recently cutting out large parts of Warner from the catchment. The school population does however fluctuate as there is a fair proportion of Australian Forces kids who come and go as we are a few km from the Enoggera Army Base and there are a several forces properties for families around Eatons Hill.

For enrolment you will need to actually have proof of residence in the catchment. A copy of your lease agreement is all that you'll need for that.

How old are your children and how many do you have?

If you do settle in Eatons Hill, perhaps we can catch up sometime?

We moving in end of December/early January, in time for new school year. I've got two children, my son who is 7 in january and my daughter who has just turned 4( I believe she will not be able to attend pre primary until 2013 so I've got some child care issues to sort out or kindergarten- although I understand these places are very hard to come by). All this will determine when I can go back to work myself.

How old are your children, did they find the adjustment difficult in any way?

It would be good to meet up, I will let you know when we get there and perhaps you could give us the guided tour!!:wink:

Hi Debbie

I've got 2 boys (identical twins) who are 11 in January and a girl who will be 7 in February so your son has a 20% chance of ending up in her class! Yes, kindergarten places are hard to come by. We moved over here in July 2008 and were put at the bottom of waiting lists for about 4 C&K pre-prep places. We didn't think we would get anything and would just have to make do with less structured childcare but on the first day of term we had a call to say that someone had dropped out of Ascot C&K and would we like the place (we were renting in Clayfield at the time). The popular pre-prep kindy in our area is Mother Duck but they camp out overnight to get places there. However, you could still contact them, explain your situation and they may be able to help.

We did have a few problems with our boys settling in to school as they started out at Eagle Junction State School which is in Clayfield, a particularly snobby part of Brisbane with predominantly white moneyed Australians. The other kids picked on them because they were British and living in a modest rental property without a swimming pool and tennis court! There was also probably some jealousy involved as they were more advanced in their studies than their Aussie counterparts because we start school in the UK earlier than in Oz... My one son even had a note passed to him in class suggesting that he might like to go and kill himself. However, once they moved to Eatons Hill and the more normal environment of EH State School they became alot happier. Bullying seems to be quite common in Aussie schools (and society) but you just have to talk to the teachers/stand up to the bullies. The son who received the note is still receiving counselling from a school counsellor (excellent service!) as when he moved to EH State School he started to have panic attacks because he was worried that the kids there would be as bad as at the other school. He is now alot happier, has made good friends and has excellent support from his teachers. This particular son is quite a sensitive soul so it was unfortunate that he met up with nasty kids first time round.

We would be happy to give you the guided tour once you get here. Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Lucy

Lucy

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It must have been a very difficult time for you, when your son was being bullied, as parents we hope they adjust quickly but don't consider the fact they may be up against opposition from their peers. I'm glad he has found Eatons Hill more welcoming, I hope it will be the same for my son.

If I have any other queries I will contact you.

Thanks again for your help

Debbie (dreaming of a better life in Oz):wink:

Hi there Loopylu and Debbie13, we have just moved to Brisbane and we too are looking at Eatons Hill or Albany Creek as possible places to live. Found your posts really useful. Wondered if you know anything about the schools in AC. My hubby will be commuting into Eagle Street also, are there buses or is it easier to go by train? I was sorry to hear about your son and the bullying, that's awful. I have 3 kids aged nearly 5, nearly 3 and 1. I would love to catch up at some time if you are free Loopylu and Debbie13 when you move over (hopefully I too will feel a bit more like a 'local' then!!), good luck with the move. Jane

That sounds good, it will be nice to meet up with people in a similar situation, as I am sure I will be daunted by the whole situation, especially as my OH will be working away for up to 2 weeks at a time.:arghh:

Get in touch when you get here and keep me posted on how it's going. I also know another family due to move over early next year who should be in/around the same areas. Is your hubby working in the mines doing fly in fly out? What does he do?

Let me know if you need anymore info in the meantime.

Jane

Hi Jane

I'd be happy to meet up with you and fill you in on Eatons Hill and Albany Creek.

I've heard nothing bad about the two state schools in Albany Creek and have friends whose kids go there.

I train it into the city because I find it easier to read/relax on trains than buses! Also, I think the trains are slightly more regular which helps when you are working irregular hours as I often do. There is a bus service to the city that picks up along Queen Elizabeth Drive (the main drag) in Eatons Hill and I used it recently to get home when the trains weren't running. It was fine and not overcrowded.

Which building is your husband working in on Eagle Street? I'm in Waterfront Place and from my desk on the 23rd floor have a great view over the river and out to Moreton and Stradbroke Islands!

PM me if you want to arrange a meet up.

Cheers

Lucy

Hi Jane

My husband will be doing the fly in fly out, but not in the mines, he's working for a company reparing roads and building new ones in remote areas. When he's not working away he will be based in the office in Brisbane, Eight Mile plains.

I hoping that once the children are settled and Ive sorted out childcare that I'l be able to go back to work - need to for my own sanity I think!

Hi Jane

My husband will be doing the fly in fly out, but not in the mines, he's working for a company reparing roads and building new ones in remote areas. When he's not working away he will be based in the office in Brisbane, Eight Mile plains.

I hoping that once the children are settled and Ive sorted out childcare that I'l be able to go back to work - need to for my own sanity I think!

Well keep in touch and feel free to ask me anything and if I can help I will. Look forward to meeting you when you get out.

Hi guys, my husband commutes to the city and is originally from Albany Creek, we live in Bray Park and AC is about a 10 min drive away, I do my grocery shopping there I love it so much!

We have two kids 7 and 4, our 7yr old goes to Strathpine West State School and loves it.

Am happy to help with any queries too, sometimes feel a bit lost when my husband is at work!

Hi guys, my husband commutes to the city and is originally from Albany Creek, we live in Bray Park and AC is about a 10 min drive away, I do my grocery shopping there I love it so much!

We have two kids 7 and 4, our 7yr old goes to Strathpine West State School and loves it.

Am happy to help with any queries too, sometimes feel a bit lost when my husband is at work!

Hi there!

Was it nice living in Albany Creek, we currently looking at AC, Bridgeman Downs, Eatons Hill areas.

Would be nice to catch up in the park sometime. Are there any nice parks around there that I should know about?

Hope you are having a good day.

Jane

Hi there!

Was it nice living in Albany Creek, we currently looking at AC, Bridgeman Downs, Eatons Hill areas.

Would be nice to catch up in the park sometime. Are there any nice parks around there that I should know about?

Hope you are having a good day.

Jane

Hi Jane, Albany Creek is really nice, my husband lived there his whole life, went to Albany Creek State School then onto the high school.

There are some really nice parks very close to where I am and I would love to meet up sometime.

Where are you living at the moment?

Bel

Hi Jane, Albany Creek is really nice, my husband lived there his whole life, went to Albany Creek State School then onto the high school.

There are some really nice parks very close to where I am and I would love to meet up sometime.

Where are you living at the moment?

Bel

Hi Bel

We are in the city at the moment in an apartment that courtesy of my husband's company until we find somewhere which is great. We've put in an application on a place in Bridgeman Downs and also one in Albany Creek. The AC one doesn't have aircon though and that kinda worries me!! Do you think it will be possibly to get through a summer without aircon? I have a feeling we won't get the BD place because there was another application in before ours which will probably be way easier to process!

My new Aussie phone has literally just arrived so I will check the number and PM it to you and we can organise a catch up.

Jane

Jane

Sorry to butt in on your question to MRSB, but I would not rent a house in Brisbane that has absolutely no air con. This is especially the case if you have youngish kids who might get sick during summer and therefore need relief from the heat. You could, however, probably cope if there were just one unit in the main living area of the house. We managed in our first rental with one unit in the lounge.

Perhaps this is an issue that you could raise with the Real Estate Agent about the house as the cost of installing one unit would not be that much for the landlord to swallow... You could also try portable air con units but I have heard that they don't function too well in tropical humid heat.

Fingers crossed that you get the Bridgeman Downs property. Have you tried offering to pay a few months' rent up front? Often sweeteners like this can swing it for you.

Cheers

Lucy

Jane

Sorry to butt in on your question to MRSB, but I would not rent a house in Brisbane that has absolutely no air con. This is especially the case if you have youngish kids who might get sick during summer and therefore need relief from the heat. You could, however, probably cope if there were just one unit in the main living area of the house. We managed in our first rental with one unit in the lounge.

Perhaps this is an issue that you could raise with the Real Estate Agent about the house as the cost of installing one unit would not be that much for the landlord to swallow... You could also try portable air con units but I have heard that they don't function too well in tropical humid heat.

Fingers crossed that you get the Bridgeman Downs property. Have you tried offering to pay a few months' rent up front? Often sweeteners like this can swing it for you.

Cheers

Lucy

Thank you Lucy, really appreciate your reply. Having not been here for a Summer (have lived in Miami which had high humidity in the Summer though and couldn't have coped there without aircon) so wasn't quite sure!! Good idea about the up front rent, might have to try that or asking if they could put an aircon in like you said and some rent up front.... that might swing it!! Cheers again. Jane PS And yes apologies from me too on butting into this chat and bringing up my own issues!! Brilliant source of info on here though eh!

Thank you Lucy, really appreciate your reply. Having not been here for a Summer (have lived in Miami which had high humidity in the Summer though and couldn't have coped there without aircon) so wasn't quite sure!! Good idea about the up front rent, might have to try that or asking if they could put an aircon in like you said and some rent up front.... that might swing it!! Cheers again. Jane PS And yes apologies from me too on butting into this chat and bringing up my own issues!! Brilliant source of info on here though eh!

I agree. It's interesting to see how others find the emigration experience and how they cope (or not!!). How long have you got until you have to find somewhere else to rent? Hopefully you have a bit of time to choose somewhere to live. New properties come on the rental market all the time and it would be awful to settle for somewhere less than ideal only to find that an extra week could have bought you a better place to live.:goofy:

Hi Bel

We are in the city at the moment in an apartment that courtesy of my husband's company until we find somewhere which is great. We've put in an application on a place in Bridgeman Downs and also one in Albany Creek. The AC one doesn't have aircon though and that kinda worries me!! Do you think it will be possibly to get through a summer without aircon? I have a feeling we won't get the BD place because there was another application in before ours which will probably be way easier to process!

My new Aussie phone has literally just arrived so I will check the number and PM it to you and we can organise a catch up.

Jane

Hi Jane,

To be honest having no air con wouldn't bother me, this will be my 5th summer here and you do get used to it, we have air con in our house but we don't use it, we just put the ceiling fans on to get the air circulating. Also I think you notice the heat a lot more when you spend time in an air conditioned place, you go from being cool and comfy to what feels like walking into a furnace when you walk outside, I think if you can put up with the heat then do. :smile:

I look forward to hearing from you re a meet up.

Bel x

Hi Jane,

To be honest having no air con wouldn't bother me, this will be my 5th summer here and you do get used to it, we have air con in our house but we don't use it, we just put the ceiling fans on to get the air circulating. Also I think you notice the heat a lot more when you spend time in an air conditioned place, you go from being cool and comfy to what feels like walking into a furnace when you walk outside, I think if you can put up with the heat then do. :smile:

I look forward to hearing from you re a meet up.

Bel x

Bel

I agree that you can live without aircon and, like you, we generally only use the ceiling fans and avoid switching on the air con. At the end of the day it is very expensive to run air con all the time and also very bad for the environment. We only really use ours if we are at the end of our tether with the heat, someone is ill or if, say, we have guests over and want to eat a hot meal indoors in comfort (eg on Christmas Day!).

Personally, I would still go for a house where I have the option to use air con...

Cheers Lucy :biggrin:

Bel

I agree that you can live without aircon and, like you, we generally only use the ceiling fans and avoid switching on the air con. At the end of the day it is very expensive to run air con all the time and also very bad for the environment. We only really use ours if we are at the end of our tether with the heat, someone is ill or if, say, we have guests over and want to eat a hot meal indoors in comfort (eg on Christmas Day!).

Personally, I would still go for a house where I have the option to use air con...

Cheers Lucy :biggrin:

Yes absolutely agree, my mother in law had it on last christmas so we could eat in comfort! It was quite nice to see air con in this house, we know it's there if we really need it! :yes:

Bel

Guest Pete the Feet

Good choice if any of the Northern suburbs of Brisbane, used to deliver around that area a lot, if your going into the city it can be a pain first thing in the morning.